Some from the AP Masterclass

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
I think this is my first submission for C&C, please don't feel you have to be kind, I'm a big boy and can take criticism!

A couple of them are printed in the magazine but others aren't and this is their first showing. As always, A4 prints of them look way better than any web ones ever can but it would be a bit expensive to provide you all with A4 sets to pull to pieces!

#1) This one is in the mag but PPed slightly differently.
4882595121_8821627b92_z.jpg

#2) This one isn't. Looking up through some runner bean canes.
4882594803_70dbc2f1e6_z.jpg

#3) Again, in the mag & similar PP.
4883200902_027cbec9fc_z.jpg

#4) Not in mag. A nice, peaceful spot until the public were let in...
4882594315_d25639af0e_z.jpg

#5) In the mag but PPed using PSE7's IR preset mono conversion.
4883200398_2fb023a889_z.jpg

#6) Not in mag. Taken from ground level - NOT an easy level for me to get up from!
4882593845_24da6a1ca2_z.jpg

c and c is useless if you get 'great shot, good pov, great dof, amazing colours'

my quick take on all 6
1 busy and pleasant..seems dull on my screen
2 and 3 lens trickery pockery..subject matter secondary
4 good b>w with eye leading composition...leaves in top right..clone out
5 good b>w..how did you get the tonal range?...but i hate really hate central vista gimmicks..sorry
6 the best of them for me...diagonal comp l to r...interest in background and sky filled with something other than nothing..a slight feeling of speed or movement in the lower left corner in the purply flowers..aberration i guess on a w/a lens??

best of luck
geof

On the day, the sky was filled with nothing! Shortly after #6 was taken, the black cloud started emptying itself on us so we gave up! In some ways, it was a shame the brief was garden scenes - the dull weather made it hard to get any sort of interest in the sky but was perfect for shots of individual flowers.

The apparent movement/aberation in the bottom left hand corner is lack of DoF - those flowers were almost touching the lens so are simply OOF.

Tonal range in #5 is all down to PSE 7's IR preset mono conversion and the camera (P mode) getting the exposure right in the first place. It was shot as an almost abstract, deliberately ignoring the rule of thirds and the one that says avoid central compositions!

Yup, #2 and #3 are a bit Marmite! They both just cried out for the fisheye to me at the time, so out it came.

#4, I personally dislike empty spaces in corners, especially in B&W, so left those leaves in.

Thanks for the crit; anyone else?

On the day, the sky was filled with nothing! Shortly after #6 was taken, the black cloud started emptying itself on us so we gave up! In some ways, it was a shame the brief was garden scenes - the dull weather made it hard to get any sort of interest in the sky but was perfect for shots of individual flowers.

The apparent movement/aberation in the bottom left hand corner is lack of DoF - those flowers were almost touching the lens so are simply OOF.

Tonal range in #5 is all down to PSE 7's IR preset mono conversion and the camera (P mode) getting the exposure right in the first place. It was shot as an almost abstract, deliberately ignoring the rule of thirds and the one that says avoid central compositions!

Yup, #2 and #3 are a bit Marmite! They both just cried out for the fisheye to me at the time, so out it came.

#4, I personally dislike empty spaces in corners, especially in B&W, so left those leaves in.

Thanks for the crit; anyone else?

well handled rebuttal...you win the case...
cheers..(y)

Back