Some from the London Meet

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks mate, very kind.

Andy

Right - I've had enough of the "flickr feedback" time for some proper critique (or at least a little more in depth than we've managed so far...)

#1 - Overall, I really like this shot - that Bessa/40mm Nokton has me looking on the 'bay for a R3a/R4a every time I see shots from it. It seems a lovely sharp lens, and the resolving power is excellent, the amount of details in this shot, especially with the Ektar 100 is just wonderful. I like the composition, the only thing I wish is that the sailing boat had been on the right hand third, but hey... sometimes you have to play the cards your dealt.

#2 - again, sharp, detailed and well exposed, though I think that if the city cruise boat had been a little further into frame i'd have preferred it. Also, I'm not too keen on the dark shadow at the bottom RHS of frame.

#3 - as I'm sure you know, I'm really not a people photographer, so I'm not going to go into any great depth on this one, but I do like the atmosphere that it conveys.

#4 - Now this one I really like, lovely and sharp, well exposed in difficult conditions, and processed with a lovely range of tones - a really nice full spectrum black and white shot. The composition works for me, really drawing the eye along the alley, and on into the darkness. I would however be tempted to spot-out the fibre/hair showing white in the grey "roof" at top of frame ;)

Thanks Rooban and Rob.

And as usual thanks Mark, I like your critique, I always feel that you spot things I miss.

1. I agree about the boat but he wasn't going anywhere fast, in fact one of the cruisers nearly took him out. I don't think I've shot a camera/lens combo that comes close to this for detail and sharpness. Get yourself one, go on, you know you want to.

2. Never noticed the shadow but you're right its better without. I couldn't decide when to pull the trigger on this one and I think a second later may have been better.

3. To be honest I would have been more pleased if the people were'nt there as I wanted a shot of the tube train... oh well it was mid-afternoon on a summer sunday I suppose you would expext there to be people.

4. Probably my fave as well. Saw the gas lamp half way down and knew it would be a good shot. Never noticed the fibre, well spotted.

Cheers

Andy

...Never noticed the fibre, well spotted....

That's spending the last week off and on re-scanning some old negatives that appeared to have been dried in a hoover bag - i think i've got a little over-sensitised to spots/fibres/airs and all the other crepe you get on 20-30 year old negatives!

Have been meaning to comment for a little while. That bessa and the 40mm are a cracking combo!

1) Like this one. The composition sits well and the proportions of water, scenery and sky feel right.

2) Nice boat timing for me but could have done with less water for me. Needs more sky! :)

3) I love. Its a kind of lomo effect but feels right rather than being forced.

4) Nice and sharp with good composition. Nice eye you have there!

Last edited:
Thanks Jim.

Andy

Back