Some from the Wedding.

Name
Adele
Edit My Images
Yes
I've already posted shots of the Bouquet, so here are a few from the wedding.

1. The Bride.
2044476179_9df090f9f0.jpg

2. The Boys [First time at selective colouring]
2045270784_186fe166e7.jpg

3. Baby Kisses!
2044487413_a43049b244.jpg

4. Father and the Bride
2045291526_06f238e03d.jpg

5. Bride with Father and Husband.
[Horrible background, used softfocus to try and see if it "works"]
2045297300_9b82575b15.jpg

These are by no means the "finished" product, as I am still fairly new to PP I am just "playing" and hoping for some advice and some pointers. And some CC.

Thanks for looking x

Background is everything with wedding photography (well nearly) ;)

Look how much nicer the bride and father shot is because you chose a more suitable background! Never be afraid to ask your subjects to move - look around and pick the location for your shots, once you've got a crappy background, there's nothing to do but try to make the best of it in processing, but it can usually be avoided. You have to take charge.

The bride in the car shot would have been better with a larger aperture to blur those railings in the background, but you could also have just asked the driver to move the car if there was somewhere more suitable.

Nothing there to be ashamed of at all though! (y)

As you asked for some C&C I hope you don't mind me going through them one by one. I don't really go in for outright adulation so sorry if some of this sounds a bit harsh but it's a genuine opinion and I hope it helps you to improve...

Composition is good but the focus looks like it has honed in on the car interior and so the lady's face looks a bit soft. Also the colour is a bit reddy/orange. She's also not looking particularly relaxed and has a nervous expression. I wouldn't profess to knowing everything about people photography but I've found making people feel relaxed is the best way to get good photos and a natural smile is a winner. Small talk, crap jokes and being relaxed yourself all help towards getting better photos.

2. The dreaded selective colouring...It's hard to get right and I don't think it works here. A straight B&W shot would have been better IMO. The three men on the left look too square on to look relaxed. I don't like positioning people but sometimes you have to and here they need a little tweak. Just a small turn of the shoulders would have helped. The man far right's got the idea though! Again they look a bit stiff and uncomfortable so up the banter and chat to relax them.

3. Nice shot of a moment. The background window isn't the best but you don't have time to worry about things like that when you're taking natural photos like this. If you can see things like it coming then try to move into a good position before hand but that's easier said than done.

4. Again a very square on photo. You'd want to do it more on a B&G photo but try turning them in slightly so they're not so square on the camera. It might be the small size of the photos but they don't look like they're looking at the camera.

5. You've said it yourself, a horrible background. I'm not a fan of soft focus and it doesn't rescue this one. You already know what's wrong with it so nothing to say except think about your backgrounds when doing photos like this. The man on the left is also leaning in, something a lot of people do naturally when you are using a wider angle as they think they are out of shot. Try asking people to move in a lot closer to each other. I can't remember who said it on these forums but one great bit of advice for group shots I saw was if they're not touching they are too far apart.

Hey Adele - why not use an oval mask in PP with the last one...? It might help rid the photo of much of the cluttered background and would improve the shot. 4-person photos tend to make good use of the oval mask!

i like the babies expression its looks like hes shaking his fits at u " what u looking at??"

personally i like the selective colouring but i agree with the back ground issues and that not all your subjects look that relaxed.

The background for the father and the bride shot was easier because it was before the wedding, and we werent in a confined space. The light had changed where they were having the Photo's, and I didnt really have anywhere else for them to stand....I was gutted. :(
They had the wedding reception in a pub, and I had them stood infront of the bushes, til the light moved, and was casting big horrible shadows all over their faces etc.
I was shooting this on my own, with No assistant.....and it was the first time :LOL:
As for the bride shot in the car, the "driver" was her dad, and the aperture was full blown wide open! :LOL: Oh for the joys of the kit Lens!
It has definately been a learning curve and I know what to look out for in future, thank you for your comments CT! :)
Thanks for the Tip MM!! :)
Most of the subjects werent relaxed It was freezing cold, and I think that it shows. But....you cant win them all...its definately a learning curve!

Thanks for all your comments! :)

invoice for 2p to follow

don't be afraid to take control
people react surprisingly well to someone in charge

not arf bad tho - nerve wracking isn't it!

invoice for 2p to follow

don't be afraid to take control
people react surprisingly well to someone in charge

not arf bad tho - nerve wracking isn't it!

The guy on the right who looks "more relaxed" was the one who was bossed about all day. It wasnt too bad, because they know me. So I was bossing them about [I havent even assisted on a wedding] and he got the most of it. The groom joked that "I'm just like my mother" :LOL::LOL::LOL:

All in all, it was a learning curve, its been a good day, I enjoyed myself....so....:)

That's a good outcome in itself, yes?

Yeah it is.
I was obviously glad that I knew them. I wouldnt have taken it otherwise. They didnt want a photographer, but I need to do some wedding photo's for one of my modules, so this was just a "starter" they said that they would buy the prints that they liked, because it marked 25-years anniversary, it'd be nice to have something to remember it by [remember they didnt want a photographer].
I'd conversed with the Bride and Groom previously, and basically, it was bride shots, bride and dad, lads at the church, a few at the reception, and done.
But then I got there and it was groups and this and that, and, argh!
But I just smiled, had a laugh and got on with it.
I was using my k10d with the 18-55 kit lens. I would have loved to have got a more "blurry" background. But looks like I'll have to practice with elements! :LOL:

I think the only learning curve, is going out there and doing it.

I was using my k10d with the 18-55 kit lens. I would have loved to have got a more "blurry" background. But looks like I'll have to practice with elements! :LOL:

I think the only learning curve, is going out there and doing it.

Adele - you keep mentioning the 'kit lens' as though it's an apology. While it may not be top-class-glass I'm sure it's more than capable of landing a good A4, even A3, print - so have more confidence in it dear (y)

As for the 'learning curve' being just doing it - while there is truth in that to an extent, to truly learn you need to read up on the subject and put it into practice later by either shooting as an experiment, or reviewing carefully and critically what you've already shot

And I wouldn't recommend anyone to try being a wedding tog on the basis of having a go and learning as you go along :eek:

[yes I know you didn't here Adele, just stating it for any potentially over optimistic others :D]

Adele - you keep mentioning the 'kit lens' as though it's an apology. While it may not be top-class-glass I'm sure it's more than capable of landing a good A4, even A3, print - so have more confidence in it dear (y)

As for the 'learning curve' being just doing it - while there is truth in that to an extent, to truly learn you need to read up on the subject and put it into practice later by either shooting as an experiment, or reviewing carefully and critically what you've already shot

And I wouldn't recommend anyone to try being a wedding tog on the basis of having a go and learning as you go along :eek:

[yes I know you didn't here Adele, just stating it for any potentially over optimistic others :D]

I was using the "kit lens" as an excuse...:LOL: cos I know I would have got better photos had I been using a faster lens, with a bigger apature...but least I know that. :LOL: what I also know is that they will be happy with some of the captures I have got. And that is a good thing I suppose. Whilst they are not "fantastic" and "awe-inspiring" they are things that they will be "happy with".

:LOL: I would not take a paid job for a wedding photographer, if i wasnt sure I was capable of the day. I feel that I have a lot lot lot lot more to learn, and I think "wedding photography" is the only book i dont own :LOL::LOL:

I had a good day, I enjoyed it, I'd love to assist and see a "real pro" at work...but until then! I'll let you know what they say, when they come back from honey-moon, and how many prints they order! :)

hello Adele, i got all my wedding confidence and practice on cruise ships it a factory for a good old wedding and i was doing 3 or 4 weddings a week it's an intense way of learning the good and bad. I stared very quite and apologetic but after a few weeks of group shoots of 100 or so people i soon got firm. Good direction from you gives the bridle party confidence that you know what your doing. The more you do the better you get keep going.:)

the background is something i,m always aware of when shooting weddings, and sometimes very difficult to do anything about.( we have had to remove signage etc and poles growing out of heads occasionaly :bang:)
always take two or more shots of each pose too. theres always some pillock with his eyes shut.
overall, i,m impressed.(y):clap:

the background is something i,m always aware of when shooting weddings, and sometimes very difficult to do anything about.( we have had to remove signage etc and poles growing out of heads occasionaly :bang:)
always take two or more shots of each pose too. theres always some pillock with his eyes shut.
overall, i,m impressed.(y):clap:

Yeah I made sure I got several thousand shots of each group/person to make sure I got least one good one. I'm sorting out my images curently to present them to the bride and groom, for orders. \o/ Cos even though it wasnt a paid job, they said they would probably order prints.

Which begs the question - how much to charge?!

Back