Some headshots I've taken :)

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I did use Talk Photography a while back when I was just starting out and I'd like to share some portrait photographs I've taken for Performers

I'd quite like some feedback on what you like and dis-like, but please don't rip my head off. I am forever having feedbacks them from clients (who seem happy), but I'd love to hear some more qualified ones! ;)

Sometimes I think I've seen the photos too much and I'm not quite sure how to feel about them objectively.

I like my photographs to really reflect what the person looks like, and only retouch little spots. Anything that will be gone in a few weeks, aside from that, natural.

11765499286_300b52c4b2_z.jpg
11765193984_51e4f7f53b_z.jpg

11765337944_d78987610e_z.jpg
11765074003_4a2ba18f50_z.jpg

Be kind! Hah!

Top 2 looks like natural light, which is nice - but if you're going to chop into the tops of their heads its usual to do a bigger crop so it doesn't look like you did it by mistake

Bottom 2 may be natural with a reflector, or strobes, either way the Key light is too low as the nose shadows are going upwards, which just looks a bit odd as we all know the 'Sun' is above us. Try keeping the Key light between 10-2 on a clockface and you'll have more natural lighting :)

Always watch out for distracting backgrounds too, bottom left is a bit untidy

Don't generally shoot anyone square on to camera as it fattens them. Where the Key is off to one side turn blokes' bodies to face it then head back to you, turn women's bodies away from it and head back to you

Shooting down on people opens up their eyes but can belittle them - so try both if you have time; shoot one set slightly from above another straight on at eye level

If they have a fringe, and especially a big one, light from the opposite side otherwise it causes its own shadow

And lastly, 'Chin forward and down', gets rid of double chins and thins necks

I won't bore you with lighting patterns too, but if you shoot as you are doing but bear the above in mind I'm sure people will be even happier - even if they don't know why :D

You do appear to have a good connection with your subjects, and that can be half the battle at least - so well done :)

Dave

Thanks
Top 2 looks like natural light, which is nice - but if you're going to chop into the tops of their heads its usual to do a bigger crop so it doesn't look like you did it by mistake

Bottom 2 may be natural with a reflector, or strobes, either way the Key light is too low as the nose shadows are going upwards, which just looks a bit odd as we all know the 'Sun' is above us. Try keeping the Key light between 10-2 on a clockface and you'll have more natural lighting :)

Always watch out for distracting backgrounds too, bottom left is a bit untidy

Don't generally shoot anyone square on to camera as it fattens them. Where the Key is off to one side turn blokes' bodies to face it then head back to you, turn women's bodies away from it and head back to you

Shooting down on people opens up their eyes but can belittle them - so try both if you have time; shoot one set slightly from above another straight on at eye level

If they have a fringe, and especially a big one, light from the opposite side otherwise it causes its own shadow

And lastly, 'Chin forward and down', gets rid of double chins and thins necks

I won't bore you with lighting patterns too, but if you shoot as you are doing but bear the above in mind I'm sure people will be even happier - even if they don't know why :D

You do appear to have a good connection with your subjects, and that can be half the battle at least - so well done :)

Dave

Thanks Dave :) I try to find the balance between flattering the client, and being truthful about what they look like, which is complicated (normally you can make someone look as slim as possible!)

Top two were natural, and I did shoot a tad more so I have the option of including that slither of hair (although I feel the tight crop makes it more intimate?)

The bottom were inside, and actually I would love to hear about lighting patterns! I shall message you! I have not had my lighting kit long!

I am aware of the shooting 'above or below the eyeline thing' and usually pick either one to help either strengthen a casting, or weaken it.

What chin can you see? I shall try to lighten it a bit in Lightroom!

Apart from the head crops I think they are pretty good. advice from Dave is not too harsh, just small things which is good too.
Dof is a tad shallow blurring the hair
H

Last edited:
I didn't mean it to be harsh at all - these are good images, just a tweak my help :)

And no I can't see chins here, it was just a casual common recommendation, especially for older and larger people

I actually missed the comment about them being for performers as Headshots, obviously for casting etc. they do indeed need to be as 'honest' as possible. Most of my portraits are of people wanting to look better than they normally do :D

Just use YouTube to look for these lighting patterns and you'll soon get the idea:

1 - Butterfly (mostly used for children & females)
2 - Rembrandt (a stronger look for males or women wanting a more powerful look)
3 - Broad & Short lighting (use to thin fatter faces or bulk up skinny ones)

There are others of course but for what you're doing you'll find 95% or more of your shots will be in the above

Dave

Apart from the head crops I think they are pretty good. advice from Dave is not too harsh, just small things which is good too.
Dof is a tad shallow blurring the hair
H

Yeah, I tend to get a bit too intimate with the F's, and shoot at 1.8!
So is the head-crops a major bug bare then, I do have the option at least! :)

Yeah, I tend to get a bit too intimate with the F's, and shoot at 1.8!
So is the head-crops a major bug bare then, I do have the option at least! :)
Well I agree with Dave, you need to crop more or none, 1.8 is to shallow for the Ladies anyway imho

H
Edit, on the guys. the Dof on the guys had distorted the heads which look to be to forward of the neck, the first one more so

Last edited:
I didn't mean it to be harsh at all - these are good images, just a tweak my help :)

And no I can't see chins here, it was just a casual common recommendation, especially for older and larger people

I actually missed the comment about them being for performers as Headshots, obviously for casting etc. they do indeed need to be as 'honest' as possible. Most of my portraits are of people wanting to look better than they normally do :D

Just use YouTube to look for these lighting patterns and you'll soon get the idea:

1 - Butterfly (mostly used for children & females)
2 - Rembrandt (a stronger look for males or women wanting a more powerful look)
3 - Broad & Short lighting (use to thin fatter faces or bulk up skinny ones)

There are others of course but for what you're doing you'll find 95% or more of your shots will be in the above

Dave

Thanks I shall have a youtube of them! I am a big fan of natural light though! (I used a reflector to bounce some light in the ones above)

I love your wedding stuff by the way, I'm hopefully looking to begin looking at that this year, I'm doing my research at the moment!

Those lighting patterns are just as much a part of using natural light as they are strobes/studio Jamie - if the subject is backlit and you use a reflector it becomes the Key light, just as much as windows do or the subtraction of light re doorways/trees etc. makes (y)

And yes Helen, I was only confirming I had no intention of being harsh :) :kiss::kiss::kiss:

Oh, and at the risk of stating the obvious, I'd just ask a few Agencies what exactly they are expecting as Headshots for their clients and shoot it in that way. They should tell you if they like f1.8 or not, strong lighting, what PP is acceptable etc. :)

EDIT - just had a peek here... http://london-headshots.net/

A totally different look to yours (not that that's necessarily better, just different) but nothing you can't do even with natural lighting, but simpler still with a portable strobe set-up

Dave

Last edited:
Cool photos most people would be chuffed to have taken any of them (me included). Must say though I am loving Daves advice here. I have watched my share of youtube vid's (to many) but something in the way Dave puts his advice across makes sense, clear direct and not to much waffle.

Gaz

Oh, and at the risk of stating the obvious, I'd just ask a few Agencies what exactly they are expecting as Headshots for their clients and shoot it in that way. They should tell you if they like f1.8 or not, strong lighting, what PP is acceptable etc. :)

EDIT - just had a peek here... http://london-headshots.net/

A totally different look to yours (not that that's necessarily better, just different) but nothing you can't do even with natural lighting, but simpler still with a portable strobe set-up

Dave

It's quite a strange genre of photography to work with, it's so restrictive and rigid in some ways and yet there are so many ways within the restriction. I quite like trying to find my own style, which I hope is coming across as 'real' people (as stupid as this sounds!)

I have been doing it a while - Just to clarify, but I do still want great feedback like that!

Cool photos most people would be chuffed to have taken any of them (me included). Must say though I am loving Daves advice here. I have watched my share of youtube vid's (to many) but something in the way Dave puts his advice across makes sense, clear direct and not to much waffle.

Gaz

Yes, it's great advice! With really no flim-flam! Thanks for the compliment :)

Dave's advice sounds very good to me. But perhaps a little more contrast would be good.
I lOVE THAT YOU SAID THAT! I love contrast and often overkill it. I think I need to calibrate my monitor properly though... Do you guys calibrate using one of them gadgets?

A cracking set.

Great shallow depth of field, detail, composition / crops and processing. The contrast i like on all of them but maybe an ounce more contrast on the top right image is needed. It suits your processing of a bleached B&W final image and works. There is nothing distracting in the background for me as the dof makes everything fall away and the clients eyes keep my focus.

The only thing i would do a little different is add a hint of a darkened vignette to the image which would suit your conversions very well imo.

All atheistically very pleasing images, really nice work :)

A cracking set.

Great shallow depth of field, detail, composition / crops and processing. The contrast i like on all of them but maybe an ounce more contrast on the top right image is needed. It suits your processing of a bleached B&W final image and works. There is nothing distracting in the background for me as the dof makes everything fall away and the clients eyes keep my focus.

The only thing i would do a little different is add a hint of a darkened vignette to the image which would suit your conversions very well imo.

All atheistically very pleasing images, really nice work :)

Thanks buddy, I'll have a look at vignettes in Lightroom :)
I'll try more contrast in the top right too!

Back