Some help for a complete video novice much appreciated please!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I’m after some advice please. I’d like to be able to create relatively simple videos kind of similar to this but with a different subject:

Static shots in usually relatively well lit spaces
Interviews in the space with audio mostly overlayed with the above footage
The endgoal is simply to upload the videos to YouTube.

But I know nothing about video! None of the shots are complicated and my main criteria is to have a simple and small setup because I’m going to be travelling around the world with just a backpack. For the time being I’d be happy with static shots, so unless anyone suggests otherwise would plan to just have a small tripod with me rather slides, gimbals etc.

My main questions relate to:
Camera
Microphone
Software

Camera – I’m looking for a small and portable setup. Currently I own and would ideally take something small like a Sony RX100 Mk2, I’d be happy to upgrade to any of the newer generations no problem: would it be silly to try and attempt filming something like this on such a camera? I'm not attempting focus pulls or anything cinematic.I’m not massively opposed to buying something slightly bigger if it would make a big difference, like one of the A7 series but only if using something smaller would be difficult.

Microphones - I know nothing about them! Any microphone suggestions please for shooting this type of thing? Only one person as a time needs to be recorded, would a clip-on type be best? Am I best having one connected to the camera? Or do people often record audio entirely separately?

Finally, computing and software:
Most of these cameras can record in 4k, which would seem prudent to use if possible. But I have a 2012 MBP with 16GB RAM and SSD (and secondary HDD), I can’t even view 4k on it: would the idea of rendering roughly 5 minute long 4k videos actually be possible?

Most of what I want to be able do is very simple cuts, not making a featurelength film. The only thing at all complicated that ideally I’d like to do is add text and some arrows: for the time being only to static shots rather than tracking features during motion. In terms of software what would this be a good starting point? I have iMovie already but from what I’ve seen you can’t easily add overlayed objects like arrows. I’ve heard of Davinci too if that’s any good?

So many questions! I don’t wish to overcomplicate things to the point that I never start but a push in the right direction to get it going would be great. Thank you for any help

It’s a lot more difficult than you are making it out to be, you need to do a lot more homework and research, just because you have Davinci for example means nothing unless you can use it, and it’s a complicated bit of software.

To start, shoot on a tripod with a mic connected to the camera, then edit it together by simply cutting and joining the video together, in the simplest editor you can find, Adobe rush for example, and go from there, it’s not rocket science, but you at least have to have a basic understanding.

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I certainly don't expect it to be simple with no experience, yet I'm trying to not put myself off from ever starting the project!

I've recorded some test footage this afternoon with a very simple setup as a mock-up just to at least get my head around all the elements. I'm thinking perhaps that forgetting about 4k is a good idea for the time being, not least because I'm looking to do this on the side as a hobby, no reason I can't expand to it in the future.

I appreciate your suggestions, time to go off and do some more research. Thanks again!

learn on what you have, the equitment doesn`t make the video . even though the results may not be as good as you want. its more about how to achieve your goals. shoot your video in a lower resolution to start. and dont give up.

good luck

You could do most of that video on a good modern smartphone, including the separate audio tracks., I expect they used a DSLR or Mirrorless though.
The RX100 series are quite good at video, [for compactness] you could also consider the latest action cameras like Hero 8 and Osmo Action
On youtube most video is still viewed at 1080p, there's no particular need to record 4K but it gives options to do fake slider moves and very controlled digital zooms when editing,
It's all about almost daily practice and trial and error, you can't expect to buy some kit and get that degree of professional looking result.

learn on what you have, the equitment doesn`t make the video . even though the results may not be as good as you want. its more about how to achieve your goals. shoot your video in a lower resolution to start. and dont give up.

good luck

Cheers Steve, great advice and thanks for the motivation. I've had a go with what I've already got, the results aren't perfect but of course with no practice what can I expect!

You could do most of that video on a good modern smartphone, including the separate audio tracks., I expect they used a DSLR or Mirrorless though.
The RX100 series are quite good at video, [for compactness] you could also consider the latest action cameras like Hero 8 and Osmo Action
On youtube most video is still viewed at 1080p, there's no particular need to record 4K but it gives options to do fake slider moves and very controlled digital zooms when editing,
It's all about almost daily practice and trial and error, you can't expect to buy some kit and get that degree of professional looking result.

Thank you Colin! Great insight, I didn't realise must stuff on youtube was still viewed at 1080p, less reason to get concerned with 4K for the time being. If the videos take off I can always upgrade. I've considered something like the Hero 8 and may well have one with me anyway for diving etc. Your last line is certainly true.

Thanks again gents, really appreciate your help. I'm having fun and learning whilst working towards my goals so thank you.

Clip on mics have problems with rustling clothes etc as you move around.
Openshot is a free program for video editing which is quite simple to use - I made this video for YouTube using Openshot:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuJ_2IC6LHo

It was very easy to join various bits of the fractals together and then drop in the audio.
It was transcoded to 780p to keep the filesize fairly small.
The fractals were created with Electric Sheep:
https://electricsheep.org

Last edited:
my video setup for walkabouts
camcorder Panasonic HC- X 900m (32gb internal storage + SD card slot)
mike Sennheiser MKE400
deadcat (muffler) by Guttmann
extenders to clear deadcat hair from lens
moman table top tripod all will fit into pockets
About the best small rig setup that takes stills and videos I have found ( left off tripod head for this shot)
a8kn6vW.jpg

Remember with a camcorder there is no video time limit a with a DSLR

no problem about adjusting focus for video its automatic
c

and great sound

i would highly recommend it for easy of carrying -quality video-great sound- good wind deadcat- -very good Jpeg photos.

This has been with me to Japan-Egypt- Baltic states- Norway-Caribbean etc etc and never let me down .Only went back once to replace the single-video-view switch in 8/9 years.

tricky light conditions to video in

Editing use Adobe premier elements which you can add text ( even scrolling text )to

Last edited:
Back