Some Help Required Please.

Name
lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All, After a trip to London I took this picture, I am not good with Photoshop and this is pretty much all I can come up with, is there any suggestions you may have to help me get this photo to look better, I cant help feeling that I could make this a keeper! Maybe more detail to stand out in the buildings ? Or just start again altogether ? I have included the original image too, Thank you for your comments.

IMG_2654 by bobleeuk, on Flickr

london bus_NEW2 by bobleeuk, on Flickr

There are a few things that come to mind straight away.

It doesn't look like the conditions at twelve o'clock have done you any favours with the light and the sky is very bland.

The mono conversion is lacking in any contrast. It's all a bit grey but that goes back to the conditions you were working in.

I like the inclusion of the people but those nearest to us have their feet chopped out of the frame.

Looks like you straightened the clock tower itself but the verticals get distracting as you move towards the right hand side.

Selective colour of the bus - this is purely down to personal preference.

It may be possible to get a bit more out of the original shot but if it was local to me - my honest opinion would be to try and get back when conditions are more in your favour.

Last edited:
There are a few things that come to mind straight away.

It doesn't look like the conditions at twelve o'clock have done you any favours with the light and the sky is very bland.

The mono conversion is lacking in any contrast. It's all a bit grey but that goes back to the conditions you were working in.

I like the inclusion of the people but those nearest to us have their feet chopped out of the frame.

Looks like you straightened the clock tower itself but the verticals get distracting as you move towards the right hand side.

Selective colour of the bus - this is purely down to personal preference.

It may be possible to get a bit more out of the original shot but if it was local to me - my honest opinion would be to try and get back when conditions are more in your favour.

Cheers Phil, thank you for the input, yes I noticed the feet cropped out, maybe it will just be one of those images that sits on the hard drive wasting space! Lol, London is too far to go for another attempt.

Theres a good contrast here between old and new, the colour popped B&W shows it.

New bus in colour, old building in B&W. I get it Technically the distorted verticals and dull light do no favours, but it's the first thing I thought when I saw was you were trying to highlight old and new with this image

Theres a good contrast here between old and new, the colour popped B&W shows it.

New bus in colour, old building in B&W. I get it Technically the distorted verticals and dull light do no favours, but it's the first thing I thought when I saw was you were trying to highlight old and new with this image

thank you for the feedback steve

Sorry, but no amount of selective colour is changing anything.

If an image is weak, then processing is NOT the answer.

Someone suggested the 12 o'clock light has not helped, but in reality, it's an overcast day so the time of day is irrelevant - it would have looked the same at 2pm, or 4pm (assuming it was still overcast). It's just dull. The bus dominates the frame, and making it back and white while leaving the rest colour doesn't help at all... then it's just as noticeable because it;'s black and white.

You can get it perfectly straight in Photoshop if you want, but then you'll lose a great deal from the edges of the frame, and as it was a tight composition to begin with, you've not a great deal of room to play with.

You'll struggle to get an original shot of the subject, simply because it's perhaps one of the most photographed things in the world.. no matter where you stand you'll find an almost identical image on Flickr I reckon, so let's leave originality out of this to make it simpler.

The bus is a distraction. I know it's an icon of London... a red bus... but it's one of those ugly new ones.. not a routemaster, so I would suggest it's just making things look messy, and not really helping. Unless you thought "old and new" was a concept you were going for here... but if so... it's weak, as the bus seems like an intrusion into the frame, not a considered inclusion.

The dull overcast day is making it look dull, and it's not a subject that suits such light. There's nothing you can do about that unless you go back and reshoot. You certainly can't do anything in processing to change the light.

Think about what makes the building interesting. Look at that detail in the architecture... you're losing it with the ultra low contrast lighting, but that white, flat sky makes it even worse because it makes the building even duller and drab by contrast..

I found this on Flickr... not a great photo, but look at the light and how it reveals the detail in the structure.

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6121/5976396558_dc9fb4ac9a_o.jpg

Great images need great light, and your just doesn't have it. Simple as that.

I think there are better locations to shoot from too. It can be seen for quite a distance.... so you have South bank, the bridge itself, the water gardens.. loads of places.

I just think it's a snap shot, and as such, will never be much more, no matter what you do with it.

Think about angle... position.... Did you spend time walking around, looking at it through the viewfinder from different locations?

Processing is not the way to improve photography.

I like the bus being in the picture and I like the b&w shot with only the bus in colour. It's down to preference I guess.

I like the bus being in the picture and I like the b&w shot with only the bus in colour. It's down to preference I guess.

cheers jon

Back