Some ir (56k)

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
All taken a couple of weeks ago, which was the last time I was out with the camera.....When I shot the Adder.

Road%20ir.jpg

Reservoir%20ir.jpg

In%20the%20distance%20ir.jpg

Beyond%20the%20fence.jpg

Bandstand%20ir.jpg

C&C welcome.
TFL.
Ken.

#2 and #3 are the ones for me Ken. Perfectly composed too.

While #1 is nice, I feel it has a bit too much road.

I love the sky in #5, looks almost night like.

4th one for me Ken, absolutely love it, 2nd image too - really atmospheric
(looks like you've really nailed the IR thing - I just cannot get mine to work for some reason - everything just turns out purple & red & incredibly dark :thinking: :shrug: )
Really great set of images - Agree with Marcel about the 1st, think the road could have been a little narrower but that minor fussing aside, I can't fault them at all.
Awesome images :clap:

I like them all the colours are great, presonally I arent sure about the last one, but the detail in all is so sharp

Good to see some of your work again Ken, it's been a while? I think their all very good. #2 and #3 really stand out to me as well. I love the processing you do with your work, definitely your own style. Superb stuff! (y)

jewel

Great shots Ken, #1 and #3 are belters, great work. Do you have to adjust the focus for the IR filter at all?

Thanks for the comments guys.....
Jewel, I tend to just sit on my pictures now as I never know if they are any good or not, apart from that I haven't had much time to be posting anything.
Gary, I've read that and also that there should be a dot on the lens to turn back to for IR......Being honest, I didn't. I use a cokin filter and just focused as normal then slid the filter down......I can't find a dot on my lens?????:D :D
Thanks again for the comments.
Ken.

Very nice shots sir!
KenCo1964 said:
Gary, I've read that and also that there should be a dot on the lens to turn back to for IR......Being honest, I didn't. I use a cokin filter and just focused as normal then slid the filter down......I can't find a dot on my lens?????:D :D

More lenses than not don't have IR markings these days - it tends to just be older lenses that have them.
It's not always needed because how much correction is required varies from lens to lens - on many the correction needed is small enough that any decent amount of DoF easily accounts for your images being slightly out of focus.
The low density IR filters that most people use also lessen this effect even more - as most lenses with IR markings are measured to the more dense #87 or #87C filters.

Cheers Hoodi....so I can stop looking for that dot now, the lens is 50mm 1.8 and the filter cokin oo7 (89b).
Thanks Mini.
I took a couple of the first shot and got my very first light trail.......wuhooo!!! a scooter doing about 12 mph on a 25 second exposure, in daytime too! Of course after getting up from taking the shots I was covered in TAR, being such a hot day......
I took a couple of others too which I'll submit once I can get round to it.

KenCo1964 said:
Cheers Hoodi....so I can stop looking for that dot now, the lens is 50mm 1.8 and the filter cokin oo7 (89b).

Even very old 50mm primes don't have IR markings - they usually require such a teeny tiny adjustment that it's just not worth it. Throw in the fact you're using a low density filter, and visible light AF will be almost spot on!
So yes, you can stop hunting for the spot now :LOL:

jewel said:
or is my mind in the gutter once again? :LOL:

Jewel

It's right next to mine hun....right next to mine :D

Interesting! All the lenses in my sig with the exception of the 180L Macro have IR focusing marks. The 100-400L has IR marks for 100, 135, 150 and 200mm focal lengths.

CT said:
The 100-400L has IR marks for 100, 135, 150 and 200mm focal lengths.

Most zoom lenses that cover a large range [and] have IR markings will have several - because the adjustment required varies :D
A lot of older Nikkors have the markings, I don't think any new ones do. Some Sigma's have markings...
I knew the 17-40L had markings, but not the 50mm F/1.4 - how far away from normal focus is the marking? :thinking:

My 50mm 1.4 autofocuses fine through a Hoya R72 filter - makes life alot easier.

RobertP said:
My 50mm 1.4 autofocuses fine through a Hoya R72 filter - makes life alot easier.
The 1.8 does too but I prefer to see what I'm focusing on!

Yes, some camera // lens combos will work with AF, provided ample light. Edit : And an 89B filter - I've not come across any that will AF with anything denser.
Most "P&S" digicams will AF fine with a filter on, too.

As KenCo says though, I prefer to MF so's I know what I'm focusing on.

Hoodi said:
I knew the 17-40L had markings, but not the 50mm F/1.4 - how far away from normal focus is the marking? :thinking:

About the thickness of a gnat's foreskin as you might imagine. :D

IR_dot.jpg

I used to go up Long Mynd, Shropshire, years ago and take IR shots with mono IR film and a red filter. On good days it produced stunning shots where you could see right to the curve of the earth, with black skies and stark white clouds.

Crikey, that is close :D

I'm in two minds about IR film. On one hand I far prefer the digital results by far - but on the other I do think IR film has a certain charm to it...

It's a moot point until I get a different 35mm film camera anyway - mine wrecks IR film :\

Back