Some Lakes reflections

Name
Stuart McGlennon
Edit My Images
No
Last few days have been really calm up here on my days off which have made for some decent reflection stuff - I don't ever go out with the intention to shoot reflections although it's nice when conditions allow.

All cliche's I know here, was out with a friend who's not long started with a DSLR and wanted to take in some of the classic spots, in fairness he couldn't have picked better conditions so I wasn't complaining! The panoramic one at Buttermere I have my eye on for an autumn winter/shot when there's some snow on it, I know @alfbranch has a cracker of this one.

Buttermere in Panoramic by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Alone by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Derwentwater Reflections by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

The Pines in Reflection by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

These are all lovely compositions and have great tones and colours Stuart. The only crit I'd give, if I may, is that the horizons dip slightly to the right in 2 and 3, and I'd wind the vibrance back a touch in 4, but they're great takes of classic scenes.

Thanks for that, yeah I found the horizons a real pain to be honest, possibly due to the shape of the lakes, I'm always levelling them with the spirit level and the in-camera tool so I'm not sure really to be honest, especially in 3 where immediately above the stones on the horizon appears to be level.

Maybe it's just the lake edge, in which case thanks for being gracious. :)
Haha no worries I know what you mean though, if you stand any sort of height above the lake the horizon can be tricky, I try and focus on the furthest point in the distance after levelling and go from there as the bits of the shoreline closest to you don't always match up

Last one for me Stuart.
Nice light and reflections. Yes its been done to death, but I think its a lovely scene when all the elements come together. I've been lucky with he light but now just need the snow on the tops then I'm happy.

Number 4 for me as well Stuart. The light and reflection are lovely. We can't take stop pictures because they've been done before otherwise we'd all end up with very few to look at.

Lovely set. Very vibrant. It's a difficult choice but I think 4 for me.(y)

Last one for me Stuart.
Nice light and reflections. Yes its been done to death, but I think its a lovely scene when all the elements come together. I've been lucky with he light but now just need the snow on the tops then I'm happy.

Number 4 for me as well Stuart. The light and reflection are lovely. We can't take stop pictures because they've been done before otherwise we'd all end up with very few to look at.

These are all very nice Stuart, no4 edges it for me tho!

Lovely set. Very vibrant. It's a difficult choice but I think 4 for me.(y)

Thanks all for the kind responses, seems those pines at Buttermere never fail eh :LOL:

Butter mere ones for me excellent stuff. The second image I can't handle (OCD?) the planks being on the wonk!

Butter mere ones for me excellent stuff. The second image I can't handle (OCD?) the planks being on the wonk!
Thanks Craig, I've yet to stand on one of these that isn't like this round here, it makes the horizon a real pain, just have to trust what the spirit level and camera is telling you. I think there's one at Coniston which is quite well shot that is 50 times worse than this one!

Love them, hope I can get anywhere near that quality in a couple weeks when I'm in the lakes for 3 days. Derwentwater is top of my list.

Thanks alot, If you can get up catbells for sunrise it's an awesome viewpoint and not too much of a stretch walk wise at Derwentwater
Awesome tip Stuart. Catbells looks an easy hike. The Sun will come up right over the A66 on the days I'm there. Not far from where I'm staying next to Thirlmere.

Lovely set of images Stuart.

Great work. You posted them in the reverse order in which I like them, so it got better and better as I scrolled down.

I really like the way that the light has made the green trees in the last one stand out so much, and after looking at it for a few seconds, the little white building pops out at you

Each time I look at them my favourite changes but I think they are all of a quality I wish to aspire to. As a beginner taking 2 weeks off around west Scotland in September, anything close to the quality of these will make me happy. I love reflected landscapes :)

Great work. You posted them in the reverse order in which I like them, so it got better and better as I scrolled down.

I really like the way that the light has made the green trees in the last one stand out so much, and after looking at it for a few seconds, the little white building pops out at you
Thanks Carl, the light in the last one was really quite intense which meant the saturation in those greens really hasn't been touched, maybe only a touch of contrast.

Each time I look at them my favourite changes but I think they are all of a quality I wish to aspire to. As a beginner taking 2 weeks off around west Scotland in September, anything close to the quality of these will make me happy. I love reflected landscapes :)
Thanks I'll take that as big compliment, I've only been doing this since January so still consider myself something of a beginner, it's good to know I'm progressing with this stuff (y)

Superb Stuart. I particularly like the last two. So far, I've never yet managed to catch the millennium stones part submerged. I'm over in the Lakes next week, and I'm hoping that I might finally manage it at some point!

Cheers,

Simon.

A classic set Stuart! Lovely I cant say that No4 exactly eclipsed the rest but its certainly pipped the others to the post. That glade that is bathed in light behind the trees on the far bank is beautiful, and the dappled light falling on the mountains behind is really lovely.
Enjoyed viewing all of these Stuart Nice Work(y)

Back