Some more candids - does the composition work?

CJR

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
From the Calder Vale 10 Mile race on Good Friday.

First shot - I liked the guy using his modern phone against the window with the old advert and phone number. I would prefer the whole window frame to be included, but there was a pram underneath the window, which obscured much of the bottom of the frame. I composed to leave as little of the pram as possible (as I am not good at cloning and couldn't reconstruct the corner of the frame) but as a result, I think the man is too low in the image. :shrug:

CVale_005.jpg

Second shot - inside the village hall, where tired cold runners and spectators were having tea and cake. I was squashed against the wall opposite these three, with people seated at tables in between us, so no chance of a different pov. Nevertheless, I like these three, and the cupboards, the wonky knots board, and the flag. It's a bit oof because of the low shutter speed with a non IS lens, but again, does the composition work? I like it, but others feel it doesn't quite work - too much space at the top, the guy looking out of the picture on the left spoils it, .... :thinking:

CVale_019.jpg

Many thanks - and please be honest!!

Cathy

the first one i like, i don't think the missing bottom of the window frame matters i like the contrast of old and new. The second one looks more snap shot than candid to me.

i think the first may have looked better at a different angle and the 2nd i think the same as the last post. liooks like a normal shot

Thanks very much for the comments, image29 and Toothie.

Just out of interest, what difference do you see between a snapshot of people, and a candid shot of people? I'm just curious to know ... :thinking: Is it because the guys in 2 know I'm taking their picture?

Cathy

To me the first looks like a shot taken because it has some interest ie the old advert. the second shot looks like a pic of 3 people not doing much in a fairly unintresting back ground. It the sort of shot that if you know the people, you migth take so in time you come you can show then and say look at you there! That's not mean to sound harsh. the picture just doesn't tell you anything, possibly because there is too much back ground and not enough of the people, the flag is also distracting.

I think both of them suffer from too much empty space, the first shot definately has potential would be interesting to see a tighter crop on the man and advert which I think would improve it no end. Second shot I think lacks expression or meaning, for me a candid is always better when the people don't know they are having there picture taken as it's inevitably more natural.

Thanks very much, toothie and Alex for taking the time to explain. I do indeed see what you mean. :)

I think this shows the benefits of having impartial opinions your photos - so often the enjoyment of the situation / event, and the memories associated with taking the pic, can prevent a more clearheaded view of its merits or otherwise.

Cathy

Back