Some more MotoGP - from Silverstone Six

Edit My Images
No
Excellent little grandstand with a superb view of the middle sections of the track at Becketts and the Arena. Mostly empty as well so had plenty of space to move around.

Why do people flock out so much at the end of the main race, so much quality in the supports and no massive queues of traffic either.

Cal Crutchlow heading to the grid on the installation lap by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

Dani Pedrosa on the way to the grid by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

Marc Márquez briefly takes the lead from Lorenzo by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

Luis Salom leads the way in Moto3 by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

Romano Fenati persues Efrén Vázquez into Becketts by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

James Ellison leads the pack in the Silverstone 200 by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

For anyone interested, my comprehensive shots from the 2012 event: http://www.flickr.com/photos/r-t-c/sets/72157633106319942/with/8596097946/

maybe all a bit too central but can't fault the sharpness and shutter speeds.

#1 I like being a bit wider and #2 is a belter.

If they are crops, try a bit of "rule of thirds" compositions with the crop tool.

Pedro shot for me, very nice.

Pedro shot for me, very nice.

And here too,it's a cracker(y)

Agree about peeps leaving all at once,you could even tell watching on the tv how many had left before the moto3 race:wacky:.Only time we've ever left early is if it's been chucking it down all day,although I remember at one WSB at Donny we waited until the end huddled under brollys cheering Jenny Tinmouth on in a Thundersport race(she binned it at Coppice on the last lap while in the lead).

maybe all a bit too central but can't fault the sharpness and shutter speeds.

#1 I like being a bit wider and #2 is a belter.

If they are crops, try a bit of "rule of thirds" compositions with the crop tool.

:agree:

Yes they are all crops, quite heavy too. I am using a 300mm FX lens so not much optical reach at a track like Silverstone. Still getting used to the artistic side of this, could you maybe post an example shot. Not at home at the moment, or I would post the original photo.

Agree about peeps leaving all at once,you could even tell watching on the tv how many had left before the moto3 race:wacky:.

Think I have only left three events before the bitter end, two of those were because they were running late and had a very long drive home at the other was last year's MotoGP where we had landed at Heathrow at 1am from mountaineering in Morocco where my wife had broken bones in both feet. We had about 4 hours sleep, raced to the circuit, enjoyed the main races before she was on the verge of passing out so we had to call it quits.

Yes they are all crops, quite heavy too. I am using a 300mm FX lens so not much optical reach at a track like Silverstone. Still getting used to the artistic side of this, could you maybe post an example shot. Not at home at the moment, or I would post the original photo.

Ok, the "rule of thirds" sounds a bit tyrannical, but it can make so much difference to an image.

I've not go much to play with here, but using your Cal shot for example.

So, in PS, use the crop tool, keeping the 3:2 aspect ratio of a photograph and toggle on the thirds guideline:

crop5.jpg

You'll see how I've placed the subject leaving one third roughly in the horizontal and vertical dimensions. I've also placed the crop so the curb line comes from the bottom left corner - this is another compositional technique called leading lines.

The image now looks like this:

crop22.jpg

Now, you can argue that you don't think its improved, but rule of thirds and
leading lines with subliminally enhance your image to your viewers, more will be drawn to it like this that a central placement.

You can do this in camera or in photoshop or like me, usually get close in camera and tweak in photoshop (y) or you can take the shotgun approach and shoot wide and totally compose in post lol

Thanks for the help, really useful.

How does this come out?

Its a load better than the bike plonked in the middle (y)

Back