Some new rail shots

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
In no particular order of chronology, just picking through as I go.
12seao.jpg

12sear.jpg

12sea6.jpg

1279qr.jpg

1279qt.jpg

1279qv.jpg

All comments and ideas/criticisms welcomed. Anyone need more info, just ask, I hope there's something most find to like.

Don't be sorry for your own opinion. Ironically #4 was the most grabbed shot of the bunch, the others had some forethought in heading out along way from home, #4 is a short bike ride from my house.

Yeah I like no 3 as well. It's ncely framed *** the crossing light take a bit too much prominence in the picture. I would have backed off slightly but kept the same position of the train.

Yeah I like no 3 as well. It's ncely framed *** the crossing light take a bit too much prominence in the picture. I would have backed off slightly but kept the same position of the train.

Cheers all for opinions, if I'd have backed off any further, I'd have fallen off the wall giving me a higher viewpoint.

Speaking as an armchair train spotter myself, I thought all of the photos are all very good - but I do have a favourite and that is No 3. And why? It has that 1960's look about it and it has me missing the Southern Region's "slam doors" CIG 4-coaches multiple units . . . a rolling stock that was the norm across the South coast (although they did have subtle variations in design from region to region) during the '60s, 70's, 80's and at the first half of the 90's before they got replaced by the charmless and much quieter "sprinter" units.

#5 was taken just outside Warrington Bank Quay station (just visible infront of the chimneys) and is a popular shot of freights heading to Latchford sidings.
#6 is taken from the north end of platform 6 at Crewe station with a telephoto to remove some station distractions.

An interesting set of rolling stock there, Matt - many of our early steam locomotives were made in Great Britain.

Is No1 Leicester? For me colours just a bit too 'bright'. Although some of the latest schemes are garish, I loath EWS colours

Number 3 really works. Have to slightly disagree with chameleon as I think the crossing light leads the eye into the front of the train. Positioning of biker provides perfect balance.

I like number 1, 4 and 5. The colours in one are great, the HST is fabulous as well as it nearly fills the picture, and has that weird optical effect where the front of the train appears to be 'looking' at you. 5 I like because of the angle and the background. Is it a 59 or a 66? I can't see .

Number 3 really works. Have to slightly disagree with chameleon as I think the crossing light leads the eye into the front of the train. Positioning of biker provides perfect balance.

I wasn't overly keen on 3. I can't quite put my finger on why. BTW that's the back of the train, not front! I think they're British rail Mark 1 carriages.

Last edited:
I wasn't overly keen on 3. I can't quite put my finger on why. BTW that's the back of the train, not front! I think they're British rail Mark 1 carriages.

Probably I like it as it is closest to my style. Suspect too cluttered for some tastes.

Fairly certain it is the front. Former Southern Region Mark 1 derived EMU (one of the 'Lymington Flyer' CIG's?) with roller blind showing route, so must be the front as the roller blind is wound to red if at the rear.

Back