Critique Some of my interior architecture photographs.

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
My main photographic preference is of internal architecture. Here are some of the photographs that I have taken so far. Quite a few of them are hdr photographs, but not all of them.

Natural History Museum
by michael_d_beckwith, on Flickr

Blackpool Tower Ballroom

York Minster

Wakefield Cathedral Nave

Selby Abbey

Manchester Cathedral

Lincoln Cathedral

Bury Parish Church

I have quite a lot more photographs on my flickr account.

I love a bit of interior architecture and the HDR on these is nice and subtle. How did you avoid people in the shots? I got told off for trying to use a tripod in the Natural History, did you use one or hand hold?

J

Very impressed, the clarity is awesome. Architecture is not too high on my preferences but these want me to move it further up the list..fantastic.

1st off, all look sharp, good detail, lighting shows everything that needs to be seen, all very symmetrical.

As I scanned down I had a feeling of 'sameness'. There is too much symmetry!
I had a look at your Flickr and thought the same, apart from the two pics of York Railway Station and Preston Railway Station- which stood out- for the interior shots.

It's hard to take a pic of an interior to show the grandeur and workmanship that has been put into the building. You've done a good job of that, but I still get the 'sameness'
with all the symmetrical pics.

First one for me is favourite - looks amazing and interesting use of handrail as tripod unless imam mistaken. beautiful building

I love a bit of interior architecture and the HDR on these is nice and subtle. How did you avoid people in the shots? I got told off for trying to use a tripod in the Natural History, did you use one or hand hold?

J

Photography is allowed in the NHM, but the use of tripod is forbidden. Knowing this in advance I brought a photographic bean bag with me and placed the camera attached to photographic bean bag on the railings and managed to get a few clean exoposures for an hdr image.

First one for me is favourite - looks amazing and interesting use of handrail as tripod unless imam mistaken. beautiful building

Yes it was placed on the railings.

1st off, all look sharp, good detail, lighting shows everything that needs to be seen, all very symmetrical.

As I scanned down I had a feeling of 'sameness'. There is too much symmetry!
I had a look at your Flickr and thought the same, apart from the two pics of York Railway Station and Preston Railway Station- which stood out- for the interior shots.

It's hard to take a pic of an interior to show the grandeur and workmanship that has been put into the building. You've done a good job of that, but I still get the 'sameness'
with all the symmetrical pics.

I have a strong preference for symmetry in geneal. As well as symmetrical photographs I really should try other different perspectives in future.

I have a strong preference for symmetry in general. As well as symmetrical photographs I really should try other different perspectives in future.
I think it may improve your Flickr, but that's just me!
If you're happy, keep doing it. We all do it for our own satisfaction primarily. :)
Like I said, the two station shots stood out.

Have you thought about repetition as a form of symmetry? The most obvious, off the top of my head, would probably be cloisters shot off-centre.

I think it may improve your Flickr, but that's just me!
If you're happy, keep doing it. We all do it for our own satisfaction primarily. :)
Like I said, the two station shots stood out.

Have you thought about repetition as a form of symmetry? The most obvious, off the top of my head, would probably be cloisters shot off-centre.

I have been slowly trying other types of composition as well as symmetry like using the rule of 3rds in his exterior shot of Whitby Abbey.

Whitby Abbey

When shooting places in future I'll get they symmetrical photographs done and out of the way, then if I have more time I'll experiment a bit more, which I really should be doing. Thanks for the input. :)

I noticed that one- cracking shot.

Hi, I think you've done a very good job with regards to exposure, sharpness, etc and your technique is also very good, but I have to agree with Ken they are all very similar shots. Thanks for showing them.

I think you need to work on perspective correction myself as thats one thing that they lack.

I have a strong preference for symmetry in geneal. As well as symmetrical photographs I really should try other different perspectives in future.
Nice shots individually, as a set the perspective is repeatitive and boring. But you know that already :)

Very good set (y)

Back