Some railway shots, steam and diesel.

Edit My Images
No
Been a while since I posted anything on this forum so here's a few recent shots.

A couple of weeks ago Class B1 No. 61264 carried out a loaded test run in preparation for hauling some main line excursions later in the year.

1. Running light engine in some pleasant light to Carnforth prior to the test run.
5027_zpsafa65154.jpg

2. Crossing the River Wenning.
50540a_zps8f264078.jpg

3. I don't really like shots off bridges but I'd managed to just get ahead of the train so I thought I'd get an extra shot while the sun was out.
50580_zps6f3bd19f.jpg

4. Last shot of the B1 and the light was fading and the wind was blowing.
50710_zps153f6c6e.jpg

5. The only diesel I'd get out of bed for.........the mighty English Electric Deltic.
This is D9009 "Alycidon" powering out of Blea Moor tunnel on the Settle to Carlisle line in some pretty drab weather.
50000_zps8a8d3201.jpg

Hope you like them!

Last edited:
The first and fourth are my favourites. The lighting makes them all look great - definitely a case of catching them at the right time :)

The first and fourth are my favourites. The lighting makes them all look great - definitely a case of catching them at the right time :)

:agree: just love steam :D

A terrific set with some stunning scenery. Hard to pick a favourite. Probably #5 though as I am a huge diesel fan! :whistle:

Number 4 is a cracker,number 3 is spoilt by the house on the right hand side. Number 5 takes me back to the early 80's when I was a very young train spotter just hoping to get a glimpse of one of these before they were scrapped. A lovely set Toni/Stuart.

An appealing set Stuart - including the diseasel. I'm with you on that front, can't stand the bloody things but 55's, well, that's another matter.
I stood on the overbridge at Bury Bolton Street station with Alycidon ticking over underneath, shook the place.

Number 4 is a cracker,number 3 is spoilt by the house on the right hand side. Number 5 takes me back to the early 80's when I was a very young train spotter just hoping to get a glimpse of one of these before they were scrapped. A lovely set Toni/Stuart.
Thanks for your comments Rob.
An appealing set Stuart - including the diseasel. I'm with you on that front, can't stand the bloody things but 55's, well, that's another matter.
I stood on the overbridge at Bury Bolton Street station with Alycidon ticking over underneath, shook the place.
Thanks Colin, Deltics are certainly a one off and we will never see anything like them again, as the Americans would say.......awesome!

Excellent set of images m8. As said Deltics are fantastic.

The Deltic class if fab. Years ago, in the days of CB radio, my pal's handle was 'Deltic Dreamer' :)

love the Deltics of all sizes. (ex railway me) No. 1 is very nice.

Some great shots there Stuart. Is it a sin to ask what you used to capture such epic shots? If the exif data is available, I cant see it.
For some reason this new forum strips out the exif detail so here you are, sinful or not!

Camera is a 5d MkIII and shots 1, 4 and 5 were with a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L and 2 and 3 were with a 17 year old Canon 28-70 f/2.8L. LINK
The Deltic class if fab. Years ago, in the days of CB radio, my pal's handle was 'Deltic Dreamer' :)
rofl.gif

love the Deltics of all sizes. (ex railway me) No. 1 is very nice.
Thanks Graham.

Very nice set,i love steam,last year we did the Jacobite steam train journey,will be going on it again this year.:):woot:

There are some shots of it from last year on my flickr.:)

Lovely set with near perfect framing.

Great set Stuart, haven't got a favourite, they all tick all the right boxes! Looks like a trip is on to the NYMR :)
Like others, I'm a steam man..... but those Deltics! Saw D9009 "Alycidon" at the SVR last autumn at the Diesel Gala, she's a full on piece of kit!

Like the first a lot, it's just lovely light. The next 3 I think are just too wide, I feel they'd have benefited from a lot more perspective compression. The Deltic is great, though the light on the train is nice and subtle - I think if you crop the sky out you'll get a lot more from this as the bright sky makes it obvious it's a dull day.

Some fantastic picturesque images here, nicely shot! Steam engines are by far my favourite type of rail engine!

Not so sure about number 2, but I really like the rest. 4 and 5 are just sublime.
I'm going to go against the grain too, and say that Deltics are the only EE diesel that I don't like. I have to admit that from an engineering point of view they are stunning, but they just leave me cold. Give me a Class 50 any day of the week :naughty:

Please send your hate mail to the following address... :bat:

Sorry, forgot to add, I really like the light on No 1 & 3. For me, No 2 seems a little cluttered and crowded - theres a lot competing for your eye in the scene. No 4 is a really nice shot considering the obvious poor light.

Back