Some recent candid portraits

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
As the title suggests, here are a few black and white portraits taken recently - Nikon FE, 50mm, Ilford XP2. Not post-processing, just as they came out of the development.

CNV00014.JPG

CNV00015.JPG

CNV00016_2.jpg

CNV00034.JPG

CNV00035.JPG

Last edited:
The first 3 look like they're out of some '50's movie.

I think the first one is the best, it's the only one I like. Not because the others are terrible but because this one genuinely feels like a candid shot. Also the way it's come out of development has worked a treat. For all we know this could have been take 20 / 30 years ago and that's the charm of it. And I'm glad you left the dust marks in, gives it a bit of character.

Super set and I agree with KayJay, the first is a belter

Andy

Liking the feel of the shots. I take it the first 3 were under exposed and rescued, giving the extra grain and the 'dingey' look. They benefit from it!

I've made no changes to them at all. They were just dev'd and printed with nothing extra done to them afaik by Jessops (1 hour film process).

I was shooting on a 1.8 wide open, 400 ISO and still had to resort to 1/15-1/30 shutter to get somewhere close to an acceptable exposure.

They were shot using only a little background street-lighting and a couple of wall mounted heaters adding a red glow for illumination. So I think the very low light with the slight camera shake due to being hand held at lower speeds and the relatively high ISO added to the graininess and fuzziness. A serendipitous sequence.

Back