Some recent wedding stuff

AliB

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
I don't tend to post a huge amount of wedding stuff but just been updating a few images on my website and it's funny but the style is still evolving! DiddyDave posted last week about evolving style and selling against that style and I can see a difference between what I shot last year and how I've kicked off this year. I was asking t'other half if it's down to the new Nikons or down to me evolving and to be honest we can't answer that one! There is definately a shift though and I think some of it is down to confidence in the new gear, I know I can push it if I need to and I'm concentrating more on what is in front of me. Anyway a few from the first few weddings of this year...

4821484837_ce28dd2e58.jpg

4821484983_d37576043d.jpg

4821484323_f1669fa46d.jpg

4821522223_396303af28.jpg

Fantastic shots as always Alison :)
Very creative aswell

I love the first 3 :) great composition in #1, lovely light on #2 and rich colours in #3. Not sure about #4 though, to me it doesn't flatter the bride.

Ali, some great shots there and I think what makes them so is the way the moment has been captured. to get a couple on their wedding day, with a rainbow in the background is pretty lucky but its something they will always remember and you've captured that moment for them.
Inspirational pics, thank you

Alison,

Love the first 3 - as mentioned above - no 4 isn't the most flattering but scores well on the creativity.

What settings did you use on no 2 to blacken the background (or is it PS)

I love the first 3 :) great composition in #1, lovely light on #2 and rich colours in #3. Not sure about #4 though, to me it doesn't flatter the bride.

Not a problem Paul, I have plenty from that wedding that do, but the bride did not want any publicity so I had to pick one that was fairly anonymous just to be on the safe side. :)

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Alison,

Love the first 3 - as mentioned above - no 4 isn't the most flattering but scores well on the creativity.

What settings did you use on no 2 to blacken the background (or is it PS)

A bit of both at play there Lynton. Shot on aperture priority at f2.8 and lit with a video light to highlight the couple and pick them out. The carpet was still a bit ugly so there is some PS stuff in the shape of a Nik filter called midnight which was applied to the whole image and erased from the couple.

Hope that helps.

Not a problem Paul, I have plenty from that wedding that do, but the bride did not want any publicity so I had to pick one that was fairly anonymous just to be on the safe side. :)

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Thats perfectly reasonable Alison and certainly from the differential focussing point of view I reckon the amount of blur is bang on. I tend to get carried away with too shallow a depth of field so no one knows if its the B&G behind the flowers or a pair of curtains :LOL:

lol I do have a cracking diff focus shot from that one where they are in focus and the bouquet, placed on the mirror is in focus but it's shot in the mirror and the reflection is OOF. Ohhhhh triple point diff focus with two points in focus and one out. Possibly the most difficult shot I've done to date! :)

Thanks Marcus, I only got it because my van broke down! While I was waiting for the RAC chap to sort it, this rainbow started to develop so I got the camera out again and managed to wangle them out of the bar, running the gauntlet of the groom's brother in the process!

Last edited:
Thanks Marcus, I only got it because my van broke down! While I was waiting for the RAC chap to sort it, this rainbow started to develop so I got the camera out again and managed to wangle them out of the bar, running the gauntlet of the groom's brother in the process!

Sounds like a story to be told there :naughty:

Love the overhead shot and the rainbow Ali

Love the way the lilys in the last one kinda hug the couple. :)

Glad you are liking them guys! :)

The over head one is not too difficult to do and is a great one to have in the bag for a wet wedding. If there is a staircase or balcony anywhere you can get above the couple then get up there. Light them from below either with off camera flash or like I did here with a video light.

I love having a video light in the bag. We had four minutes before we had to have the couple back with the wedding coordinator so it was a very quick shot we needed and it would take that long to set up an off camera flash and meter it properly. So out came the trusty video light and it creates the difference in the light on the couple vs the ambient just enough to pick them out with a bit of spot metering.

It's also a great angle to shoot from because you are so high, you are never going to get a double chin in that shot! :)

Back