Some smoke art.

Edit My Images
Yes
Got a little bored the other night and attempted to do some smoke art stuff. Had great fun and took about 150 ish shots with about 40-50 keepers.
Here's just a couple I have processed. Enjoy.:)

2436674953_e3b64ce11b_o.jpg

2437495012_73607ca3d4_o.jpg

2437494844_8c155acc86_o.jpg

2436674765_6885d70696_o.jpg

2438340466_f1fcf2df05_o.jpg

Going to work on a few triptychs and quadtychs with these some some other kind arty farty stuff too..

they're nice, really nice (y) Not helping me quit though ;)

I really like these shots - they work well together with all the different colours - great idea (y)

Good pics there - nice and sharp. I tried this a while back and had trouble getting the focus spot on at a sensible shutter speed

Ooh I do like these, I especially like the multi coloured one. Well done. How do you go about getting shots like these?

I'm pretty pleased with them considering it was my first attempt at it and everything was a bit hit and miss.
As for focusing I went full manual with and stood a pen in the rough area where the smoke rose to, I focused on that and used a f stop of f/11. Also i use the flash on full ttl mode, the camera in full manual mode with a shutter speed of 1/200.
The trick is to fire the flash through the smoke towards the camera slightly.
I have some pictures of the set up and the process in ps to turn a black image with grey smoke into these. if it would help anyone.

Glad you all liked them.

I have some pictures of the set up and the process in ps to turn a black image with grey smoke into these. if it would help anyone.

That would be great if you get the time :)

yes please. Thanks for the other settings info too

Absolutely incredible mate. How do you do those?

They're all lovely, but the multiple coloured one's are especially sweet. Would also love to know how you did this.

Thanks for sharing how you did it, would be great to see the set up thanks.

Cheers for the positive comments, I am currently sat in Cardiff away from home so on my return I will knock up my rough guide to creating the images I posted above.

Lovely pictures, especially the multi-colour ones. Looking forward to seeing the setup when u get time :clap: :clap:

These photographs are really inspirational. I love all the vibrant colours. they remind me somehow of seeing a ballet.

These photographs are really inspirational. I love all the vibrant colours. they remind me somehow of seeing a ballet.

Now funny you say that i have had that comment before about these images, i think it is the flowing movement, yet there's grace and tranquility in it to. If that makes sense. Great link though.

I had some time to play over the weekend and did a few more, here's one and the rest are on my flickr page.

2444725425_cd6d299607_o.jpg

Once the little one has gone to bed in a while I will be starting on the "how to".

Once again cheers everyone for the positive comments.

really love the multi-coloured ones! super!

Vi x

The last of your original post looks like a dancer, beautiful :)

2508011374_32bec90dca_o.jpg

Here's another of my more recent stuff. Got loads more if you wanna see them.

very nice photographs....i like the colours and the black and white one...can you do smoke rings with them as well?

I guess so yes, if I smoked i would have a go, but I reckon i could work out away to get a ring without the need to start smoking!!

i used your settings but it just came out black, i dont have a nifty fifty *** so perhaps thats how i failed, lol, i just used the kit lens, i think its just beyond my ability atm. tbh.

The lens won't matter, first time I used my 28-70mm sigma zoom, nothing special in a nifty fifty for this.
You are using an off camera flash unit?? And it is placed to the side of the burn incense stick, slightly behind it and slightly facing towards the camera??? The flash needs to illuminate the smoke so make sure it is firing at it, not into the ether.

ahh ok ill give it another try on my next day off lol not got time today

Those pictures deserves top mark for orginality and experimentation. That is the first type of pictures I've seen anywhere so well done for doing something like that. :clap:

see mine is really noisy, despite trying to rescue it in CS :confused: but i tried

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers Ian Dj, your comment is very much appreciated.

Ashers, the noise will be from the ISO, drop it too 100 and set the f stop at f/8 or f/11, I used both but it sometimes depends on the lens, my nifty fifty shoots better at f/8 where as the sigma shoots better shots at f/11. Do rely on the camera to meter it, just set the shutter to around 1/200 the f stop to either f/8 or 11 and the iso to 100 and see what happens, have faith. (tries to shoe horn a line from field of dreams in but failed)

cheers for teaching me though i love it! :p will be better when i can do it in our conservitory... when its been finally finished :p

Back