Some studio insect macros

Name
Rhod
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a day out doing some studio stuff at the Flash Centre in Birmingham. The workshop was run by Mark Sisson of Natures Images and comes recommended!

Congo Green Mantis Nymph
IMG_7165_psw.jpg

Common Frog
IMG_7298_psw.jpg

Desert Locust
IMG_7316_psw.jpg

Comments and critique appreciated(y)

The last one would look awesome with a bit more reflection.

Lovely work Rhod the Mantis and Locust really have big impact and the Frog is certainly a cracking image too.

Thanks for the comments Guys!
Nick - no stacking mate, just the 100mm @ f16 for the locust.

Here's another:

Dead Leaf Mantis Nymph at "Sunset"
IMG_7276_psw.jpg

Great set Rhod, first mantis looks like it is playing the flute :D

Love Macro shots. Yours are ace. Whats a good Macro lens to go for?

Cheers Alby(y)

Thanks Anthony, I use the Canon 100mm f2.8 (none IS) and the mp-e 65mm

stunning shots......all beautifully captured......

Lovely shots Rhod - which lens did you use for which (or were they all the 100mm)?

1 and 3 are beautiful

wow

I love the mantis

can you give details about the workshop (if not on the board by PM maybe)

mmmmm... love the mantis...

<gorgeous frog too... but ya know, it's the Prince thing ;) >

Thanks again for commenting guys(y)

Paul - all taken with the 100mm.

ChrisA - for the first mantis the BG was an OOF photograph of a hedge with a guassian blur applied and printed A3. The setup was a light tent with a suitable branch inside. One studio light in softbox over the top, a second in front at approx 45 degrees. HTH.

Great shots, the mantis (x2) and the frog are super shots, would love to see the locust with more reflection though (as has already been said :bonk:)

Tara

Last edited:
Very impressive shots. Slightly off "thread" - what did the course comprise? Thinking of signing up.

Very impressive shots. Slightly off "thread" - what did the course comprise? Thinking of signing up.

It was set in the Flash Centre's studio. Five different work stations (2 light tents, a pond, a desert and a back-lit area). Each with studio lights and radio triggers. A "bug man" with a variety of wee beasties to shoot and Mark on hand to offer as much or as little help as required.
Good fun and worth the money.
HTH

Hi, Thanks for that. I have now signed up for the February workshop. Can't wait. Cheers, Hugh

Back