Some times we get things spectacularly wrong

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
I remember many years ago working in a studio where we had many “Commonwealth” new comers as portrait customers. They were mostly from Pakistan but also a number from India and the West Indies.

Soon after I started there, I was put right by a “self appointed” sort of everyone's uncle, who made it very clear how “his People” Liked to have their picture taken. (I found out later that every one went to him to have their problems solved. As did I, when I had problems with any of “his” people).

He had brought in a number of studio shots taken “Back home” and a few of ours.

The difference was startling. The main difference was that in his every one was full length and in an elaborate set, where as ours were almost always head and shoulders and minimal.

He explained that when they came to have their pictures taken, everything that they wore, carried or brought with them was important and chosen with great care. Every detail was important and would be noticed by their families back home. I then realised I was being told off...as I had paid no attention to these things at all... I was only concerned with their faces and how I lit them in the best European tradition.

It seems that I had got everything wrong, they did not like my plain backgrounds. they preferred opulent room sets (even if they were just painted flats) They hated their faces to seen shadowed or dark they much preferred to look a couple of shades fairer. Anything obstructed or hidden was an anathema. They preferred full face to ¾ view. You did not hide hands or obstruct or cut of parts of feet. If they were wearing a watch or any sort of jewellery, or carrying a stick or umbrella it was to be seen. Some brought things with them such as flowers or domestic items that were to be shown, Even television sets.

Interestingly in those days, none of them wore traditional dress, and none of the women wore face veils. men wore suits or Tweed jackets and the women wore either saris with western tops or even full western dress.

The whole emphasis seemed to be.. We are here, aren't we doing well! See how western we are becoming.

There were differences of course between the people from the sub continent and the West Indies They all liked full length shots, thought the West Indians perhaps preferred a more Hollywood “Film Star Look” Especially in pose and lighting. They would sometime bring in magazine pages so show how they wanted to look. However the aim was the same.. to show how well they were doing and how happy they were. Though in actual fact It must have been both difficult and lonely for many of them.

What a great post Terry :)

Sometimes (and I'm guilty of it myself) we are so driven to match a portrait to that elusive 'perfect picture in your head' that we forget that different cultures have different perspectives and requirements.

Thanks for sharing

Back