Some Trees on Ullswater (couple more added).

Name
Mark Littlejohn
Edit My Images
No
I managed to miss the sunset on Saturday but got a wee bit lucky on Sunday morning. I had a particular spot planned but had to abort right at the point of dawn as the conditions changed at the wrong moment. I had a quick run to Ullswater and got a tad lucky with an unusual mist that rolled down the Lake towards Glenridding a bit after dawn. Nor normal weather conditions.

The Distance by Mark Littlejohn, on Flickr

The Secret Life of Trees by Mark Littlejohn, on Flickr

Like them all mate but no 1 stands out for me the most, you must be well chuffed with these.

Cracking set, I've been trying something similar to these over the last few days but nothing like the standard of these.

These really are super shots Mark. Very very moody and atmospheric. I'm in a bit of a B&W phase at the moment but I have to have a liking for #1 with that hint of very muted colours which very much add to the feeling.

Lovely set Mark
I really like No5 the shape of those trees and the tones is great.

Cheers guys - It was a mad ten minutes with great light and soft mist. I was running about like a complete nut trying to make the most of the light while it lasted. I was using the D800 and Zeiss 18mm and the Df with a second hand 35-70 2.8D I bought off here last week. I think #2 is my favourite but I'll be doing a test print of both #1 and #2 this week.

Fabulous set. As has been said the first is my fav. It just needs someone in a red hooded cloak to really make it scary, al a Red Riding-hood or Don't Look Back

One of the best sets of images I've in a while.
They're all just great.
Numbers 1 and 3 pull me in...but I'm also constantly drawn to the last one.
I'd be chuffed to bits to have taken these.

Wow these are just superb; so different from what I expected from the title. The second one is the stand out one for me; I really like that the floor is covered with roots, looks like something from a movie where the floor is alive with snakes or something.

These really are fantastic images. 1, 2, 3 and 6 really work for me, 4 and 5 not quite having the same sense of depth.

Last edited:
What a fantastic set of shots. Id be VERY happy to have taken these.

First two are the best of the bunch for me. I love the subdued pastel colours in the first combined with the mist rolling in off the lake gives it a wonderful etheral feel. I really like the exposed roots and the mono tones in the 2nd. That said the whole set is wonderful.

Cheers again guys. #5 has grown on me as well so might even print that one as well. It would be a tad unusual to do 3 from one day but conditions were brilliant.

Superb set,3 and 5 are my pick although i would have been pleased to have taken any of them.

1st of the new couple is another stunner.

Cheers again folks

Great photos Mark, I first saw them on Flickr and they look just as awesome here!

All single RAW files in LR5 and Silver Efex to answer your question across there mate. Running a couple of dawn cruises on the Steamers this year which should be fun.

Mark

Great set and makes me want to be in the Lakes now, not wait until later in the year!
The first shot hits it for me , but and sorry I have a but, did it work in B&W at all?

The mist or fog really make this set and calms the images even more than normal? weather shots do in the Lakes.

As I said great set, enjoyed a lot, but No1 is the cracker for me.

Alan

Cheers for the added comments folks

Mark

The first shot hits it for me , but and sorry I have a but, did it work in B&W at all?

The mist or fog really make this set and calms the images even more than normal? weather shots do in the Lakes.

As I said great set, enjoyed a lot, but No1 is the cracker for me.

Alan

It did work but not as well in my opinion. The thing I liked about that one was the negative space with just a suggestion of Place Fell through the mist. Processing in B&W, whether with Silver Efex, LR or CC brought more of the fell into play and I just rather liked it as is. I had intended to stick to colour all year after listening to David Ward talk at the Meeting of Minds Conference at Rheged last November but I wasn't able to last very long before doing a mix of B&W and colour.

Hang on now just a minute your doing it all wrong! Do you mean to say you were in the Lake District and you didn't queue up with all the other 'photographers' to point your lens down Ashness jetty?

Well thank god for that!

#2 in particular is deserving of wall space.

Hang on now just a minute your doing it all wrong! Do you mean to say you were in the Lake District and you didn't queue up with all the other 'photographers' to point your lens down Ashness jetty?

Well thank god for that!

#2 in particular is deserving of wall space.

I live 5 miles from Ullswater and 9 months of the year I work on the Ullswater Steamers. I rarely travel as far as Derwent Water, unless I'm en route to Borrowdale for a wander somewhere interesting :)

I'd always far rather take a shot that folk might look at and think "I like that, I wonder where it is"

Simply superb Mark. I am massive fan of your images and style of processing. They give of such a wonderful atmospheric feel.

Thank you Rich. Conditions played a very big part.

Back