Beginner Some unusal DSLR questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'll be looking to but an entry-level DSLR before too long so I'm 'studying form.' However there are a few things which I can't find the answers to in all the literature. Here they are. They might be obvious answers but I'm afraid not to me.

1. Are lenses compatible across manufacturers? Can I fit a Canon lens to a Nikon body, etc?
2. Are things like lens hoods and filters compatible across makes? ISTR a long time ago that (say) a 42mm thread UV filter would fit any lens with a 42mm thread front.
3. Are all DSLRs generally powered by the manufacturers own make of rechargeable battery? This is an issue for me since I may well be without mains power for a full week or two's holiday. For my current camera, I can buy a couple of AAs anywhere.
4. Aperture priority or shutter-speed priority seem to be the main option but do these cameras allow the manual setting of both Aperture and Speed and then fix (or recommend) an ISO setting automatically?

Sorry if these are dopey or have been asked before but I can't find the answers and they all matter to me.

Steve

I'll be looking to but an entry-level DSLR before too long so I'm 'studying form.' However there are a few things which I can't find the answers to in all the literature. Here they are. They might be obvious answers but I'm afraid not to me.

1. Are lenses compatible across manufacturers? Can I fit a Canon lens to a Nikon body, etc?
2. Are things like lens hoods and filters compatible across makes? ISTR a long time ago that (say) a 42mm thread UV filter would fit any lens with a 42mm thread front.
3. Are all DSLRs generally powered by the manufacturers own make of rechargeable battery? This is an issue for me since I may well be without mains power for a full week or two's holiday. For my current camera, I can buy a couple of AAs anywhere.
4. Aperture priority or shutter-speed priority seem to be the main option but do these cameras allow the manual setting of both Aperture and Speed and then fix (or recommend) an ISO setting automatically?

Sorry if these are dopey or have been asked before but I can't find the answers and they all matter to me.

Steve

1. No, although you do get 3rd parties makes lenses for both. They will say which make they're for and you can't swap them between manufacturers.

2. Yes, filters anyway. Hoods tend to have their own fitting.

3. Yes, although third party batteries are available. Again for each make for battery. Either buy and charge a few before you go or you can get universal chargers which work from USB ( I use one attached to this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IPBH5AO?psc=1)

4. It depends on how/what you want to shoot. There is no right answer

Hi Steve

Are lenses compatible across manufacturers? Can I fit a Canon lens to a Nikon body, etc?

As a direct fit, no, not compatible. You can get adapters to allow you to use a different manufacturers lens on a different body - e.g. Nikon on a Canon, but you generally have a price to pay, maybe loss of AF, quality etc etc

Are things like lens hoods and filters compatible across makes?

Filters yes, as they're generally a screw fit / in a screw fit holder, so as long as the filter size is correct or you buy an adapter ring, yes. Lens hoods generally no, most are a custom fit / size to that lens, but you can buy 3rd party lens hoods that screw into the filter ring, in this case, then as with the filter size...

Are all DSLRs generally powered by the manufacturers own make of rechargeable battery? This is an issue for me since I may well be without mains power for a full week or two's holiday. For my current camera, I can buy a couple of AAs anywhere

You can buy 3rd party batteries as well as genuine ones, do you could purchase a few, have them charged and away you go, you could buy a solar charger to charge the batteries - not sure what / cost / how effective they are...
Another option is (for Canon bodies I've had), you could buy a battery grip, which allows you to put 2 of the rechargeable batteries in, but they also come with a AA battery tray, allowing you to use AA batteries in the grip...an example of what I mean http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-bg-e8-battery-grip-for-eos-550d/p1519471

And as Hugh says, #4 this will also depend on the camera's functions as well...

All pretty much answered above,

#4 You should be able to set to M and adjust Aperture and Shutter manually, whilst either leaving ISO on auto, or setting manually.

No such thing as dopey questions.

1: No*, you should remember you're buying into a system, your choice should be influenced by where you might end up in the future, the best way of ensuring that is to choose Nikon or Canon, but it might not be necessary depending on your needs.

2: Filters are based on the thread size at the end of the lens, so depending on your lens collection you might need a couple or loads. Generic lens hoods are available, but they're not often useful. Lens hoods are custom designed per lens, a wide angle lens needs a different hood to a telephoto lens etc.

3: Yes, buy spares, or you can use a battery grip and AA's, but AA's aren't really powerful enough. A vehicle adapted battery charger is another option.

4: On some models that's possible, but it's rare to need to be prescriptive about both shutter speed and aperture in that way.

Thanks for all the answers. But finally...
Does it also apply that all/most Nikon lenses will fit all/most Nikon bodies? Same with Canon/Canon, etc. I'm just talking DSLRs here./

Steve

No not all Nikon lens will fit,the same for Canon,but both Nikon & Canon do chats on their sites,showing which lens go with what bodies :)

No not all Nikon lens will fit

I don't think that's strictly true for Nikon SLR lenses or, at least, it didn't used to be. As far as I'm aware, all Nikon lenses will mount on Nikon APS-C and 35mm cameras, but you could encounter issues with certain camera/lens combinations (e.g., vignetting, loss of auto focus, loss of metering modes, loss of VR, etc.).

It would be best to consult a Nikon lens compatibility guide for more info though (e.g., http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the answers. But finally...
Does it also apply that all/most Nikon lenses will fit all/most Nikon bodies? Same with Canon/Canon, etc. I'm just talking DSLRs here./

Steve

Interesting question. I'm curious as to why you asked, are you interested in collecting lenses perhaps? :)

Regardless of what camera you get, whether Canon or Nikon, there will be good lenses available without switching brand, not to mention the 2nd tier makers (Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, or very high end such as Carl Zeiss). It's just a question of being picky and sometimes looking outside the box. For example, one of the best lenses I've ever used on my Nikon D800 is a simple, cheap Nikon 50mm 1.8, g series prime. It's just brilliant, not just for the price, but literally, brilliant.

With an entry level body, you'll have a crop sensor. So keep that in mind when considering lenses. A 35mm on a crop body would render a similar field of view to a 50mm on a full frame, for example.

Perhaps with a more specific idea of your intended use and future plans, we could club together and give you more insight.

Last edited:
Nikon - Every lens made since about 1959 will physically mount on every SLR/DSLR. However, the extent to which it will work as intended is variable and can be quite complicated. As an example, Nikon have developed two very different autofocus systems over the years. They still make some lenses with the first-generation AF, and of course you can buy them used. But lower-end DSLRs don't have the mechanical gubbins to work them, so they're manual focus only.

Canon - There are two variations of the mount. EF lenses will mount on every DSLR; EF-S lenses will only mount on DSLRs with crop sensors. But if it mounts, it will work 100% with no exceptions that I can think of.

Nikon - Every lens made since about 1959 will physically mount on every SLR/DSLR. However, the extent to which it will work as intended is variable and can be quite complicated. As an example, Nikon have developed two very different autofocus systems over the years. They still make some lenses with the first-generation AF, and of course you can buy them used. But lower-end DSLRs don't have the mechanical gubbins to work them, so they're manual focus only.

Canon - There are two variations of the mount. EF lenses will mount on every DSLR; EF-S lenses will only mount on DSLRs with crop sensors. But if it mounts, it will work 100% with no exceptions that I can think of.

I had understood EF-S lenses will mount on every (Canon) DSLR but may damage the camera if used?. It would make sense if you couldn't take a photo with them mounted.

I had understood EF-S lenses will mount on every (Canon) DSLR but may damage the camera if used?. It would make sense if you couldn't take a photo with them mounted.

Way off topic but:
They don't mount, they're designed that way because the rear element of the 10-20 will hit the mirror of a FF DSLR. in order to save embarrassment Canon stopped it happening. The 10-18 is probably similar. Whereas it's safe to modify the mount of the 18-55 to mount it on a 10d or earlier crop body.

but back to the OP, like a lot of people new to this, you're over-thinking it. Any DSLR you buy today has a myriad of lenses available, both new and second hand, great quality and not so good too. When you need to buy a lens for a particular job, come back and ask, you'll get loads of advice.

Thanks so much guys. I'm studying form before I take the plunge with my first serious camera with the hope of blowing my money on something appropriate. I'm learning lots from magazines, Internet, etc. These questions are aimed at filling in some gaps and you guys are filling them in SO well.

Great Forum you have here. Thanks again.

As above. Nikon have been using the same lens mount since the late 1950s and most of their lenses, including the legacy ones, will work with any Nikon DSLR, but the older, manual, lenses don't meter on the entry level bodies.

Most Nikon lenses will also work on Canon bodies with an adapter, and will usually meter in the manual and aperture priority modes. I use my old Nikkors on a 30D occasionally, with good results. Canon lenses and Nikon bodies are a different story though, because the lens registration distance isn't compatible.

As above. Nikon have been using the same lens mount since the late 1950s and most of their lenses, including the legacy ones, will work with any Nikon DSLR, but the older, manual, lenses don't meter on the entry level bodies.

Most Nikon lenses will also work on Canon bodies with an adapter, and will usually meter in the manual and aperture priority modes. I use my old Nikkors on a 30D occasionally, with good results. Canon lenses and Nikon bodies are a different story though, because the lens registration distance isn't compatible.
Completely OT but many old Pentax and Nikon lenses are easier to use on a Canon DLSR than they are on the one they 'fit'. Strangely this doesn't stop Nikon and Pentax users feeling superior because they 'maintained compatibility' whereas Canon didn't.

Just to muddy the water, there are Fuji DSLRs which use Nikon mount lenses. The S3 Pro uses rechargeable AA batteries, but will NOT use normal alkaline ones. They are all old news now of course, but if you're only looking at entry level then you can still do a lot worse.

I started off with a Bridge camera and found it very useful in learning about photography and exposure. This was a time when the choice of available DSLRs was pretty much between Canon and Nikon. The Bridge camera, a Fuji S602Z Pro, did not have huge zoom range, (few cameras did at the time) but it did have more apertures than some other Bridge cameras at the time, and so allowing a bit more control. Bridge cameras offer a lot of versatility in a small contained package, at the expense of absolute quality and autofocus speed.

When I felt the quality of the Fuji was limiting, and I was getting as much as I could out of the camera, I looked towards a DSLR. Like I said, it was between Canon and Nikon, and though the Canon 350D was slightly the better deal, my knuckles rubbed the lens when I held it. The Nikon D70 felt perfect in the hand, and so that was my choice. That is why I always advise people to try and hold any camera they are interested in.

With regards to your situation, try and define what you want to take pictures of. A Bridge camera enables almost everything from Macro, Portrait, Landscape through to distant subjects, bar fast moving subjects, and imho is a good way to learn, and depending on how much you want to learn, and how quickly you want to learn, it could be all you need, or a short/long intermediate step to a DSLR/CSC camera. Some Bridge cameras have a huge zoom range that a DSLR/CSC camera would be hard to match with 4-5 lenses and whole lot of money.

A DSLR is close to be within your price range though. You would sacrifice versatility, no Macro or distant subjects with the kit lens, and the limited zoom range you would probably only be able to get with the 18-55mm lens you would probably get initially.

More specifically the Pentax range offer the option of "TAv mode, you can specify the aperture and shutter speed you wish to use, and the camera will select ISO for you, based on the Auto ISO setting you've chosen. And, because it's a fully thought-out exposure mode, you can use exposure compensation while you're shooting." I think most, if not all of the Pentax DSLRs have that option. And to get a Pentax DSLR in your price range, you may have to go S/H or save a bit longer.

I think most, if not all, Pentax DSLRs have the option of using AA, or even better AA rechargeables, either by default or via an adapter. You also have the option of being able to use older Pentax lenses, but most newer lenses are higher quality. Few people need a huge choice of lenses, but as has been mentioned earlier, some people choose their brand on the range of lenses available. Whether a lot of these people actually go on a buy more than the 1-3 lenses most people actually end up with is another thing. ;)

Thanks so much guys. I'm studying form before I take the plunge with my first serious camera with the hope of blowing my money on something appropriate. I'm learning lots from magazines, Internet, etc. These questions are aimed at filling in some gaps and you guys are filling them in SO well.

Great Forum you have here. Thanks again.

Studying form will only get you so far, the reality is that any modern dslr is capably of amazing photos and each system has enough lens options to keep anyone happy.

What you really need to do is go to a shop and have a play - how intuitive it feels in the hand is far more important than any minor spec differences.

Studying form will only get you so far
Fair enough but its somewhere to start from.
What you really need to do is go to a shop and have a play - how intuitive it feels in the hand is far more important than any minor spec differences.
Actually, I tried that last weekend at my local (15 miles away) Camera Shop. Asking to 'try for feel' I was given three cameras (two Nikon, one Canon) and no offered advice. The assistant wasn't enthusiastic - not really interested. He did answer my direct questions but offered nothing more despite several opportunities I gave him to go into chat or salesman mode.
I went in this same shop 40 years ago and the salesman asked me what I knew about cameras. When I told him 'very little' he entertained me for 20 minutes by explaining all about the basics of SLRs and I walked out with a new Praktica LTL. His parting shot was "and don't forget to come back with some photos: especially the bad ones, we can help you with those!" How times change. :)

Steve

Fair enough but its somewhere to start from.

Actually, I tried that last weekend at my local (15 miles away) Camera Shop. Asking to 'try for feel' I was given three cameras (two Nikon, one Canon) and no offered advice. The assistant wasn't enthusiastic - not really interested. He did answer my direct questions but offered nothing more despite several opportunities I gave him to go into chat or salesman mode.
I went in this same shop 40 years ago and the salesman asked me what I knew about cameras. When I told him 'very little' he entertained me for 20 minutes by explaining all about the basics of SLRs and I walked out with a new Praktica LTL. His parting shot was "and don't forget to come back with some photos: especially the bad ones, we can help you with those!" How times change. :)

Steve

The name of the shop didn't begin with J did it?...If so, thats the same story at one such store near here. Although, the other branch is still great, once you get past the front line sales people.

Interesting question. I'm curious as to why you asked, are you interested in collecting lenses perhaps? :)

If we assume that once the OP has bought a DSLR he'll want a lens to fit it I assume "what will fit" is a vital question and nothing at all to do with collecting lenses :thinking:

Last edited:
If we assume that once the OP has bought a DSLR he'll want a lens to fit it I assume "what will fit" is a vital question and nothing at all to do with collecting lenses :thinking:

lol, yes I see what you mean. But it would be fair to assume, even for a beginner, that both Nikon, Canon and other brands, make plenty of lenses to fit their own cameras. I was curious as to the reason for asking if Canon lenses would fit Nikon, for example.

I was curious as to the reason for asking if Canon lenses would fit Nikon, for example.
Well, if you know that Canon lenses don't fit Nikon cameras, and vice versa, then it seems obvious. But if you don't know, it seems like a reasonable question. You'd be surprised how often we get clients asking this.

Yep, just collecting information before taking the plunge. IIRC, when I bought my Praktica about 40 years back, it would take Pentax lenses which I could upgrade to if I could ever afford them and that was a factor in my choice. I never could or did so I'm not sure .

Steve

Well, if you know that Canon lenses don't fit Nikon cameras, and vice versa, then it seems obvious. But if you don't know, it seems like a reasonable question. You'd be surprised how often we get clients asking this.
When you know the answer it's always blindingly obvious, untill then you ask.

Except old EF sigma lenses which may need to be rechipped to work with DSLRs

also beware of very cheap canon lenses on Ebay - they often turn out to be FD or M42 with cheap adapters to EF - they'll fit and theoretically work but you won't get autofocus or through the lens metering

There are now other kinds of serious exchangeable lens camera systems apart from DSLRs, for example various kinds of mirrorless or Sony's DSLTs. What's more the technology and what's on offer is changing quite rapidly. They're better in various ways than the old fashioned classic DSLR, and worse in others, so it depends what features really matter to you.
So I'd second the idea of getting a good bridge camera, maybe second hand, one with all the control features of a DSLR. That will be your camera skills and photography technology learning tool. After you've had it for a year you'll have a much better idea of what kinds of features you really want, what you don't really care about, and what's on offer in the marketplace.

Except old EF sigma lenses which may need to be rechipped to work with DSLRs
Yes, fair point. I was referring to Canon lenses only, of course, and I think you know that. But the OP is a beginner who may well not know that, so it's worth elaborating.

The issue here is that the camera manufacturers like Canon and Nikon don't publish the specifications for their camera/lens interfaces, so the independent lens manufacturers like Sigma and Tamron have to reverse engineer them. The hardware side of this isn't so difficult, but the software side - the communications protocol - can be very tricky. Every now and then Canon will introduce a new function into the protocol which they'd been planning for a while, but Sigma knew nothing about. Suddenly Sigma lenses don't work on new Canon cameras because they can't speak the language. So they have to be recalled and re-chipped (probably a firmware update) If they are to keep on functioning.

This doesn't happen often but it's always a risk when buying third party lenses.

Yes, fair point. I was referring to Canon lenses only, of course, and I think you know that. But the OP is a beginner who may well not know that, so it's worth elaborating.

(y) I knew you knew that, but a beginner could easily take Canon lenses to mean 'anything with a canon lens mount' rather than only those made by canon

Yes, I was originally asking in very general terms. It might have been the case that things have been standardised and most lenses would fit most camers. Wouldn't that be nice? Simple at least!

Now I've read some more, I see that lenses are amazingly complex things. They're not just plastic and glass - there's electronics and motors and shake compensation and lots of clever auto-stuff and all manner of things in them. No wonder they cost!

Steve

Yes, I was originally asking in very general terms. It might have been the case that things have been standardised and most lenses would fit most camers. Wouldn't that be nice? Simple at least!

Now I've read some more, I see that lenses are amazingly complex things. They're not just plastic and glass - there's electronics and motors and shake compensation and lots of clever auto-stuff and all manner of things in them. No wonder they cost!

Steve

Hmm, yes. Some of them are even made of metal too, just like the old ones! :D

Steve
All that and amazingly, all the plastic and electronics and stuff is the cheap bit. That glass is where you're spending your money.

A shake reduction AF kit zoom is less than £100 whereas a quality fast fixed focal length manual focus lens can cost a lot more

I think most, if not all, Pentax DSLRs have the option of using AA, or even better AA rechargeables, either by default or via an adapter. You also have the option of being able to use older Pentax lenses, but most newer lenses are higher quality. Few people need a huge choice of lenses, but as has been mentioned earlier, some people choose their brand on the range of lenses available. Whether a lot of these people actually go on a buy more than the 1-3 lenses most people actually end up with is another thing. ;)

My Kx (not a current model) uses AA batteries, but they really need to be a minimum of Lithium - alkaline ones will whine about being low after you've taken about three photos, though to an extent it's more about the circuit that senses battery life than anything, but it's unnerving once you've walked some distance before switching the camera on. I'm not sure about the higher and newer modelsI must admit I picked mine partly for brand loyalty (my film cameras were all Pentax) and partly so I could re-use my old lenses, some being Pentax K-mount and some being the earlier M42 screw body.

I used my Pentax a 50mm on my Pentax dslr 90% of the time in fact when I switched to Nikon I sold everything apart from the lens, I love it that much

Just to add another option - the manuals for many SLRs can be downloaded from the manufacturer's websites. May help shed some light. And buy (or borrow from your local camera club) back issues of magazines. They will usually run a beginner's section once or twice a year.

many used bookstores and online stores have manuals also.

Person who replied years later, has done so on a couple of old threads....also joined on April 1st.....just saying....

..........and it's always new users to the forum who bring up old threads and then they don't come back. I wish there was a way in stopping users from bringing up old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back