Beginner Someone wants my photo for their social media business page

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently took some photos at a wedding. I wasnt paid, I was the car driver, but I asked if I could take some photos for my own practice, and I would send the happy couple the edits.
They are over the moon with the photos.
One of the photos is of their dog, wearing a Bow-tie and candidly looking up a womans skirt.
Its a great candid shot IMO.
Anyway, the company that made the doggy bow-tie wants to use the photo for their on-line social media pages.
Im not in any kind of photography business, and purely an amateur.
Should I be asking for any kind of financial contribution or rights of ownership/recognition, whatever?
Or is it normal good practice to let them use the photo.
Should it be watermarked so I get some recognition?
I have no problems in them using the photos but just wanted to know where i stand?

The standard response on this forum is that if they are making commercial gain from your photo then you should too. How much depends on the size of the company, if they are small it might only be a token fee but I think it good to ask in instances like this (ownership is another matter but at the least I would want to retain rights to use the image elsewhere).

Sometimes as an amateur the joy of getting something published is enough to give an image away but in this instance I wouldn't have thought so but that's up to you to decide.

Im not sure they are making "commercial gain" as its not being sold on. Just used on their social media page.
What sort of fee is asked for and how do you retain rights of use?

They may not be selling on your image but they are using it in one form or another to promote items that they are selling. They are making money (or trying to) and using your efforts to do so.

You seem to be distinguishing "social media" from advertising but for a business it is the same thing. How would you feel if they put your image on their facebook/twitter/whatever and it "goes viral" and gets them thousnds of followers who all "like" the photo but you get no credit?

BTW that's not a rhetorical question, ask yourself how you would feel? If you don't mind at all then go head, give them the photo (I would still be tempted to point out that you retain copyright etc.) If on the other hand you feel that you deserve at least credit for the photo, or may be £50 of their advertising budget, or a free dog bowtie, or whatever then ask for that up-front.

That's a serious business concern. They will have an advertising budget. If they are using your photo then they should pay you. As Chris has said £50 would seem fair.

For modern businesses, social media is part of their advertising and promotions. If they like the photograph and want it enough, they will make a payment. License the image, discuss usage terms and timespan, yet you retain copyright.

Thanks gents. Unfortunately i dont own dogs or horses so any gift would be useless to me. I think i will suggest a small payment as you state.

Looks like a big company and your image sounds like a great image to promote their products.... go for it suggest a grand but negotiable. you may then see the true value of your image to them. You have nothing to loose. :whistle:

If they can run a high street shop, sell doggy bow-ties for £25 and doggy coats for over £100 each then they can afford to pay you for a marketing photo. Whether they will of course remains to be seen.

They approached Jason so the must see the potential in the image:)....If they do not want to pay a fair price then for me they don't get the image:cool:

How about the lady who owns the skirt - has she signed a model release? :)

(£50 would be a good figure)

Oh dear how on earth do people mange to buy or sell anything! " We are interested in using your photo for social media " . "What are you prepared to pay to use it?"." No you tell us what you want". "When you know what you are prepared to pay contact me and I will tell you if that is acceptable". End of matter.

If they don't,cannot tell you what they will pay then they don't want to pay. Go and make nice cup of tea and forget about being famous for free.

To me it's not just about us amateurs and the firms wanting to use our images, never happened to me BTW. It's also about those making a living selling their work for comersials etc.

I approached the trader. They don't have a high street shop, and he runs his business from home. Ive suggested a suitable payment within his Advertising budget but he has replied stating as a sole trader, and small start up business, he cannot afford to pay. I'm still thinking about my course of action.

There's a surprise.
There are more sole traders losing money than farmers on the breadline. Honest!
It not up to you to help his business enterprise even though he will give you a "credit".

I approached the trader. They don't have a high street shop, and he runs his business from home. Ive suggested a suitable payment within his Advertising budget but he has replied stating as a sole trader, and small start up business, he cannot afford to pay. I'm still thinking about my course of action.
Based on that, I would say no. I took a look at his website, and it looks like he could afford to pay you something.

There's nothing to think about. If he's too cheapskate to pay for his promotional material, then so be it. Don't let someone take advantage of you!

The fact that he runs his business from home means he has no real overheads. He is trading online and his site is pretty impressive. Two sales generated will pay you your due.so don't be soft Tell him £50 or no use of the image. Mind you he could commission an pro to do some images and what would that cost him. The fact that he sees the potential of your image says it all. Don't let him use it for free it undermines the pro togs.:)

Don't let him use it for free it undermines the pro togs.:)

This I don't understand. It's a line I hear loads on here and I am partly sympathetic but times change and everything moves on, I don't hear much sorrow for all the bricks and mortar shops who haven't "moved with the times", or people complaining that their cars don't fail to start on cold mornings any more (when was the last time you heard a fan belt squeal?). Fact is the world has changed, mediocre photography is cheap and it isn't the fittest that survive but those who are most able to adapt.

The other thing you said I agree with though, business is business. As I said previously, some things are worth giving an image for (published in a book or travel guide maybe) but for this I would see it as purely business.

In fairness, having an impressive website means relatively little in business terms. If you have time and expertise, you can set one up for relatively little money. This is something you figure out if you have been around for a while.

However, the fact that they cannot/do not want to pay is irrelevant. If I were to decide to put an advert for my own business in a local newspaper, I would have to part with money to do so. The amount of cash in the bank that I might claim not to have, would be irrelevant to the publication carrying the advertising. I would have to pay them to do that. Pleading poverty would achieve nothing (and rightly so - they don't owe me anything). The same goes in this case.

(I would still be tempted to point out that you retain copyright etc.)

Whatever you decide to do, insist on retaining copyright. Otherwise this character could give away or sell your image to all and sundry and you would have no come back at all.

If it is a business, I would approach them in a business-like fashion. In other words - expect to get a payment.

These days social media is the department shop window and your website is the shop. Department stores used to make a big thing about window displays as they are the hook.

So very much so you should charge.

The problem these days with social media is that only 5% are probably commercially linked to businesses, the rest are personal ones. Most think they can just use images for social media with no thought of copyright and therefore the general consensus is that images on any social media have little or no commercial value and so copy right or paying for them is viewed with consternation.

After a few discussions with the company, I am happy to let them use my images for social media use only. My watermark is left in place and they will mention my name as a classic car wedding car, and candid photographer, and possible pet photographer. They are sending me some free doggy clothing items so I can possibly get some little jobs by word of mouth, and they will send any enquiries my way. I am not in the photography business so I'm not allowed to make any money for tax reasons. .............................................

After a few discussions with the company, I am happy to let them use my images for social media use only. My watermark is left in place and they will mention my name as a classic car wedding car, and candid photographer, and possible pet photographer. They are sending me some free doggy clothing items so I can possibly get some little jobs by word of mouth, and they will send any enquiries my way. I am not in the photography business so I'm not allowed to make any money for tax reasons. .............................................
in this one off instance you would be able to take some money from them without tax liability.

Don't let him use it for free it undermines the pro togs.:)

This I don't understand. It's a line I hear loads on here and I am partly sympathetic but times change and everything moves on, I don't hear much sorrow for all the bricks and mortar shops who haven't "moved with the times", or people complaining that their cars don't fail to start on cold mornings any more (when was the last time you heard a fan belt squeal?). Fact is the world has changed, mediocre photography is cheap and it isn't the fittest that survive but those who are most able to adapt..
I also find this a strange attitude. In the commercial world NOBODY sets their prices in such a way as to benefit their competitors! Commercially, the best system is for your competitors to go bust and leave you with the entire market. If the "pro togs" cannot compete they are not competitive and should not expect to have a business. Would you expect Tesco to set their prices to maximise Harrods' business? Personally, I am happy to pay Tesco prices and sod Harrods - and I am quite happy to accept free food from my neighbours allotment and sod Tesco in turn!

Back