Someone wants to use my photo- help please

In monetary terms, any product is only 'worth' what somebody is willing to pay for it.

(y)

A book, a calendar, a mention.....many people are happy to see their images used without being 'paid'.

Nobody is loosing out as they're not looking to pay out and would only find other images to use by other people willing to allow usage.

It's your image and your choice (y)

Last edited:
Consider the fact that if Sue was to ask and receive payment for the shot would it be enough to justify the time and hassle of telling the tax man filling in the forms and paying them their dues, finding a new insurance to cover her gear after all if you receive payment for taking photos then you’re not going to be able to cover your gear on the household insurance any longer.

Sue I’m sure you know that this is the reaction from a certain section of the membership every time someone posts the f word in here don’t let it spoil that warm fuzzy feeling your getting right now, make sure you get a copy of the book so that you can show family and friends.

Wow, seems quite a heated thread!

Sue, if I was in your position, I'd have been so chuffed that someone wanted to use one of my photos I'd have said yes without a second thought. Probably a naive attitude but there are millions of photos of cats and they chose yours as it demonstrates what they are looking for.

It may well not have been chosen for the pictures technical excellence but there is definitely more to it being chosen than 'just because it's free'. I would think it's because the picture really captures the cats mood and attitude.

Having read this thread, I think asking for a copy of the published work is a great idea as well as giving your flickr link.

Well done, hope your enjoying the moment :)

Sue,

I saw this and arguments aside, I just wanted to pop in and say well done (y)
Whatever mine or anyone else's feelings about it are, it's your choice what you want to do with your photograph but I'm glad that you've asked for some recompense by requesting a copy of the book.
I hope you enjoy it when it arrives.

Consider the fact that if Sue was to ask and receive payment for the shot would it be enough to justify the time and hassle of telling the tax man filling in the forms and paying them their dues, finding a new insurance to cover her gear after all if you receive payment for taking photos then you’re not going to be able to cover your gear on the household insurance any longer.

Slightly off the mark there Karl, although I see where you're coming from.
Take a look at hmrc's badges of trade. These are the guidelines that hmrc apply to determine whether trading (and therefore a business) is actually being carried out.

In this instance, a one-off isolated payment for a pre-existing photograph that was taken for Sue's own pleasure is highly unlikely to be construed as trading.

david1701 said:
maybe we have differing standards of 'snap', probably open a wrist before I delivered that to a client with my name attached, let alone asked for a credit

You seem to be posting some very aggressive stuff recently, do you need a hug? :p

You are not putting me out of business. That is laughable. What you are doing is giving away work that is worth more than 'free' for the sake of an ego boost -and I find that quite sad. I don't believe you are sorry about it either.

give it a break, its the girls photo and she cna do what she wants with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
....Why don't you ask the author/publisher to make a donation to the animal conservation/protection charity of your choice (say £50-£100 or so) and rather than providing contact details get them to name the charity alongside your credit.

Good idea Mark. One of the referee's who officiate's at my rugby club contacted me after looking on the clubs website and after seeing the match photo's wanted the ones with him in the shot, for his own personal use.

He wanted to know how much it would cost and I just said "Make a donation to a charity" and he made a donation to GoSH (Great Ormond St), I was happy.

Sue, you have my complete support.

Last edited by a moderator:
im with you on this one sue

if your happy to give it away for free then do so, ive given my some of my pics away to friends family and even a charity asked for some ( and mine are not that good tbh )

Crikey!!
Being a newbie this thread makes one worry a bit about asking for advice! It certainly seems to have touched a few raw nerves.
I would have been as chuffed as Sue.:eek:

Can we please stop bickering?

Jesus H Christ, who let the nursery out early?

I bet your real sorry you asked now Sue...............

OP, give them the photo, get a copy of the book, smile :D

DemiLion, nice idea, but I'd imagine that that's the last you'd hear from them.

everyone else...pick your battles...

take-picture-of-cat-put-photographers-out-of-business.jpg

:LOL:

There was once a Cat thread on here before...http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=282000

Thanks for all the comments. It is interesting to hear everyones thoughts, even the negative ones.

In most areas of work you will find people who are less qualified doing the job free of charge, from "Special" Police Officers to the man who cuts my lawn for nothing.

I do photography as a hobby, I am not very good at it, and only have quite basic equipment. I really enjoy it though and like showing my pictures to others for praise and for critque.I dont think that is "sad".I was chuffed that someone wanted my picture, which was just a snap, for their book.It was chosen I'm told because the cat is clearly "communicating".

The author of the book said that most people who are contacted about using their pictures from Flickr are happy to offer them for nothing or for a copy of the book.I'm quite happy to get a copy of the book as a reward.I am disabled and retired and have no wish to make money from photography. I just enjoy it and try to improve with the help and support of my many friends on here who have taught me things through critquing my photos.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I have now contacted the author with my reply and signed the agreement which he sent me.

OP, give them the photo, get a copy of the book, smile :D

DemiLion, nice idea, but I'd imagine that that's the last you'd hear from them.

everyone else...pick your battles...

take-picture-of-cat-put-photographers-out-of-business.jpg

ROFL at the edit.... :D

I think dave must have been on the sherry last night, hes only a rude, thoughtless wazzock when hes been on the sauce.

very disheartening to see some of the comments people post sometimes, the polite gene seams to skip a few people now and again.

I think dave must have been on the sherry last night, hes only a rude, thoughtless wazzock when hes been on the sauce.

very disheartening to see some of the comments people post sometimes, the polite gene seams to skip a few people now and again.

I believe that it was something strange and russian. He messaged me on twitter at about midday, swearing that it was evil....

so what comes around goes around I guess :D

Get the book and any other stuff your shot will be used in :cool: You'll have it forever .... the few quid you might get will be long gone!

Back