Something a bit different

Edit My Images
No
I found a lacewing on the ceiling yesterday and, as the weather was bad, decided to try something a bit different from the usual, natural surroundings shot. I quite liked the effect, so I tried some more today :D

Lacewing:

Lacewing by William Harvey2010, on Flickr

Lacewing by William Harvey2010, on Flickr

Mite:

Mite on White by William Harvey2010, on Flickr

Stick insects:

Indian Stick Insect (Carausius morosus) by William Harvey2010, on Flickr

There's some more in a similar style on my Flickr, I think this post is long enough already though :LOL:

Thanks for looking

Were do I start?

Fantastic I think they are brilliant!

its like insect portraits!!

Thanks all :D

Ash, I think the mite is my favourite too :)

Rhod, nothing as sophisticated as a light tent :LOL: Just an A4 sheet of glossy photo paper with the flash (YN-465) off camera somewhere near the subject through a Lumiquest mini-softbox combined with a few adjustments in Lightroom (and occasionally a bit of dodging in PS) after just to brighten off the background a bit more as and when it was needed.:)

It's a velvet mite is it? (Trombidium ?- had to google that!). I was looking into getting some of these, they're very cute!

TBH, I'd been wondering what it was. I found one on a big grass thing in the garden a while back and definitely misidentified it as a red spider mite :LOL:
Just happened to find another on the same plant yesterday and thought I'd give it a go on the white.

I think you're right on the ID, it does look very similar to the velvet mite (y)

Amazing! that lacewing is a born star, I predict big things for that one. :)

Where did you find the mite and stick insect?

Amazing! that lacewing is a born star, I predict big things for that one. :)

Where did you find the mite and stick insect?

It was unbelievably cooperative, sat almost completely still for ages before it decided it had done its bit and flew off :LOL:

I'd never realised how colourful their eyes are, that definitely helps give the shot an extra bit of interest

The mite was on a plant in the garden and the sticks belong to my little sister, I've been meaning to take some shots of them for a while, they're quite impressive in their own way, I suppose :LOL:

TBH, I'd been wondering what it was. I found one on a big grass thing in the garden a while back and definitely misidentified it as a red spider mite :LOL:
Just happened to find another on the same plant yesterday and thought I'd give it a go on the white.

I think you're right on the ID, it does look very similar to the velvet mite (y)

Oh I assumed you kept them, with the stick insect pics as well, I see not! I didn't realise we got the velvet mites in the UK; I only know them as people keep them. I'll have to have a look out for them! :D

Back