Something about Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will hardly find similar today. It is not politically correct. Nothing sane or decent is any more. Just worship with germanic tree, the snowman and most importantly GET ON WITH THE SHOPPING.

You will hardly find similar today. It is not politically correct. Nothing sane or decent is any more. Just worship with germanic tree, the snowman and most importantly GET ON WITH THE SHOPPING.

The one I hate is "happy holidays". I always correct them and say it is "Merry Christmas"...

Nothing sane or decent is any more.

I pity those who can’t see the intrinsic good in the human race.

Particularly those who actually believe that their particular sky fairy actually makes them more ‘decent’ than other people.

Whilst all around us we can see sexual and economic abuse by ‘churches’ persecution, torture and murder in the name of some or other ‘god’.

The biggest ‘weakness’ in ‘political correctness’ is allowing people the freedom to have their religious views respected.

The winter festival predates Christianity by a long way and to pretend otherwise is a typically wilfully ignorant view.

The fact you’d twist this heartwarming story to spout some right wing nonsense is typical.

Half a mile from here the nativity scene outside our local church looks exactly as it did 30 years ago. The vicar is a lovely bloke and there’s lots of great work done in the community. Meanwhile right wing zealots who have no morals and no love for their fellow man just want to be judgemental victims.

Americans tend to say "Happy Holidays" because it doesn't presume the recipient of the greeting is Christian so can include the Jewish holiday of Hannukah as well as Christmas and even New Year as well as whatever mid winter festivities you're into.
Right wing Brits misunderstand the sentiment behind HH probably on purpose to try and make out it's some kind of PC attack on Christmas when it's nothing of the sort.

So you're willing to speak out against other religions and challenge the beliefs of others, or is it just Christians that invoke your wrath?
Absolutely!
Read what I posted again (both posts)

Interesting that 2 of the most hate filled and intolerant members here wish to see themselves aligned with religion.

I know a lot of good Christian folk and none of them behave in the same way.

Err, all the time. Merry Christmas is what we say in Britain.

I don't understand your needlessly aggressive and pugnacious tone. Never the less Philip, have a Merry Christmas.
Exactly! :LOL:

So when did you actually hear ‘happy holidays’ in Glasgow?

Because I’ve never once heard it in Yorkshire (except in American movies)

Americans tend to say "Happy Holidays" because it doesn't presume the recipient of the greeting is Christian so can include the Jewish holiday of Hannukah as well as Christmas and even New Year as well as whatever mid winter festivities you're into.
Right wing Brits misunderstand the sentiment behind HH probably on purpose to try and make out it's some kind of PC attack on Christmas when it's nothing of the sort.

Christmas by definition is a Christian celebration. Other people from other faiths may well participate in general festivities that surround Christmas but I have always said, and will always say Merry Christmas, or have a good Christmas etc because it is not the holidays, it is Christmas.

Yes Phil, I was gunna say - the massive nativity scene in the center of Birmingham "Christmas" Market was looking pretty nice yesterday, but I suppose that doesn't fit with the narrative :)

What?? In Birmingham?
Where there’s no go areas for the police due to Muslamification and the council recently scrapped the Christmas lights because of ‘political correctness’?

Surely you’re mistaken. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Christmas by definition is a Christian celebration. Other people from other faiths may well participate in general festivities that surround Christmas but I have always said, and will always say Merry Christmas, or have a good Christmas etc because it is not the holidays, it is Christmas.
No one's stopping you saying Merry Christmas but if someone else wants to say Happy Holidays - because as I've just explained - and I'm sure you already knew - Christmas isn't the only celebration at this time of year, what's the problem?
You said you correct them. So it's you imposing your phrase one others, not them imposing theirs on you.

Christmas is the Christian appropriation of the winter festivals that pre date Christianity for hundreds of years, interestingly other religions also created a festival at a similar time of year (seasonally shifted due to geography)

I’m happy for you to celebrate however you want, but I’m not happy for you to force your incorrect assumptions on others!

And just for good measure I’ve checked with the Mrs, and in our joint over 100 years on the planet, the only time we’ve heard ‘happy holidays’ is in American movies.

No one's stopping you saying Merry Christmas but if someone else wants to say Happy Holidays - because as I've just explained - and I'm sure you already knew - Christmas isn't the only celebration at this time of year, what's the problem?
You said you correct them. So it's you imposing your phrase one others, not them imposing theirs on you.

I don't like it - therefore I politely remind them its Christmas.

Merry Christmas Jon :D

Christmas is the Christian appropriation of the winter festivals that pre date Christianity for hundreds of years, interestingly other religions also created a festival at a similar time of year (seasonally shifted due to geography)

I’m happy for you to celebrate however you want, but I’m not happy for you to force your incorrect assumptions on others!

And just for good measure I’ve checked with the Mrs, and in our joint over 100 years on the planet, the only time we’ve heard ‘happy holidays’ is in American movies.

Err - for almost the last two Millennia it has been Christmas and December is when Christmas has been celebrated. No-one practices these pagan religions anymore so it is a non issue.

Social media, I have corrected a few places using that awful phrase.
On social media?

FFS according to social media, if 100,000 people pray for a sick child God will heal them, and I can work out my ‘Elf name’ by giving some corporation access to my account!

Happy Holidays is the least of my concerns amongst the nutjobs who share crap on Facebook.

On social media?

FFS according to social media, if 100,000 people pray for a sick child God will heal them, and I can work out my ‘Elf name’ by giving some corporation access to my account!

Happy Holidays is the least of my concerns amongst the nutjobs who share crap on Facebook.

I don't use facebook - I saw this on the Lee Filters instragram page and a few other car makers who I follow - so I wished them in a Merry Christmas in the way I do best :D.

Err - for almost the last two Millennia it has been Christmas and December is when Christmas has been celebrated in some of the world by followers of my particular belief. The practices these pagan religions celebrate have been incorporated into our celebrations in order to help convert people to Christianity so it is an issue we all should have an understanding of if we’re to have a balanced world view.

FTFY ;)

I don't use facebook - I saw this on the Lee Filters instragram page and a few other car makers who I follow - so I wished them in a Merry Christmas in the way I do best :D.
So these people could have been American or from other cultures

Well done on ‘putting them right’ :tumbleweed:

Guys, this is in the Talk Photography section but there has been precious little talk about photography so I've closed it.

@sirch please feel free to repost but, to everyone else in this thread, any repeat of the way this thread has gone may result in people having a little extra time to spend with their families this Christmas. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back