Something different...dissected owl pellets

Canon Bob

Loves the Enemy
Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Short of living creepies at the moment, it was time to dissect some of the owl pellets left in the garden...the owl eats well around here. With a tube of super-glue, it should be possible to re-build several rodent skeletons.
Bob
#1 Half dissected pellet

Pellet_1s.jpg

#2 Rodent skull
skull_2s.jpg

#3 Another rodent skull
Skull_1s.jpg

That's quite horrific up close Bob. I can't say I've ever found an owl pellet before. Nice insight into owl waste management. (y)

With a tube of super-glue, it should be possible to re-build several rodent skeletons.
Bob

What a clever idea Bob(y)
I've got the glue if you've got the time :D

Cool idea for an "assignment"

Wow, brings back memories of primary school, we did a project with Owl poo - twit twoo-d never be allowed these days though, get it twit twoo-d ;)

Really cool though, are you going to rebuild ?

That's quite horrific up close Bob. I can't say I've ever found an owl pellet before. Nice insight into owl waste management. (y)
The owl sits in the same place every few days and deposits the pellet....not sure why we get it.

What a clever idea Bob(y)
I've got the glue if you've got the time :D

Cool idea for an "assignment"
I'm collecting bits.....5 skulls and masses of thing bones etc....re-building is a strong possibilty.

Wow, brings back memories of primary school, we did a project with Owl poo - twit twoo-d never be allowed these days though, get it twit twoo-d ;)
Really cool though, are you going to rebuild ?
Not exactly "poo". The owl collects all the bones and fur in its stomach and then regurgitates it in a neat little parcel.
See here for more details and a video tutorial on pellet dissection. http://www.kidwings.com/owlpellets/
TFL Bob

I'm collecting bits.....5 skulls and masses of thing bones etc....re-building is a strong possibilty.

I guess your were being as sarcastic as me Bob?
As a pellet can contain 3 or 4 feild mice you may have a few bits left over ( just like I do when I build something :D)
Is it about 140 seperate bones to a mouse skeleton? I can't remember now :shrug:

I guess your were being as sarcastic as me Bob?
As a pellet can contain 3 or 4 feild mice you may have a few bits left over ( just like I do when I build something :D)
Is it about 140 seperate bones to a mouse skeleton? I can't remember now :shrug:

Sadly no, the link I posted has a layout card for rodents on one of its pages. I'm waiting for the owl to have a bad night (only one victim) so that I don't end up with with a two headed shrew or a six legged field mouse. All the various bits are spread out on a sheet here...I'll post you a pic in the morning.
I'm only losing it slightly...haven't bought a Nikon yet :D

Bob

Sadly no, the link I posted has a layout card for rodents on one of its pages. I'm waiting for the owl to have a bad night (only one victim) so that I don't end up with with a two headed shrew or a six legged field mouse. All the various bits are spread out on a sheet here...I'll post you a pic in the morning.
I'm only losing it slightly...haven't bought a Nikon yet :D

Bob

You have my sympathy:D admiration Bob (y)

You have my sympathy:D admiration Bob (y)

I'm planning a meet where we can all bring our owl pellets and maybe swap ome of the missing bits....can I put your name down?

:puke: creepy photos, but very well executed Bob! (y)

It wasn't executed Yvonne...the owl ate it.

Given your heritage, you could find yourself doing the same thing in about...ooow.....9 years time ;)

Bob

I'm planning a meet where we can all bring our owl pellets and maybe swap ome of the missing bits....can I put your name down?

Thanks but no thanks Bob :D
my red tail produces enough castings (pellets)
without going looking for them :D

Well at least you know the rodent control is effective.

Good luck putting it all together, its a different sort of jigsaw to the ones most people do :LOL:

Well thank you ladies....maybe you'd like to join in the proposed pellet disection meet?....I don't need an answer right away.

Bob

PS...Anybody want a redundant cat ?

Ooh yes please, does he come with built in lap warming or would I need to reprogram him for that?

The lap warming software works fine...you'd just need to add a bit of hardware...he's a she !

a six legged field mouse.

Would anyone else prefer this to a standard reconsituted mouse skeleton, or is it just me? :thinking:

Imagine if you could get it looking vaguely kosher, then mount it on a little hardwood stand on your desk. The questions people would ask!

Certainly an unusual subject Bob, superbly sharp shots.
How are you finding the focus screen ?

Certainly an unusual subject Bob, superbly sharp shots.
How are you finding the focus screen ?

The screen's good although it needs more light than the original. Focus is spot on each time and if it's slightly OOF hand held then it's down to movement after focussing. On a tripod with the MT or MR preview lights, it's great. I would say though that I wouldn't want it for all shooting and this body will be for macro and closeup only.

My dearest wish is that the preview lights would stay on until the shutter was depressed....I hate the timeout function and batteries are good enough noways that it's not neccessary to limit their use.

Bob

Back