Something new for me

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
So as people who've seen me put stuff up on here, its usually self portraits, pics of my kids or friend's kids. Tonight an old work colleague popped by whilst myself and Buck were talking about portraiture in general. She's not a model, she is very self conscious but was generous enough to have her pic taken!

Highlighted several things for me:

1) Have a plan
2) Make sure you can communicate your plan to the subject effectively
3) Try to force myself not to frame too tight (I like it but variety is good!)
4) I really love using my camera
5) I love my lencarta UP 300

anyhow, quick couple

Emma test-6 by Sir SR, on Flickr

Emma test-5 by Sir SR, on Flickr

Emma test-10 by Sir SR, on Flickr

Emma test-1 by Sir SR, on Flickr

Emma test-3 by Sir SR, on Flickr
Thanks for looking

S

Last edited:
She's definitely not got anything to be self conscious about, very attractive.

That aside I like the set. Well lit, eyes very engaging, nice poses even when straight on

I'd be happy with them (y)

I like the B&W's

could not see them on flickr marked as private ?

I like the B&W's

could not see them on flickr marked as private ?

Hi.

Thanks for looking. I'd marked them as private as she didn't mind me getting other photographers opinions, but didn't want the complete "openness" of Flickr until she was happy - very self conscious (unnecessarily IMHO) as I've said!

S

She's definitely not got anything to be self conscious about, very attractive.

That aside I like the set. Well lit, eyes very engaging, nice poses even when straight on

I'd be happy with them (y)

Hi

Thanks for looking. It was the first time I've posed a "model" and that said it was very useful for me as next time I'll know how to do certain things better!

S

Hi.

Thanks for looking. I'd marked them as private as she didn't mind me getting other photographers opinions, but didn't want the complete "openness" of Flickr until she was happy - very self conscious (unnecessarily IMHO) as I've said!

S

That's fine
No:4 could do with some skin smoothing (being B&W may have made it look worse than it is) but she is a nice looking Woman.

Last edited:
That's fine
No:4 could do with some skin smoothing (being B&W may have made it look worse than it is) but she is a nice looking Woman.

Hi Helen

thanks, you're right - I did that conversion last night before I went to bed and missed several of my usual processing steps!

I'll upload a re-edit in a min.

I really wanted a bit more space after shooting last night - roll on lottery win :LOL:

S

Great photos.

When you say "I love my lencarta UP 300", does this mean it was the only light source? As a newbie, I'm baffled as to how these were taken with a single light source if, in fact, that was the case.

Yep!
Good series. I like.

DrGed said:
Great photos.

When you say "I love my lencarta UP 300", does this mean it was the only light source? As a newbie, I'm baffled as to how these were taken with a single light source if, in fact, that was the case.

Yep. Single light - either with an octabox or beauty dish!

Great photos.

Using one light can produce great results. If you need fill light you can always just use a reflector on the other side

landerson07 said:
Using one light can produce great results. If you need fill light you can always just use a reflector on the other side

This!!

I used a triflector as I find it easier to position the reflectors - I don't have separate reflector holders!

Just wanted to keep it simple.

S

I'm currently experimenting with a single off camera speedlite and although I'm getting the exposure right I'm a little unsure when it somes to dealing with shadows behind the subject. Is it just as simple as keeping the subject well away from the background?

I'm currently experimenting with a single off camera speedlite and although I'm getting the exposure right I'm a little unsure when it somes to dealing with shadows behind the subject. Is it just as simple as keeping the subject well away from the background?

I'm sure somebody with more experience will come along soon and explain better, but its a number of factors. Position of your light source (in relation to subject and background), whether its a hard or soft light and the difference in light falling onto subject and background.

S

Thanks, Shaheed.

Anyway, I don't want to cause a digression from the main subject : you've got some great shots here!

Thanks, Shaheed.

Anyway, I don't want to cause a digression from the main subject : you've got some great shots here!

No problem and thanks for your kind words. The other thing with the same background, is that it can be white/grey or black depending on those above variables

Single beauty dish, triflector, white vinyl background

Emma test-11 by Sir SR, on Flickr​

S

Last edited:
Is it the lastolite triflector you're using?

That's the one. There are two available, the mark one (from the flash centre) and the mark two. I think the mark one is more versatile from what people have said but both are good!

Hi Shaheed

Really like these, especially the last two. I have been trying to achieve a similar look as your last shot. I'm struggling tbh. Would you mind explaining the setup.

I have kind of reverse engineered the setup, but am confused. Is there a light on the background? Also where is the beauty dish, can only see the tri reflector, reflected in the models eyes. It looks like it could be camera right.

Hi Shaheed

Really like these, especially the last two. I have been trying to achieve a similar look as your last shot. I'm struggling tbh. Would you mind explaining the setup.

I have kind of reverse engineered the setup, but am confused. Is there a light on the background? Also where is the beauty dish, can only see the tri reflector, reflected in the models eyes. It looks like it could be camera right.

Hi, thanks for looking.

This was all with one Lencarta UP 300. I started out using an octa but then changed to a beauty dish. The BD is high up - the rim of the hat is preventing the "12 noon" catchlight. It was slightly (ever so slightly)right of the middle but was aimed slightly into the triflector.

No light on the background - I was keeping it really simple!

I meant to get a shot of the set up but i forgot:bonk: Next time(if she lets me take her pic again;)

S

I like the new B&W but not the last colour one

H

I like the new B&W but not the last colour one

H

Thanks for looking Helen.

Anything in particular not doing it for you with the colour one (I do prefer the B&W myself!)

S

Nice to see something a bit diff from the norm mate, very nice :)

Matt

Cheers Matt

I really wanted to do something very much out of my comfort zone. I found directing very difficult (she's no experience of being a model and I have none of directing one) so it was a bit of a learning curve.

I'd like to try it again but with a lot more planning in my minds eye!

S

I always love your portraits Shaheed, I don't always comment though.

It's nice to see you shooting someone different, I hope it's the first of many (not that your kids aren't adorable).

Cheers Matt

I really wanted to do something very much out of my comfort zone. I found directing very difficult (she's no experience of being a model and I have none of directing one) so it was a bit of a learning curve.

I'd like to try it again but with a lot more planning in my minds eye!

S

Nothing better than being out of your comfort zone for learning, as for tips on poses etc YouTube is you friend :)

I always love your portraits Shaheed, I don't always comment though.

It's nice to see you shooting someone different, I hope it's the first of many (not that your kids aren't adorable).

Cheers Phil, appreciate that (especially from a seasoned pro like yourself).

I really wanted to shoot something out of my comfort zone to make sure I COULD do it (rather than it being my kids who listen to me:LOL::LOL::LOL:, or self portraits!)

Really enjoyed it and got better at conveying what I wanted by the end.

Hopefully I'll get to do a few more adult shoots. Funnily enough, halfway through - I was reminded of one of your posts about great photos beginning before a camera is even picked up - reminding me to have more of a plan rather than a loose plan!

Ta

Shaheed

Nothing better than being out of your comfort zone for learning, as for tips on poses etc YouTube is you friend :)

Do you know, I genuinely never even thought of that :bang::bang::bang:

Thanks for that tip - I'll deffo look beforehand next time!

S

Taking photos is the easy bit, directing models is more difficult. Things that help is have a few poses you like either in your mind or from a magazine or site and use them as a starting point then vary it to suit your models body shape and features.

Like any form of photography its all about shapes and lines that lead the eye around the image.

Try shoulders at different heights, upper half of body 1/4 turn away from the camera, use boobs n bums to create 'S' curves that flow up the image. All of a sudden your image become more dynamic and interesting.

Nice set, technically good but you can tell your model is nervous. First pose (in my opinion) is terrible.

Matt989 said:
Taking photos is the easy bit, directing models is more difficult. Things that help is have a few poses you like either in your mind or from a magazine or site and use them as a starting point then vary it to suit your models body shape and features.

Like any form of photography its all about shapes and lines that lead the eye around the image.

Try shoulders at different heights, upper half of body 1/4 turn away from the camera, use boobs n bums to create 'S' curves that flow up the image. All of a sudden your image become more dynamic and interesting.

Nice set, technically good but you can tell your model is nervous. First pose (in my opinion) is terrible.

I agree that I found the posing bit the hardest. When I snap my kids/friends' kids I normally have a few things in mind, relax them and get them to do various poses. Oddly didn't do this as it was outside of my normal practice (grown up, not completely familiar with/comfortable directing). By the end got more comfy and better at directing her.

I agree the first pose isn't right. Can you tell me why it's terrible and how to improve it?

Ta

S

Back