Something new

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Have been loitering around here for a while but not been brave enough to post any photos yet, so here is one I took last whilst away in the Falklands with a camera kindly donated by father in law. Hope you like, and any advice kindly taken.

A nice study but looks like it would benefit from a little bit of unsharp mask in PP.

Bob

PS....welcome to the forum btw

Thanks for the advice, will have to have a play sometime and see what happens. Glad you liked it, apparently its's a striated cara cara otherwise known as Johnnie Rook & unfortunately quite rare. What I do know is that this particular one was cheeky enough to pinch some biscuits from my bag at my feet!

OK well had a little go at sharpening the image up, just hope I haven't over done it...

Nice composition sharpened effort looks better try tweaking the contrast a touch
Regards
Richard

The second version looks better, Have you cropped the picture much?

If you have this might affected sharpness. Good picture (y)

Hi

Hope you don't mind me having a little play with your picture, I know very little about photoshop but have had a go that I'll happily remove if it offends.
I only had a go because I saw a black line round the beak in your second attempt and I wasn't sure why, hope you don't mind me trying.

Brian:)

BFC6D313D79D4F48B61D2EB5A971E1E3-80.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone, well must give a very big thank you for all of the positive comments and advice.

Brian, have absolutely no problems with people having a play with the picture, it allows me to see the picture after being touched up, and gives me something to aim for in the future. You were right about the black outline of the beak and glad to see it gone in version.

Once again many thanks, and glad you liked. Just got to get trying a little harder with the rest of my pictures both capture and processing.

Hi m8. To me, although it is a bit soft, what stuck me more was that it looked a tad underexposed.
Then, when I studied it more closely, it seemed more like lens flare.
There is no EXIF data retained in the image. It would be interesting to know what hardware was used to take it.

Just had a quick look at the exif info, camera canon eos d60 (old I know), with lens at 300mm, 1/90s, f5.6, ISO 100. Wondering if it may look a little darker with the position of the sun (all the light appears to be on the back of the head). Still new at all this but would that also cause lens flare?

Forgot to mention the image hasn't been cropped, but resized to make longest side 800. Just lucky that it came in really close (within touching distance almost) and got this. Will have to have look through the rest of the pictures see if their are any that show just how close the wildlife will get in the Falklands (got chased by penguins!!)

Nice image and some good edits too(y) Lucky you I would love to visit the Falklands:)

Wondering if it may look a little darker with the position of the sun (all the light appears to be on the back of the head). Still new at all this but would that also cause lens flare?

I wondered about that too. As you state, the light source seems to be to the left, behind the head, out of frame. That got me wondering if the light was particularly harsh and/or the the front element was poorly coated (i.e. old) or something like that. Is it a Canon lens? Prime or Zoom?

It is a canon zoo lens 75-300mm f4-5.6. Not sure other that as was given it with camera by father in law, it does say ultrasonic on it, in line with a checked gold ring. If I remember right though it was in Autumn down there, and quite a bright day, so the light might have been a little harsh in the circumstances.

Back