Critique Sometimes London Can Be A Lonely Place

Name
Tezz
Edit My Images
Yes
one of my favourite genres of photography is street portraiture, so yesterday I wandered along to the Portobello Road Market in London, which is always good for interesting /colourful /flamboyant characters.
On my way home I took this shot at Notting Hill Underground Station. Its not my normal sort of thing, but was hoping to get some feedback, pointers, guidance or anything else you feel :)

London Can Be A Lonely Place
by CanonGirl101, on Flickr

Some technical details:

Canon 5D2
Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM
1/60 at F4. 75mm 320 IS0
Edited in LR5

Last edited:
I like this Terri it's a well spotted moment in time, I'd almost be tempted to throw a little faux tilt shift at it just to excentuate that isolation as it stands I'm almost feeling its a little to contrasty for my tastes

I like this Terri it's a well spotted moment in time, I'd almost be tempted to throw a little faux tilt shift at it just to excentuate that isolation as it stands I'm almost feeling its a little to contrasty for my tastes

Thank you Matt, i am be picking your brains as to how I could use the tilt shift to the best advantage ... as I said its not my "normal" sort of thing so help to receive any feedback :)

Thank you Matt, i am be picking your brains as to how I could use the tilt shift to the best advantage ... as I said its not my "normal" sort of thing so help to receive any feedback :)

I'm only on my iPad at the minute as I'm in a proper slob out mode today but this is kind of what I had in mind

View attachment 6449

Hi Tezz, I like it. I particularly like the grittiness of the image plus the high contrast.

My only criticism (and i could be wrong) is that it appears to be tilting down towards the right hand side. See the line over the arch of the tunnel. It doesn't look level to me but it could just be the converging lines misleading my eye. Otherwise great work.

Ideally I wouldn't have blurred to quite that degree but as mentioned, I'm a slob and on my iPad, certain I could do a better edit if I was on the computer

I would like to see the edit from your computer please Matt when you are not in a slob out mode :)

Hi Tezz, I like it. I particularly like the grittiness of the image plus the high contrast.

My only criticism (and i could be wrong) is that it appears to be tilting down towards the right hand side. See the line over the arch of the tunnel. It doesn't look level to me but it could just be the converging lines misleading my eye. Otherwise great work.

I will look at that in LR again. Thank you for taking the time to feedback

I would like to see the edit from your computer please Matt when you are not in a slob out mode :)

I'll boot it up in a little bit, need to warm up the screen as its due to be calibrated so will do that later this afternoon and the do a proper edit :)

I'll boot it up in a little bit, need to warm up the screen as its due to be calibrated so will do that later this afternoon and the do a proper edit :)

Thank you, would like to see it :)

Really like this, street/building photography is something i must have a go at.
The only thing i'd maybe do is reduce the light in the station itself and lift the shadows in the tunnel to show the depth, (and maybe a slight anti-clockwise rotation) just my opinion but it's very nice as it is :)

Last edited:
Thank you, would like to see it :)

Just for you I've booted myself out of slob mode and done this edit, the difference is massive but it is a lot more along the lines of what I had in mind, as in the orginal as much as I love it as its a great moment I cannot help but feel everything as sharp as it is encourages me to look all round frame distracting me from the main subject...hope that makes sense

12723379374_e9de101415_b.jpg

Done is CS6 with the Iris Blur tool

Really like this, street/building photography is something i must have a go at.
The only thing i'd maybe do is reduce the light in the station itself and lift the shadows in the tunnel to show the depth, (and maybe a slight anti-clockwise rotation) just my opinion but it's very nice as it is :)

Thank you Martyn, will try your edit :)

Just for you I've booted myself out of slob mode and done this edit, the difference is massive but it is a lot more along the lines of what I had in mind, as in the orginal as much as I love it as its a great moment I cannot help but feel everything as sharp as it is encourages me to look all round frame distracting me from the main subject...hope that makes sense

12723379374_e9de101415_b.jpg

Done is CS6 with the Iris Blur tool

Yes, I can see what you are getting at ..Thank you :) Hmm might have a good at this myself ... I use PS CC

Back