Sonos Beam

Edit My Images
Yes
Struggling slightly with our recent Sonos Beam purchase; We only have an old (but I'm happy with it!) TV thats wall mounted and doesn't have the HDMI ARC facility. Its probably about 10 years old. So, I tried to use the include audio - HDMI adapter, but my TV does't have a port for that either it seems! Its a Bush 37 inch TV, Currently, we just push the sound through Airplay 2, but ideally I want it cable connected so we don't have to reconnect it each time we turn on the TV. I've not had any luck yet getting through to Sonos for support, but wondered if anyone here has the same issues and fixed it?

maybe you could post the TV model so we could have a look at the ports available on it?

He’s tried that, you get one in the box.

I would suggest that any workaround would be more hassle than its worth and your options are to change the Beam or change the TV, and if it were me I’d change the TV.
He said audio-hdmi adapter but didn't specify what the audio part was hence me asking. I agree though that if he has tried that and it hasn't worked then the best option is change the tv since it would probably give the same headache with most other soundbars if the old telly doesn't have either hdmi arc or optical out

Thanks for your help guys - I will check the model when I get home. Headache to change the TV as thats a headache to get it off the wall, I didn't realize sounders have moved on so much they don't connect to normal older TVs! Its a full HD one but thats all I know - many thanks for the comments so far!

It will have some sort of audio output but probably your mistake was buying the Beam, Sonos are very much “we do it our way and if you don’t like it, tough”. A bit like Apple...

Many many other sound bars still have conventional audio in connections. That said, the connection will be round the back of the TV so you’ll really need to take it off the wall anyway, and you might find it has a digital output (most things AV have had them for nearly 20 years...).

It will have some sort of audio output but probably your mistake was buying the Beam, Sonos are very much “we do it our way and if you don’t like it, tough”. A bit like Apple...

Many many other sound bars still have conventional audio in connections. That said, the connection will be round the back of the TV so you’ll really need to take it off the wall anyway, and you might find it has a digital output (most things AV have had them for nearly 20 years...).

yep...………… this

you need a decent Sound bar with an optical or HDMI ARC.

but also your TV is complete pap

Thanks for your help guys - I will check the model when I get home. Headache to change the TV as thats a headache to get it off the wall, I didn't realize sounders have moved on so much they don't connect to normal older TVs! Its a full HD one but thats all I know - many thanks for the comments so far!

Most places will install a new tv and remove old for a minor fee if you aren’t confident doing it but it’s very easy especially if you already have the bracket up and it’s well secured. A lot of tvs use the same mounts and you can usually fit a new plate onto your existing wall anchor.

Last edited:
Didn't get chance to check the TV last night, the M6 was a nightmare! However, reason we went for the Beam was that the three Sonos One we got so far are excellent, and we used them for the TV sorrows sound as it was. Adding the Beam added further, deeper sound plus I wanted the wired connectivity rather than having to connect via airplay each time we turn on the TV to watch something. I'll get some pictures of the ports of the TV and defineilty the model number in the hope that you tech guys know a solution. Thanks in advance!

I recently got given a sonos speaker and one of the sonos connect jobbies and I have to say for what they did they were very good, as I wanted to link to my other software etc though it just didn't work and when I looked online it was literally "there way or the highway". I moved the kit on and just chalked it up to experience. sonos stuff is very good for multi room streaming from your phone or internet radio, but not sure about much else

I do t think I can even find the model as it’s right behind the TV! Don’t know if any of the below helps?

The connector that looks like a D at the top is HDMI I don't know about your model but audio might pass out of that port.
Do you have an option on the TV for HDMI ARC?

I think that’s just the third HDMI, as the other two are on the bottom. No, when it’s on the input menu it’s just HDMI 1 to 3

Back