Sony 100-400 GM help, Tripod collar broken, seeking solutions

Can you not just buy a normal knurled clamping knob off amazon. It won't look pretty but it should work assuming the thread in the female socket in the lens is fine. I just tried mine and it appears that the knob is captive and cannot be taken out. That might be why the lens needs disassembled if it is sent in. For all the cost a knurled clamping knob would be I think I would buy one and see if it works. My lens works fine but you can feel it is a fragile design. The other idea I had is to perhaps see if it could be 3d printed so it is solid plastic. If that worked you could get a few spares and make them white plastic so it looked ok

For anyone that's interested here is Sony's reply to this situation after contacting them (which was a bit of nightmare tbh). The foreign call centre just couldn't grasp what I was trying to explain I had to record a video.

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

In regards to your enquiry, please note that the part number for the part number below :

(A-2181-290-A TRIPOD RING ASSY (9145))

Also please note that this part is not available separately from the tripod ring assy and we do not advise to change it yourself as the mount assy needs to be removed first, if you want to change the ring assy. As a result, the lens may be not correctly adjusted and this could result in partial blur.

-------------------------------------------------------

Basically the screw and knob I need (as seen on this image, they don't supply separately so it needs this whole part in the image. Does not look too bad I thought & I follow on an enquiry for a cost: its this simple cylindrical metal housing nothing more nothing less afterall.

View attachment 301473

The quotation for repair was the part @ £536 inc VAT yes thats right a 1/5 the cost of the lens on this metal circle with a blood plastic nob !, 2 hours labour @ £78 p/h because its a GM lens then insured postage on top of that :rolleyes:

That's about £750 to simply replace a plastic f'in nob and a tiny screw !! That's nearly half price of what I bought the lens for. Not really sure this even warrants a response I just wanted to vent some anger. Might just chuck it down the stairs and see if the home insurance will pay out.

Thanks. For someone toying with the idea of an A7R IV and a 100-400 or 200-600 that's a very revealing post. Maybe I will stick with Nikon, after all.

After reading that I’m glad I went with Olympus with there 66 month warranty

I am having the exact issue... wonder if there was a solution for this?
Basically the knob is a cast metal piece and had worn out the "notch" because of over tighten the Tripod Ring... attached are a few pictures to clarify...
Knob 01 is the top side of the cast metal knob
Knob 02 is the bottom side of the cast metal knob
Knob in Retention Screw 03 show how the knob is fitted onto the retention screw but notice knob is missing the additional material to form the notch to actually be able to grab the retention screw.
Knob and Retention Screw 04 just to show the size of the knob relative to the retention screw... You notice how the retention screw has that straight parts where it basically stripped the knob because the screw is metal where the knob is only cast metal. we just really need a replacement knob that had the straight notches intact.
If there is no parts available, we need a 3D printed know replacement of a cast metal of the same.

I'm in the US and the part for the 100-400 GM lens is not available but seems the is the know for the 70-100 GM lens which hopefully can be used as a replacement.
Bottom line is that Sony should have state to not over tighten, or make the knob out of metal not casted in metal material.

Knob 01
Knob 02
Knob in Retention Screw 03
Knob and Retention Screw 04

I am having the exact issue... wonder if there was a solution for this?
Basically the knob is a cast metal piece and had worn out the "notch" because of over tighten the Tripod Ring... attached are a few pictures to clarify...
Knob 01 is the top side of the cast metal knob
Knob 02 is the bottom side of the cast metal knob
Knob in Retention Screw 03 show how the knob is fitted onto the retention screw but notice knob is missing the additional material to form the notch to actually be able to grab the retention screw.
Knob and Retention Screw 04 just to show the size of the knob relative to the retention screw... You notice how the retention screw has that straight parts where it basically stripped the knob because the screw is metal where the knob is only cast metal. we just really need a replacement knob that had the straight notches intact.
If there is no parts available, we need a 3D printed know replacement of a cast metal of the same.

I'm in the US and the part for the 100-400 GM lens is not available but seems the is the know for the 70-100 GM lens which hopefully can be used as a replacement.
Bottom line is that Sony should have state to not over tighten, or make the knob out of metal not casted in metal material.

Knob 01
Knob 02
Knob in Retention Screw 03
Knob and Retention Screw 04
" ... seems the is the know for the ... " Could you translate that into English please?

Sorry for the typo... meant to say:

I'm in the US and the part for the 100-400 GM lens is not available but seems there is the knob for the 70-100 GM lens which hopefully can be used as a replacement.

Sorry for the typo... meant to say:

I'm in the US and the part for the 100-400 GM lens is not available but seems there is the knob for the 70-100 GM lens which hopefully can be used as a replacement.
Thanks, makes sense now!

Back