Sony 27-70 FE f3.5-5.6

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Got one of these as a kit lens with my A7ii and I haven't seen much comment about it. Any thoughts on this lens? One person suggested that I upgrade to the 24-70 Zeiss but as I mainly do prints, and no larger that A3, I'm not sure that I would see much benefit. The cost of such an upgrade would be considerable... new they run in at about £900 and used about half that.
Pleased to hear.
Rob

My daughter had the 28-70 kit lens and seemed to get decent results. For a kit lens it seems to be fairly good.

The Zeiss 24-70 f/4 has a pretty poor rep. A better choice might be the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 which gets rave reviews and can be bought grey import new for £640 if you feel the need to upgrade.

The 28-70mm f3.5-5.6? Yes?

I got one when I bought my A7 but have only used it a few times as I mostly use primes but IMO it's a nice standard range variable aperture zoom and I really find it hard to criticise it. It's quite compact, weighs not a lot and IMO gives acceptable image quality from wide open. As a standard range kit lens I really can't realistically ask or expect any more of it.

I've read a few reviews which praise the image quality the 24-70mm f4 gives but one criticism I've read several times is that it doesn't leave the 28-70mm far enough behind.

Given my amateur status (and the state of my savings account!) shelling out on a new lens would be a huge commitment and the responses shown above have persuaded me that the Zeiss 24-70 doesn't have enough extra 'zing' to warrant spending the extra cash.

Sincere thanks.

Rob

Back