Sony 50mm f1.8 or the Sony 35mm f1.8

Name
Dylan
Edit My Images
Yes
Dear all,

I have the A7c with the 28-60 , 90mm Macro and Samyang 35mm f2.8. The camera was bought for the sole purpose of being light and portable, hence why I went with the 28-60mm as I wanted something with a bit of a zoom which was light and compact.

I find the Samyang hunts a lot in low light and towards the edges of the frame. Image quality wide open isn't brilliant, however it was a cheap lens. I have vouchers to spend in John Lewis, hence me looking to see what lenses they have. I loved my Canon 24mm f2.8 (crop lens) but wished it was a little wider, hence me thinking is the 35 going to be wide enough. I have been using my Canon 50mm with the Sony via an adapter and whilst its sharp from around f2.2 its application is restricted to photos, as it will not auto focus in video.

Anyone had both lenses. What's your opinion? Is it worth me buying the 50mm and saving the money I would have spent on the 35mm to buy the Tamron / Samyang other versions?

The Sony 50mm f1.8 is AFAIK one of the lenses that has the cheaper focus system but having said that it may be ok on a newer body. I have the Sony 35mm f1.8 and I can't really criticise it too much, the bokeh can be a bit ho-hum for a 35mm f1.8 but it is sharp across the frame and fast to focus even on my ancient A7 and the close focus ability comes in handy.

I'd deffo hold off on that 50mm f1.8 until you get some 1st hand feedback on how it performs on a newer camera.

I have an A7III and tried a 50 f1.8 bought discounted from Amazon - even at £135 I send it back, because the AF was so unreliable. If you find the camera hunts with the Sammy 35 f2.8 then you'll likely find it hunts a lot more with that Sony. I would suggest the 35 f1.8 will be a lot better.

To update this thread... I bought the 50, however, I am a little undecided if I am going to keep or send it back. At f1.8, its not sharp, however it is sharper than my old Canon. It is slightly sharper than the Canon up to around f3.2, and then the canon is just better.

I haven't had a good chance to try it out in good light as I have had a lot on with work. Hopefully I can try it out tomorrow and make a decision if I am going to keep it or send it back.

To update this thread... I bought the 50, however, I am a little undecided if I am going to keep or send it back. At f1.8, its not sharp, however it is sharper than my old Canon. It is slightly sharper than the Canon up to around f3.2, and then the canon is just better.

I haven't had a good chance to try it out in good light as I have had a lot on with work. Hopefully I can try it out tomorrow and make a decision if I am going to keep it or send it back.
I don't understand why Sony haven't updated their 50mm f1.8, it's arguably their weakest lens in their lineup. The 35mm f1.8 is a very good lens, I've been very impressed with mine.

If you want a light 'budget' prime then the Samyang 45mm f1.8 is a great little lens and does not appear to be subject to Samyang's notorious QC issues.

The Zeiss 55mm at f/1.8 is a brilliant little lens. I was able to capture some long exposure photographs semi-hand-held (leaning against a lamp post) with it. It offers lovely bokeh, a little more expensive though.
This lens seems to divide opinions, some (including myself) find it a little bit clinical but others love it (y)

As another 55 owner, it's nicely sharp, but not exciting and is very neutral. I much prefer the Samyang 50 f1.4 for bokeh.

When I first got my Sony 55mm f1.8 I was shocked the sharpness across the frame from wide open and the lack of obvious issues. There are issues, it's 55mm not 50mm and there's ca in some circumstances but generally I think it is a very good lens especially considering the bulk, weight and cost.

Back