Sony A200 for sport?

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm completely new to any kind of photography and am looking at probably buying the a200 to get me started.

Basically I'd like to be able to use it for all kinds of photography but especially sport (mainly rugby). My concern is that the lens which comes with it won't let me take any close up pics (18-70mm).

Will this be a problem as I don't have the money to invest in any more lenses! Also does anyone know if it's likely to drop in price any time soon as from my research it seems they have gone up quite a bit recently.

Thanks for any help! :)

the point of the kit lens is to be a basic all rounder until you find your niche and realise that you will need better kit (no not gear lust) at the moment ive had my a300 for a good six months and i have the 18-70mm and 55-200mm they are pretty ok lenses. the autofocus is slow and annoying and the focusing sound it makes is just as bad, though i have had some pretty impressive pics from it. check my website for some pics http://www.dhphotography.webs.com

Buy a decent condition second hand one (£200), and get yourself a zoom lens. Either a tamron 55-200mm (£70) or a sigma 70-300 (£90). All prices are approx second hand, have a look on the for sale threads on the talkphotography forums, might be a bargain to be had!!

Thanks for the help.

How close will the 18-70 mm lens get me to the action, I'm guessing it won't be very close, looking at the size of the lenses on photographers that you see at games.

Sadly can't look at the classifieds on here yet because you need to have been a member for a month and had 100 posts!

Some nice flower pics by the way ;)

Thanks for the help.

How close will the 18-70 mm lens get me to the action

Depends how far away the action is!!:D

A 300mm lens will get you pretty close to most things. Due to the crop APS-C sensor on a Sony a200, a 300mm lens is actually the equivelent to a 450mm on a 35mm film camera!

It sounds more complicated than it is, but a 300mm lens on a Sony a200 should be plenty! The kit lens' 70mm limit isn't very long at all for sports photography.

If you can stretch your budget to about 430 quid this should do the job.
Sony a200 with 18-70mm kit lens and 75-300mm zoom lens.

Paul

Yes you can. You can't sell anything and you can't post a wanted ad, but you can buy things!

Ah so you can sorry!

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'm leaning towards buying a cheapish used one off here and then getting the longer lens for the sport photography.

Has anyone bought a camera off here? i'm a bit wary about transferring a large sum of money and then having no protection if it goes wrong or doesn't turn up!

Ah so you can sorry!

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'm leaning towards buying a cheapish used one off here and then getting the longer lens for the sport photography.

Has anyone bought a camera off here? i'm a bit wary about transferring a large sum of money and then having no protection if it goes wrong or doesn't turn up!

I'd be wary of people with little or no feedback (says me!) but it's as safe as buying on ebay! Paypal protection on ebay means bugger all to be honest!

Have a look at a sellers feedback, how long they have been a member and there's nothing wrong with asking to speak to someone on the phone before you send them any money!!

Apart from collecting in person and paying cash, there is always a small risk of things not working out, however these forums are pretty good and the 100 post, 1 month rule is there to weed out some of the rouge traders.......

Good luck!!

Back