Sony a200 kit lens replacement

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Hey everyone,

I`ve been using my Alpha for over a year now and my pictures are improving but I cant help but think upgrading the kit glass would help me improve further.

CUrrently I have a minolta 50mm 1.7, tamron 55-200 di2 and the kit lens.

I have a budget of 200 quid so what would be a good replacement at the lower range .

I will be watching this thread with interest as I also have a budget of around 200 notes, have been using my a230 since christmas and am looking for a new lens. I currently use the 2 kit lenses that come with the camera, 18-55 and 55-200.

I take pics of anything from the car to snaps of the bairns (which makes me think I should get a 50), but gonna try and start getting out walking for landscape and nature photography and maybe the odd visit to racing tracks and airshows and the like, so a very mixed bag.

Looking at this but if my money could be better spent elsewhere any advise would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/29451/show.html

If you can stretch your budget a bit, John Lewis currently have the Sony 16-105 at £339 and Jessops the Zeiss 16-80 for £399. Lots of reviews of both in the dyxum lens database and they both seem well regarded. I have the 16-80 and it is good, if not as robustly built as the other Zeiss lenses.

you could always go for the newer 18-55mm kit lens which I here is a million times better than the 18-70mm, or alternatively look for a second hand Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 (or 4.5) and for higher up the end you could opt for the Zeiss 16-80mm for £399 at Jessops.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, John Lewis currently have the Sony 16-105 at £339.

Do you have a link for that? Can't find it on their site.:)

For £200, the choices are a Sony 18-55, a used Minolta, or maybe a used Tamron if you're lucky.

I might be selling my sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG with a hoya 82mm skylight filter on for 300quid as I want a sony 50mm f1.4 or sigma 30mm f1.4, would keep it but don't have that much funds. the lens is fantastic appart from being heavy.

Do you have a link for that? Can't find it on their site.:)

Nope, but there was on in the Bristol branch on Thursday and one in the Oxford street branch on Saturday, both as special offers, so it seems to be a national thing (based on a sample of the two stores I've visited recently).

Back