Sony A300 Lens Help

It's a very capable lens and great value too. I got one as part of the twin lens kit with my A100 a couple of years ago and it gave me very good service. Also have a look at the Sigma equivalent, the APO version is highly recommended.

Oh, and welcome to TP!

Thankyou for your reply, yeah its the price that drew me toward it! Seems to be around £140 and should hopefully keep me going for a while, as an aside would I have been better with the 14MP A350?

I think the only difference between the two is the MP count (Although I may be wrong) and if that's the case I would say there is no difference unless you planning to print billboard size!

Hehe well I'm not planning to print anything that big!
My concern is not really camera related but retailer related, I have ordered from Pixmania as aside from Jessops noone has the A300, I'm a bit concerned about it being a grey import and I'm thinking I'd rather have a proper UK A350 than an import.

if you buy from pixmania, still uk product

i just picked an a300 and didn't go for a350, reasons being, save on the cost of the body to spend on lenses etc. the 14MP on a350 uses same sensor size as the 10MP, so i think this may cause the higher noise at certain settings on the a350 and not as many frames per second

good luck ;-)

i decided to get body only and not get the kit lens, and so bought the sony 18-200 instead for a general walkabout lens. people say it's not as sharp with the wide zoom range, but it's brill for me.

Another lens you can consider is Tamron 70-300 , you can get new under 100 and is a very good lens..

cheers

Aj

Thanks for the advice folks, I've got £100 of Currys vouchers and I've seen the Sony Lens there so I might plump for it.
I tried to avoid the A350 as I had heard there were issues with noise on it, I really liked the A200 but I felt Live View would be a nice addition.
Can anyone reccomend a decent camera bag that would fit the A300?
Is there anything else I would need?

Hehe well I'm not planning to print anything that big!
My concern is not really camera related but retailer related, I have ordered from Pixmania as aside from Jessops noone has the A300, I'm a bit concerned about it being a grey import and I'm thinking I'd rather have a proper UK A350 than an import.

I think Jessops are/were the only UK retailer that sells the A300. Everyone else has the A200, A350 and above.

Thanks for the advice folks, I've got £100 of Currys vouchers and I've seen the Sony Lens there so I might plump for it.
I tried to avoid the A350 as I had heard there were issues with noise on it, I really liked the A200 but I felt Live View would be a nice addition.
Can anyone reccomend a decent camera bag that would fit the A300?
Is there anything else I would need?

i've taken some shots recently at ISO's 800 and 1600,and although the noise is quite noticeable,i don't think it's much worse than any camera in this class,but like whats been said...unless you intend to print off poster size images,14MP is not really needed.a good camera bag is the lowepro minitrekker AW.it's a rucksack style bag with lots of room for your kit,and with room as you get more kit(as you will definately do).i think what you have is enough to get you going,and as you decide where your photography is taking you,you can get what you need accordingly....don't forget a CF card though,as you will need one to start taking pictures (y)

Ordered a Sandisk Extreme III CF Card from Play for £14.99 certainly better than the £60 Currys wanted!
I think I will go for the 75-300mm, I've seen some people suggesting the other Sony lens but at £400+ its a bit dear!

I will take a look at the bag, are there any smaller bags that would just take the camera? I've seen the Sony ones but they seem expensive just because they say Sony on them!
What sort of cleaning kit would I need?

I think the A350 is a little more susceptible to noise than the A350 purely because the A350 has an extra 4 million pixels crammed into the same sensor, but the difference is probably quite small.

Stan, I'm surprised at you. You haven't tried to persuade Chris to buy the 70-200 f2.8 G SSM yet! :LOL:

Hehe, I will get the cheaper Sony one! Eventually I may try for the expensive one but just now its a bit too far!!
Well my camera should be with me next week, and I will order my second lens once I get paid, my partner has offered to buy me a bag and I will probably get a second CF card for a backup,

Can anyone reccomend a good book to help me get to grips with my A300 and DSLR photography in general?
As I'm coming from limited use of a Panasonic FZ7, and recently all I've been using for photos is my Sony Ericsson C905!

Get Gary friedmans book on A 300 ,though it is a e book it is very good!!!

*** also recommend understanding exposure Bryan Peterson!!!

cheers

ajex

Thanks again for the help folks, I'm glad I've gone for the A300, saved some pennies toward a second lens and if I get as into it as I hope I will I would likely be upgrading the body in the not too distant future anyway.

i think you'll probably build on the lens and accessories collection before a new body

i've just posted two pics of the range from my sony 18-200 on a topic not long ago

Get Gary friedmans book on A 300 ,though it is a e book it is very good!!!

*** also recommend understanding exposure Bryan Peterson!!!

cheers

ajex

never bought an ebook. i assume you need to download a file, like a pdf?
can you then print it off and is it in colour?

I bought the A300 from Jessops, He said there is no difference at all apart from the MP. He send its spending money for something you probably wont see.

The lad sold me the Tamron 70-300mm Lens as part of the kit. I have been playing a little for the first time today. I posted some of my first pic's earlier. They are not super but still learning how to use it!

the 75-300 is a good lens, but im gona be upgrading mine to get the 70-200G :D also if ** interested in a 1st carry bag, i have a sony one i used before picking up a lowepro fastpack, its mint!:LOL:

Yep , but its going to cost you a lot in terms of cartridge esp the colour ones...

In that case you can order a hard copy but I guesss it is in B/w not sure as I ordered E book which is indeed pdf...

I read on my laptop with the camera on hand...

cheers

Ajex

never bought an ebook. i assume you need to download a file, like a pdf?
can you then print it off and is it in colour?

the 75-300 is a good lens, but im gona be upgrading mine to get the 70-200G :D also if ** interested in a 1st carry bag, i have a sony one i used before picking up a lowepro fastpack, its mint!:LOL:

I'm thinking about going for the Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW as I've seen it for £36.00 rather than the £80 it seems to be in Jessops!

Back