Sony A6000 best place to buy

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone i just joined recently and been looking for my first real camera, i have been watching a lot of videos and tutorials etc on mirrorless and really like the look of the sony A600.

I am wanting to photograph landscapes and family mainly. I have been looking at prices and some that are used arnt much different in price.

Is there any recomendations for sites and places to buy and is it worth buying 2nd hand, also any recommendations for a all round lens ?

I am brand new to this so still a lot to learn bit seem to be good recommendations on the sigma lens.

I have always been a happy snapper woth phone etc so hoping if i get into it more i will purchase a better camera in future. Hopefully the lens i get will fot future cameras.

Any help would be very helpful
Thanks dean

A6000 is ancient now and discontinued maybe have a look at the A6100 or A6400.

If you don’t mind grey import E-infinity and Panamoz will likely be the cheapest option.

If you don’t mind grey import E-infinity and Panamoz will likely be the cheapest option.
The main reason for the a6000 was price as can get for a good price and not wanting to spend a fortune on first camera and still seems to get good reviews, will certainly have a look thanks

Surprisingly Sony haven't discontinued the A6000 yet, despite there being a host of updated models in the series.

Best place to quickly find decent prices is Camera Price Buster.

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Sony/Sony-E-Mount-Cameras
At 379 its practically same price as used [emoji28]. Would you reccomend ebay at all ? I am always a bit worried buying things like this on there and laptops etc.

Or any other used sites you recommend.

What is the best all round lens ? Sigma ?

Thanks dean

At 379 its practically same price as used [emoji28]. Would you reccomend ebay at all ? I am always a bit worried buying things like this on there and laptops etc.

Or any other used sites you recommend.

What is the best all round lens ? Sigma ?

Thanks dean
Personally when something is this sort of price, I tend to buy new, unless I am sure of the seller - you simply don't save enough to warrant the risk.

I have the 16-50 and 55-210 kit lenses, as well as the 50 f/1.8 OSS and 35 f/1.8 OSS primes with my A6000, which is my 'travel' camera, for when I'm out with family on trips and holidays (which hasn't been often over the past 12 months!).

As an all round lens, the humble 16-50 isn't bad (get it bundled, don't pay the full price!) and has the advantage of being very small and light, so the camera fits in a coat pocket with the lens on when powered down. Looking at current bundle prices you're paying about £90 for it, and if you can afford the 2 lens kit you can add the 55-210 for an extra £100.

Like the 16-50, the 55-210 is an OK lens, rather than something excellent, but you have to pay a lot more to get a better telephoto, so it's a nice addition if you occasionally want more reach.

The Sigma primes are well regarded, but I personally opted for the 2 Sony primes with OSS, as the A6000 doesn't have stabilisation - so when I'm using a prime for low light, the gain in exposure time from OSS exceeds the gain from the slightly wider aperture of the Sigmas.

Last edited:
Hi everyone i just joined recently and been looking for my first real camera, i have been watching a lot of videos and tutorials etc on mirrorless and really like the look of the sony A600.

I am wanting to photograph landscapes and family mainly. I have been looking at prices and some that are used arnt much different in price.

Is there any recomendations for sites and places to buy and is it worth buying 2nd hand, also any recommendations for a all round lens ?

I am brand new to this so still a lot to learn bit seem to be good recommendations on the sigma lens.

I have always been a happy snapper woth phone etc so hoping if i get into it more i will purchase a better camera in future. Hopefully the lens i get will fot future cameras.

Any help would be very helpful
Thanks dean

I had the A6000 for a while and I got some very memorable photos from it. The autofocus is decent but not as quick as I thought, for slow moving family no problem, but fast children and dogs then it can be a little more of a challenge. For an extra £100 odd you can get the A7 or A7R used which takes you into full frame glory.

Pair whatever camera you get with a 50mm f/1.8 which is inexpensive but a great lens and you are good to go.

Check out https://www.usedlens.co.uk for used stuff.

I had the A6000 for a while and I got some very memorable photos from it. The autofocus is decent but not as quick as I thought, for slow moving family no problem, but fast children and dogs then it can be a little more of a challenge. For an extra £100 odd you can get the A7 or A7R used which takes you into full frame glory.

Pair whatever camera you get with a 50mm f/1.8 which is inexpensive but a great lens and you are good to go.

Check out https://www.usedlens.co.uk for used stuff.

I have the original A7 and I'm mostly happy but be aware that it's not the fastest focusing camera and the FF 50mm f1.8 has by some accounts iffy focusing on earlier cameras.

PS.
50mm makes little sense to me on APS-C.

Last edited:
Deano.

As a starter camera for shooting landscapes/family, the A6000 is perfectly suitable until you decide to upgrade.
For a one lens option, I would suggest the *Sony E 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 OSS (electrical zoom) as stated above or a **Sony E 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS lens (manual zoom).
They are not the best lenses, however they will provide you with a variable focal length of *24-75mm or **27-82.5mm when paired with the A6000 and again are perfectly acceptable until you decide to upgrade.

Last edited:
I have the original A7 and I'm mostly happy but be aware that it's not the fastest focusing camera and the FF 50mm f1.8 has by some accounts iffy focusing on earlier cameras.

PS.
50mm makes little sense to me on APS-C.

I was thinking the E 50mm f1.8 OSS rather than the FE. I've never had it but it seems to have good reviews?

I was thinking the E 50mm f1.8 OSS rather than the FE. I've never had it but it seems to have good reviews?
I'm happy with mine on my A6000.
I use it as a low light portrait lens, it's about a 75 equivalent, so just a bit wider than an 85 on FF, which is a length I like a lot.

Personally when something is this sort of price, I tend to buy new, unless I am sure of the seller - you simply don't save enough to warrant the risk.

I have the 16-50 and 55-210 kit lenses, as well as the 50 f/1.8 OSS and 35 f/1.8 OSS primes with my A6000, which is my 'travel' camera, for when I'm out with family on trips and holidays (which hasn't been often over the past 12 months!).

As an all round lens, the humble 16-50 isn't bad (get it bundled, don't pay the full price!) and has the advantage of being very small and light, so the camera fits in a coat pocket with the lens on when powered down. Looking at current bundle prices you're paying about £90 for it, and if you can afford the 2 lens kit you can add the 55-210 for an extra £100.

Like the 16-50, the 55-210 is an OK lens, rather than something excellent, but you have to pay a lot more to get a better telephoto, so it's a nice addition if you occasionally want more reach.

The Sigma primes are well regarded, but I personally opted for the 2 Sony primes with OSS, as the A6000 doesn't have stabilisation - so when I'm using a prime for low light, the gain in exposure time from OSS exceeds the gain from the slightly wider aperture of the Sigmas.
Very helpful, i think the 2 sony lenses are a good shout as i am brand new to this so hopefully will do me for a bit. I am still so new jeed to find out what different lens do etc but i think a kit will be best especially if only 90 extra etc.

Still just need to find best deal that site listed above is very cheap but not sure if do kits.

Dean

Deano.

As a starter camera for shooting landscapes/family, the A6000 is perfectly suitable until you decide to upgrade.
For a one lens option, I would suggest the *Sony E 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 OSS (electrical zoom) as stated above or a **Sony E 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS lens (manual zoom).
They are not the best lenses, however they will provide you with a variable focal length of *24-75mm or **27-82.5mm when paired with the A6000 and again are perfectly acceptable until you decide to upgrade.
Yeah thats all its for mate landscapes and family pictures etc but would love to start trying to take more professional lookomg picture's, but seems a great starter camera.

Thanks for that seems best price will wait till back in stock, does the kit lens have zoom ability aswel ?

What else will i require just a sd card and is it better to get larger one rather than a micro sd in adapter .

Thanks again
The kit lens is a zoom....16-50mm
I'd get a full size card.

Thanks for that seems best price will wait till back in stock, does the kit lens have zoom ability as well ?
The basic kit lens is a 16-50 zoom lens.
On E-Infinity that kit is £439.
Best price for UK stock is £469 (https://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/pd/sony-a6000-camera-with-16-50mm-power-zoom-lens_ilce6000lb)

There is also a 2 lens kit, with the 16-50 and 55-210.
Best price is £569 (https://www.cameraworld.co.uk/produ...mm-oss-55-210mm-oss-twin-lens-kit-205283.html)

NB: These are the best prices I could find quickly, there may be cheaper options if you search more.

Last edited:

An incorrect assumption. I recently bought a new Zoom lens for my A6600 from WEX and the price was about £80 cheaper than Panomoz and only £27 more expensive than E-infinity. I would not choose to buy a grey import anyway. I can certainly recommend the A6600. Though I bought it in November, I have not been able to use it much due to Lockdown but hopefully will be able to make good use of it during the next few weeks.

Dave

An incorrect assumption. I recently bought a new Zoom lens for my A6600 from WEX and the price was about £80 cheaper than Panomoz and only £27 more expensive than E-infinity. I would not choose to buy a grey import anyway. I can certainly recommend the A6600. Though I bought it in November, I have not been able to use it much due to Lockdown but hopefully will be able to make good use of it during the next few weeks.

Dave

Can you not read?

I said likely.

Surprised no one has mentioned the usual secondhand dealers.
Wex have an A6000 for £308, https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-a6000-digital-camera-body-silver-used-1772454/
MPB have loads of A6000 cameras from £290ish. https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...sed-sony-mirrorless-cameras/sony-alpha-a6000/

The advantage of these dealers is that they give a guarantee (often 6-12months) which is more than you get from ebay.
The slightly disadvantage is you then need to choose a lens or two to go with it.

On the side subject of grey import pricing, I was just looking at the Canon RF 50mm f1.8 and saw that Panamoz had it for £350 vs a UK price of £219. As f/2.8 said "likely" cheaper, not always.

Surprised no one has mentioned the usual secondhand dealers.
The problem with s/h from dealers on 'entry level' is that you don't actually save that much.
Add the £81 to the £308 fro a 16-50, for example, and you're paying £389 for s/h vs £419 for new (grey) - both have 12 months warranty.

I save on currys so could get the a6000 with 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 lens for around £445 so think will go for that offer. Looking forward to reading more advice etc, love black and whites so will need a program etc on laptop, think i have photoshop somewhere.

Thanks for all help and advice
Dean

I save on currys so could get the a6000 with 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 lens for around £445 so think will go for that offer. Looking forward to reading more advice etc, love black and whites so will need a program etc on laptop, think i have photoshop somewhere.

Thanks for all help and advice
Dean
With that sort of discount you can't go wrong.
You can set the camera to shoot in Black and White, if that's what you want.
I'd advise getting a spare battery or 2, and a dedicated battery charger - you can pick up a bundle for £20-30 on Amazon if you're happy to go 3rd party.

Ordered today and arriveing tomorro, big expense for me so now need to learn how to use it [emoji15] watching you tube etc but any online courses etc that a worth a look ? As want to really get the best out of it and take really good pictures.

Thanks dean

Different people learn things in different ways, so you're likely to get a bunch of different suggestions.
For me, it was a combination of a few books ('Understanding Exposure' is often suggested as a good place to start), plus a Beginners Photography day (once we are allowed out again, of course), plus lots of hints and tips from various photography forums (be prepared to accept that some on the internet don't understand that 'CC' has the word 'constructive' in it, and concentrate on the 'criticism' part).

Different people learn things in different ways, so you're likely to get a bunch of different suggestions.
For me, it was a combination of a few books ('Understanding Exposure' is often suggested as a good place to start), plus a Beginners Photography day (once we are allowed out again, of course), plus lots of hints and tips from various photography forums (be prepared to accept that some on the internet don't understand that 'CC' has the word 'constructive' in it, and concentrate on the 'criticism' part).
[emoji1787] yes i know some people struggle with criticism, yeah i will watch youtube and hopefully i can get on a course as you say once possible. Are these popular and often on ?

Any online courses you recommend?

Thanks dean

[emoji1787] yes i know some people struggle with criticism, yeah i will watch youtube and hopefully i can get on a course as you say once possible. Are these popular and often on ?

Any online courses you recommend?

Thanks dean
I've not done any online courses, there were a lot less of them when I was starting (2008), and by the time I did look at a couple I knew enough to spot some times where the 'instructors' were stating opinions as facts, which put me off.
I was lucky that a local National Trust site got a couple of local photographers to run a Photo Day, which I went on out of curiosity, and found I got on really well with them, and subsequently went on a number of additional courses run by one of them.

Back