Sony A6000, is it good please?

Name
Aura
Edit My Images
Yes
I love my Nikon D5300 but I also have a compact which I use for when I don't want to carry a bulky SLR around. I would like to upgrade it to a Sony A6000.

Can you tell me if this is a good camera please?

Used to own one and it's very good especially for the price. But depends on what you plan on shooting and what kind of lenses you are after?

I use an A6000 as my 'travel' camera - when on days out with the family, general holidays, etc.
I have the two kit lenses (16-50, 55-210) and the 50 f/1.8 OSS, plus a Neewer NW-320 flash (which is the same as the Meike MK-320).
That lot fits in a small shoulder bag (with spare batteries and SD cards), or if I want to carry a bit more I have a small camera backpack (50% camera gear, 50% general gear) which allows me to add other bits and pieces such as a ND / Grad filter kit, charger, etc.
The 16-50 is a bit prone to flare, particularly as it does not have a hood (I have a small 3rd party one which screws into the filter thread and improves things, but care is still needed), but both the kit lenses are fine for general use, and can produce superb images when stopped down.
The big benefit of the 16-50 is how small it is when powered down - I can put the A6000 with 16-50 mounted in my jacket pocket, making it great for just wandering about with.
In terms of ISO, images are fine up to 1600, and usable to 3200.
AF is fairly good, but you will suffer from lag in the EVF at high FPS, making tracking BIF tricky, for example.
Would I recommend one - YES, you get a lot of camera for the money, in a package that's easy to take wherever you go.

Yes, it is a good camera......................................................depending on what you want from it
For general photography, vacation, nature/macro/landscapes, family, portraits its great and in my eyes better than the nikon D5200 and D3200 series
For wildlife and fast paced action maybe not so much, perhaps more due to lack of proper lenses.
Its a pity Sony doesnt support their APSC line more, as is the most interesting lenses (to me) are from sigma and samyang
I have the kitzoom, 12mm samyang, 24mm sony and 60mm sigma for my camerawhich makes for a light, compact and really good kit...... again, for me

I have one as a travel camera when I don't need to carry the lump of a D850 around. I really enjoy using it and it's capable of producing some great results, I found the 11FPS really useful when shooting humming birds in America last year and I've recently swapped my 16-50/55-210 combo for the 18-135 which is very good, especially paired with the 10-18.. for the money it takes some beating I'd say

Simon

Last edited:
Thanks for your replie's.

I have one as a travel camera when I don't need to carry the lump of a D850 around
That's along the lines of what I was thinking of.

Does it produce richer colours?

I had one and it's a very good camera, ticks most boxes well. The only thing it struggled with was AF-C but I was being rather demanding and perhaps expecting too much.

Not richer but colours are nice enough, it's not really fair to compare the 2 as I'm mainly using expensive prime lenses on the D850 as opposed to "travel zooms" on the Sony... lens choice can have an impact on the colour/contrast of your photos

as mentioned above it can be lens dependant.

You can post process and fix things otherwise.
If you are really after good results straight out of the camera I would suggest a fuji.

Closest Fuji equivalent I can think of is the X-E2s or the newer X-E3, but that is more akin to the newer Sony versions of the A6000

I think the XT-2 is actually the better value, you can get them used in excellent condition now for about £600, which frees up £300 vs an XT30 for a lens. XT-2 has better build quality, it's weather sealed, more of a pro-feel camera all-round and is more comfortable if you like a bit of grip on your cameras. The battery grip for it has also fallen in price a lot, there is no battery grip for the XT20/30. An up to date firmware XT-2 is not lacking much in comparison to an XT-3, only in video and AF speed. The T2 actually performs better in low light and handles higher ISO slightly better.

Last edited:
I've got one and in love it. My research at the time suggested it was as good IQ and ISO performance as I was going to get at the price (this was a year or so ago). Controls are very easy to navigate.

Only issue I find is the lens choice and prices. I've got the kit lens, the 55-210 and a load of adapted manual lenses which are fun, but my favourite is my 35mm 1.8. Noticeable step up in quality.

Oh.. And battery... Have a few spare. Also, you can't plug it in whilst using it.

Last edited:
Back