Sony A6000 lens help

Glen

Uncle Glen
Name
Glen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks

I've finally dipped my toe back into photography buying a Sony A6000, after selling my Canon 7d and Sigma 10-20, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 24-105L, Sigma 70-300 lenses around 3 years ago.

Do any of you have some good recommendations for various other lenses for the A6000 please? I've had a look round on here and other places but there seems to be a minefield of choices and I wondered what you guys thought?

Many thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Depends on what your are photographing I guess. The Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC DN C Lens is very good, especially considering the price and it's focuses reasonably quickly. Lovely image quality from it and very versatile in lower light situations.

I felt a little disappointed with the auto focus speed of the A6000 after all the claims being made, but I think this is to do with the auto focus setup in the lenses. The dual motor 70-200mm is supposed to be very quick to focus but the price seems to go up rather than down! And of course the very expensive Master lenses I'm sure will focus very fast.

Last edited:
The AF speed has to be viewed as what the body and a specific lens as a combination are capable of.

I've got an A6000 as my 'travel' camera, and have a set of 3 lenses accordingly.

The 16-50 kit lens - It's OK, capable of decent results as a walkabout, but there's no lens hood, so flare is a problem (I've got a 3rd party hood which fits the filter thread, and helps a bit). It's main advantage is that it's cheap (when bundled with the camera), and small enough that when powered off the camera will still fit in a coat pocket. To get a significant improvement in quality (in a zoom) you have to move up significantly in price, size and weight.
The 50 f/1.8 OSS - Great little lens, sharp, fast but still fairly compact.
The 55-210 Kit zoom - A good companion lens to the 16-50 - together you have a decent range of focal lengths while still staying small and lightweight.

Would I want the 16-50 and 55-210 as my 'main' walkabout and tele-zoom's ?
No, but then I've got 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8's for when I'm using my FF DSLR.

But when I want to travel light (or need to, such as on a typical family day out) they are easily 'good enough' and don't break the bank.

I just bought a Sony cameras, the lenses on my list are the Sigma 30MM f1.4 or the Sony 35MM f1.8, 55-210 as it’s fairly low cost and telephoto isn’t a massive part of what I do, Samyang 12MM as I would like to have a stab at Astro.

All depends on what you want to photograph and your budget really.

Cheaper good lenses that I own for my A6000.

Sigma 60mm
Sigma 19mm
Sony 50mm
Sony 30mm macro lens
Sony 55-210mm Zoom lens
If you spend a bit more Sony 35mm

Most bases covered in that lot

Great, thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it.

Sony lenses seem rather expensive, but having said that I have the Zeiss 16-70 as my regular lens and it's superb.

As a wide-angle fan, I also have the Sony 10-18mm F4.
I also have a rarely used 55-210 tele zoom, which I bought second-hand for £140.

Back