Sony A7 MkI £550 at cameraworld

The appalling battery life lets these down though :(

Les

The battery life on most mirrorless cameras is pretty poor.
Personally I'd be more concerned with the potential for fractured sensor mounts.

Personally I'd be more concerned with the potential for fractured sensor mounts.
I wouldn't be worried about battery life, or this. It won't affect the A7 as it doesn't have ibis.
Plus it only affected 1.6% and that was on rental cameras that you don't know how people were handling. Not everyone treats rental equipment like their own.

I don't think that applies because it's related to the IBIS isn't it?

I did only skim through it....
I wouldn't be worried about battery life, or this. It won't affect the A7 as it doesn't have ibis.
Plus it only affected 1.6% and that was on rental cameras that you don't know how people were handling. Not everyone treats rental equipment like their own.
Just shows how much I know about the Sony A7!
I assumed (wrongly) that they all had IBIS.
Abused or not, I'd still be concerned it could happen to me, but I'm unlikely to ever get an A7.
Whatever camera I'm shooting with, I always carry at least one spare battery with me.

The battery life on most mirrorless cameras is pretty poor.

How on earth did we ever survive with 36 exposures on 35mm?

And these modern pesky batteries are so large and heavy and take an age to swap - way more complicated than film.

;)

We used to think before we pressed the shutter.
Mind you, looking at some of my old slides, I often think "I wish I'd taken more."

And these modern pesky batteries are so large and heavy and take an age to swap - way more complicated than film.

;)
I usually carried a couple of spare cassettes of film with me.

It used to take much longer to rewind and change a film than it does to pop in a new battery.

I don't know what camera uses "large and heavy" batteries, but mine take up less space than a roll of 35mm film, and probably weigh about the same.

;)

And you never had a film camera with a battery powered light meter and shutter that stopped working unexpectedly? As Brian said, it took much longer to replace a film than a battery, even if your film camera had a motor drive to rewind the film for you.

We managed because if we wanted to take pictures, that was what we had. Just like an older generation of photographers having to pour their own plates. Just like we'd spend nights in the darkroom to create a couple of prints instead of an hour at the computer in lightroom & on the internet uploading.

Back