Sony A7 - What video recording settings?

Name
Jack
Edit My Images
Yes
So I have recently bought an A7 and have started playing around with videos.

Theres a few settings for recording but ill be honest, Im really not sure what is best. I have the following options

50i 24m (FX)
50i 17M (FH)
50p 28M (PS)
25p 24M (FX)
25p 17M (FH)

I have done a test in each but im not noticing a huge difference between a few of them.

Obviously I am trying to get the best quality I can out of it and don't mind about file sizes etc. Any ideas?

So I have recently bought an A7 and have started playing around with videos.

Theres a few settings for recording but ill be honest, Im really not sure what is best. I have the following options

50i 24m (FX)
50i 17M (FH)
50p 28M (PS)
25p 24M (FX)
25p 17M (FH)

I have done a test in each but im not noticing a huge difference between a few of them.

Obviously I am trying to get the best quality I can out of it and don't mind about file sizes etc. Any ideas?

Depends on what you're shooting.

Shooting everything to be honest.

What are the main differences im look for?

higher frame rate captures more data, better for action, but in my opinion 25 frames has a very pleasing quality since the frames are blending together rather than strobing
also shooting higher frame rates allows you to slow down by stretching the 50 frame per second clip into a 25 frame per second time line, meaning a perfect 2x slow motion effect, a 1 second recording will play for 2 seconds.
Higher frame rates need aa faster shutter speed, you want to keep things to double the frame rate, so shooting at 25 fps=1/50, shooting 50fps=1/100

also don't use the 'i' settings, that's interlaced video and it will look like crap, the second number is the bit rate, which is the quality- you wont notice a huge difference but the higher bit rate=higher quality, especially during action scenes so, probably best to just stick with the highest quality unless you really want to save disk space

There are 2 major motion artefacts, blur and strobing (jerky motion). Both get worse at lower frame rates. Many shoot at 25 for its cinema look (although that is changing as cinema moves away from 14 foot-lamberts). For sport 50 is the norm otherwise the motion blur is excessive (UHD has 100 for sport).

Interlaced is an analogue compression technique but, if handled correctly, looks good. The vast majority of HD broadcasts in the UK are 50i.

There are 2 major motion artefacts, blur and strobing (jerky motion). Both get worse at lower frame rates. Many shoot at 25 for its cinema look (although that is changing as cinema moves away from 14 foot-lamberts). For sport 50 is the norm otherwise the motion blur is excessive (UHD has 100 for sport).

Interlaced is an analogue compression technique but, if handled correctly, looks good. The vast majority of HD broadcasts in the UK are 50i.

yeah but would anyone willingly shoot interlaced if it wasn't a requirement, transmitting HD footage is bandwidth heavy, so ofcourse they're going to want to compress it/get the quality as low as possible for efficient broadcast- but when you're recording for yourself, idk why you'd ever choose to shoot interlaced

you're probably right about frame rates, but since this guy is a total beginner, seems a bit overkill

Reactions: CSB
Back