Sony A700 Advice

Name
Arron
Edit My Images
Yes
Right guys & gals,

I recently won an auction for a faulty Sony A700 for £130 (was my max. bid and thought would go higher), the apparent fault according to the Seller is the CF Card Slot is faulty and when a card is inserted the Camera 'Fails'. However the Seller stated that if this is not used and you just use the Sony Memory Stick Slot the Camera is in full working order.

So...can the A700 use the Sony Card slot as the primary location for images? And can you use a Micro SD > Sony MS Duo Adapter in the A700?

If anyone has experienced the CF Fault too it would be nice to know if they got it repaired (costs etc.) or if they lived with it.

Cheers,
Arron

I don't know if you can use a Micro SD /adapter set up with the A700, but you certainly can use the Memory Stick slot as the destination card for images. With the A700 you can choose either the CF or the MS slot for images via the Menu, but not both, so if the only problem with the camera is the CF slot, you should be OK just using a MS card in it.

Just guessing, but the most likely problem with the CF slot will be bent pins at the bottom of the card slot in the camera. Hard to fix and probably not worth the trouble if the Memory Stick slot works as it should.

HTH

Dave

You may well have done. The A700 is an excellent camera which can still hold it's own out there. It can take a bit of messing about with settings ("styles" setups) to get the best out of the beast but the results can be very worthwhile. Make sure it's got firmware v4 installed!
High ISO is not the A700's forte therefore shooting RAW is often preferable in low light situations as it's a "noisy" beast above ISO800. With v4 firmware, JPEGs in good light are very acceptable (in my experience - your mileage may vary as they say!)

It's a great camera to hold and use - one of Sony's best, and has superior handling to the A77 IMO (although not surprisingly the A77 pretty much leaves it in the dust IQ-wise!).

As you might have guessed, I'm a bit of a fan of the old girl...... :)

Dave

The only problem you're likely to find using the MS slot is that MS are typically a lot slower than CF, so if you start to rattle off shots at 5fps you will have a bit of a pause after you finish while it struggles to copy all the data from the buffer.

Right bit of a update, absolutely chuffed. Camera came today an turns out the seller was trying the camera with a 32gb card (which apparently isn't supported), put my card(s) in and it's working 100%

Well you've definately got the a bargain then :clap::clap:

Enjoy your new camera, my FIL has one and loves it (y)

Right bit of a update, absolutely chuffed. Camera came today an turns out the seller was trying the camera with a 32gb card (which apparently isn't supported), put my card(s) in and it's working 100%

What a result!!!

The A700 ergo's are really nice, it's a joy to use!

Congratulation from me too:clap: The A700 is a brilliant buy eventhough its few years old, this was the camera I enjoyed most when I had one back in 2009;) Enjoy!

Back