Sony a77 to a6000

Name
Frank is what most call me
Edit My Images
Yes
After getting into photography while ill and what I thought and hoped would end up as serious amateur/ would be David Bailey etc things have however crashed and burned with some what of a whimper as I bought all this lovely kit with the intention of carrying it everywhere but life & work have conspired against me so I am going to sell the a77 and go to the a600 as it seems more portable and suited to grabbing it when you pick up the car keys.

Does anyone here use the a600?, experiences and recommendations for lenses would be appreciated. I am at present looking at a body with 16-70 CZ f/4, 18-105 G, the Sony 50mm f/1.8 and the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 art lens which will all fit in a shoulder/backpack rather than the three bed detached sized Lowepro Magnum that I currently have. My aim is to carry the camera everywhere possible which I never really gave a thought to before going on umpteen shopping expeditions to make the bag look less empty'

I had a play with the 6000 in John Lewis yesterday and it actually seems a great little piece of kit, always been with Sony but I'm not averse to trying something new so am open to suggestion. When I bought the 77 i was expecting to reach at least the suggested shutter actuations Sony say the camera will do rather than the meagre 2000 that have been clicked thus far.

I did look for a 6000 owners thread without any luck, any input is greatly welcome:)

I've got one with the kit lens and the 50mm f1.8 and love it. I use a very small shoulder bag which takes camera, lenses and charger and I don't even notice it.

The af system is fantastic but does take a little learning to find the best options for certain situations and you have to let go sometimes and put faith in it and trust the cameras auto af system lol This brings me onto a negative in that I believe there aren't any lenses for it yet which can fully utilise the af system with very difficult af situations such as a fast dog running towards you.

Another negative is no dedicated viewfinder / rear screen button and the auto sensor is a little sensitive. I covered exactly half of the sensor with a tiny piece of electrical tape and it works perfectly now.

Dynamic range is very good and the amount of detail I can pull back with the raw files is impressive.

Thanks for that Graham, I have the plastic fantastic 50mm f1.8 in the a-mount which is one of my favourites. It may be that I have to wait for the 7000 if I decide to keep any of my a-mount glass.

Another vote for the A6000 here.
I really cannot recommend it highly enough, huge sensor that captures tons of detail, and probably the
fastest af system i've used.
Even with the FE 70-200mm it still fits in an average sized shoulder bag (Think Tank Retrospective 30)
A few recent pics

17175635312_335548468d_h.jpg

17176666595_638acd93cd_h.jpg

16901382320_cf5b90a6f6_h.jpg

17028683126_faa53748e9_b.jpg

I'm sure you need the e mount for the full af system to work as I was also looking at fast af a mount lenses but the adapter still would hinder it. Tempted with the 70-200mm for its dual af motors but a lot of money for what I need at the moment.

I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 in the a-mount (non os version) but there is talk of IBIS in the 7000. In all honesty, I have six decent lenses in a-mount but will just get rid of them all and flip to e-mount as I have only taken 2000 shots with the whole lot so makes no sense really in hanging on to them.....just don't have the time I would like but a grab & go like the 6000 would would enable me to always have a camera at hand for whatever came along.

rx100 or sigma dp or ricoh gr are alternatives

if u want fast glass then the weight and some of the size gains go away when u go to mirrorless

• RX100 was a tad to small to be honest and my local JL didn't have the Ricoh that I could see.

the gr is very small but mighty, think its trouser pocketable with fairly good ease :)

I have biggish hands Paul which is why I went for the a77 but the a6000 seems to address the smaller camera for people with bigger hands quite well. The gr may be too small but I will give it a go if I see one.

ironicaly my mum has a a6000, and then bought a arca swiss grip plate thing to improve the handling :)

its one of those things, easier to carry around but worse to actually use

Think I will try and utilize my Black Rapid RS7 with whatever I get....it seems that manufacturers want us to go smaller with cameras and make them larger again with all the add ons :)

Back