Sony a77 with 16-50 lens refurbished £699

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. The refurbished sony slt a77 with 16-50 lens has now been reduced to £699 on the sony outlet website. I've just ordered mine.
Glynn

That's some bargain. I paid £1100 brand new a few weeks back and it feels worth every penny, one hell of a 'kit' lens as well.

Worth throwing a few quid at the Gary Friedmann PDF, great read and really helps you get the most out of it (his info on battery life alone has me getting 2000 shots from a single battery, they're only rated to 500ish)

That's some bargain. I paid £1100 brand new a few weeks back and it feels worth every penny, one hell of a 'kit' lens as well.

Worth throwing a few quid at the Gary Friedmann PDF, great read and really helps you get the most out of it (his info on battery life alone has me getting 2000 shots from a single battery, they're only rated to 500ish)

I nearly bought one a couple of weeks ago when they were £899 and there was a 10% discount code but i'm glad i waited now. I just hope it's ok as I've read that some people have had problems with the condition of products from the sony outlet.
Thank you for the book recommendation as i've been looking at the David Busch books but have read good things about the Gary Friedmann book. I will probably download it later so i can get a head start with all the new features the a77 has over the a55 which i currently have.

I bought it at 809 :crying:
you can get cashback too btw

I went a55 to a77, does feel much bigger

Hi. The refurbished sony slt a77 with 16-50 lens has now been reduced to £699 on the sony outlet website. I've just ordered mine.
Glynn

do you have a link to that site??

Les (y)

Thank you- Im in the market for an a77 (y)

Les :D

So much for a bargain. My A77 came yesterday. Unfortunately it arrived in very poor condition including a damaged mirror and marked and discoloured viewfinder. Also there were scratches on the rear lcd, top lcd, lens body and a large finger print on the mount end element of the lens. I spoke to sony and they apologized but could only offer a refund as they have to have the same product in stock in the outlet to send a replacement. I do have 30 days to return so they suggested i wait and see if another a77 comes up on the website. They are unable to just reserve the next A77 that comes in to stock. I've sent them an email making it clear that this camera shouldn't have been excepted as a return, let alone sent out to a customer and certainly wasn't inspected before dispatch as they state on their website.

Sorry for the picture quality but they were taken in a hurry and a very bad mood.
8721792861_065fac8695.jpg

8722912678_ba5ac6f0da.jpg

Last edited:
That's truly awful- I bought a brand new Sony a77 Body = yesterday from London Camera Exchange, so in a way I'm glad the Sony store was out of stock, if that's the way they operate :eek:

I hope you get it sorted fella -and some compensation from Sony would be nice........................ don't hold your breath though

Les (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Les. To be honest i don't see how a mirror can get damaged like that unless its deliberate. I've had my A55 for 18 months and it's still like new.
By the way if you have just got an A77 then i can highly recommend Gary Friedmanns ebook as recommended by ukaskew above. It's more like a tutorial than a instruction book. I bought it to get a head start before my camera came.

That's shocking, I don't even understand how a camera in that condition would end up in their possession, I wonder if somebody actually managed to get a refund on that!?

I got an email back from sony basically saying the same as the person i spoke to yesterday. I can have a full refund but no replacement as none in stock. So I've sent them another email saying that I should have received a camera as described on their webpage.
Refurbished means that the unit was returned either because the customer simply didn't want it or a minor problem was found. Before re-selling the equipment, we fix and certify the unit and sell it at a discount. Refurbished products cannot be sold as new products, which is why they are re-labeled as refurbished units even if they are good-as-new (if, for example, the unit was returned for some reason unrelated to the product itself, such as the customer changing their mind about the color). Refurbished products are bench tested and certified by the authorized service centers of SONY and then re-packaged with labeled as a Refurbished Product on it.
They are sold with the standard warranty from Sony up to two years (depending on the product and country) - just like brand new products.
I pointed out that the camera i received doesn't match the above description and therefore should never have been for sale. I therefore should have received the product as described above which was in stock when i ordered. I've also asked for contact details for their complaints department as i'm not happy with just getting a refund. I think too many companies get away with poor standards by just giving your money back.
I doubt if it will do any good but can only try.

I bought one of these and its arrived with original box and accessories, all working ok. The camera has just under 5000 shutter actuations and no sign of physical damage. A couple of slight marks where the camera has been mounted to a tripod but its only on the sticker itself. I bought my first a77 body only last year and its in similar condition to this and has almost the same actuations. For me its been a good experience but I must admit the external packaging could have been better.

That's a dreadful state. I've no idea how Sony can claim to "fix and certify" the refurbished stock if they send out something like that. My 30D is about 7 years old, and granted it's not been used in over a year but it's in far better nick than that.

I'd just take the refund (I have some experience of this with my laptop, got a dell outlet model that I returned due to cosmetic damage and replaced with a proper new one).

What I've noticed with the Outlet is the pricing. One item can be £250 while the same item can be £350, or older models going for a lot more money than current models. They can't be pricing them based on 'damage', can they?

the eyepiece might clean up, just looks oily to me.... The mirror is junk however
:-(
have you checked that the sensor is ok?

Sadly I can't say I'm surprised to see Sony still having poor after sales, I have one of their point and shoots (a nearly £300 one) that developed a known fault and they still wouldn't fix it.

I grant you it was out of warranty, but still a known defect and to me it was obvious from the tone of the emails that they neither cared nor would change their stance.

Thanks Les. To be honest i don't see how a mirror can get damaged like that unless its deliberate. I've had my A55 for 18 months and it's still like new.
By the way if you have just got an A77 then i can highly recommend Gary Friedmanns ebook as recommended by ukaskew above. It's more like a tutorial than a instruction book. I bought it to get a head start before my camera came.

I had some similar damage on my a65 (which I caused :() while moving the mirror to clean the sensor with a rocket blower, I must say it had no effect on Image Quality, Sony replaced the mirror in a service which cost me £110 - I appreciate that's not the point- a refurbished camera should be 100% :bang:

Hope things get sorted for ya

Les (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everybody for the responses. I've just been on the phone to Sony again as their website was showing stock. They checked stock and their system said none available. I clicked on add to basket only to get a message saying no stock and when I refreshed the page there was no longer stock of either the body only or body & lens. Strange that. They then told me that i could have a refund. To be honest this has become a matter of principle. I can remember when the Sony name meant a quality product. These big companys spend a fortune on advertising and customer relation surveys but when you talk to them seem very inflexible. They even sent me an email for a survey which i've completed. As can be imagined they didn't score very highly and i've added my emails to the comments box. I've also now got an address to send a letter to but it's in Belgium. I still feel that the camera I received should not have passed their so called bench test and certification and if nothing else should have at least been cleaned.

Tonyk79 how did you find out the number of shutter activations. I did find a website where you submit a photo. Was that it.

Glynn,

If you take a photo on it it gives it a number in the standard file name such as dsc_4197 and then the next you take would be 4198 and so on. In my packaging I had a card signed off by the engineer who complete the service/repair on it and it contained sections with a check list and confirmed the camera serial number. I wonder have you maybe got one that's been sent out before refurb, slipped through the net.

tonyk79, thank you for the reply. To be honest because of the damage to the mirror i didn't take any images so i can't check the number. I didn't have any card with serial number in the box , only a signed piece of paper listing the accessories. Although there was a sticker sealing the box with the serial number on .
Anyway I've decided to send it back and get a refund. My wife pointed out that I would do better just to order another one when they are back in stock as by the time I've rang the help line to request a replacement it would probably be sold. Also if my credit card bill came out at the wrong time i would have to pay for both and the refund would be on the next bill. Knowing my luck the price will go up and when i get another one it will be the same one back.
Thanks everybody again for your comments
Glynn

Last edited:
Just buy NEW -that's what I did - I feel bad for you but because of the who harr you've had-:bang: I opted to buy a new a77 and glad I did (y)

So I have a77 and a65 as a back up

AND I've just won a Sony a58 and kit lens in a local comp :clap::clap::clap:

but that will be getting sold :D

Hope the refund goes well

Les (y)

Thanks Les. Congratulations on winning the competition. Unfortunately I can't afford a new one at the moment. I did really like the A77 and lens though . Obviously I didn't get to check image quality but it was a lot easier for me to hold in my large hands. Also nice to have quick access to everything. I couldn't believe how quiet the focusing on the lens was. One of the reasons i want to upgrade is my first grandchild has just been born and I want to take video. Not the A55's strong point because of the overheating.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.
My A77 came from the outlet with under 600 shutter actuations on it ...
(there is a new utility/website that works for SLTs & some but not all of the Alpha DSLRs).
Been fine so far.

Thanks Les. Congratulations on winning the competition. Unfortunately I can't afford a new one at the moment. I did really like the A77 and lens though . Obviously I didn't get to check image quality but it was a lot easier for me to hold in my large hands. Also nice to have quick access to everything. I couldn't believe how quiet the focusing on the lens was. One of the reasons i want to upgrade is my first grandchild has just been born and I want to take video. Not the A55's strong point because of the overheating.

Thank you- Seems the a58 is not a bad little camera I never use the kit klns so can't really comment on that- I too have large hands and it operation seem to suit

My a65 is away for re-calibration as the auto focus is off a tad, so I'm hanging onto the a58 as a 2nd unit in case I have problems wit the a77 which isn't likely as its new :D

Keeps us posted on your refund etc.

Les (y)

Just a quick update in case anybody is interested. I sent the damaged A77 back to sony in the end and got a refund. Still no reply to my emailed complaint or to the online feedback survey i completed.
Anyway, shortly after receiving the refund another A77 with kit lens was listed on the sony outlet site and so i thought i'd try again. I also found a discount code which meant i payed £664.04 this time.:) Even better is that apart from a cosmetic mark on the lens body and the lettering on the selector dial being slightly worn on one side this camera is fine and works perfectly. Also had a fingerprint on the viewfinder and has just over 7200 shutter actuations, but to be honest i'm very pleased with it, especially for the price.

Last edited:
All of these experiences do make me wonder whether Sony should just relabel it their second hand outlet. I've never bought a refurb which didn't look as new.

yeah, generally a manufacturer refurb incl replacement of any scratched/defective parts, they should grade and price individually if they sell vastly different conditioned items, instead of it being pot luck but in saying that Fuji are the same.

All of these experiences do make me wonder whether Sony should just relabel it their second hand outlet. I've never bought a refurb which didn't look as new.

Couldn't agree more. The way i look at it is that I've bought the A77 second hand for less than they go for on ebay used but with 12 months sony warranty. As I said above I'm very pleased with the camera for half the price of a new one, but sony's customer service and quality checks on the so called refurbished products has much to answer for. They were very helpful on the phone but I got the feeling that their wasn't much they could do.

Back