Sony A7iii hot pixel issue with long exposures?

• Thread starter Deleted member 92882
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 92882

Sony A7iii hot pixel issue with long exposures?

I have a Sony A7iii and I’m aware that they suffer ‘hot pixel’ issues during long exposures i.e. red, green bright pixels in the shot, lots of them. I also know that turning on Noise Reduction During Long Exposure in the settings helps a lot, but not totally.

Question, is this something that only effects Sony cameras during long exposures at night or does it also happen during day shots, for example, a 4-minutes exposure with a 15-stop ND?

Can happen any time of the day with any and all camera brands. It's not specific to Sony or time of day.

Last edited:
This perticular issue is specific to Sony. Any 'Sony' users out there who can confirm, after trying, and answer more accurately with authority.

This perticular issue is specific to Sony. Any 'Sony' users out there who can confirm, after trying, and answer more accurately with authority.
Well, seeing as @nandbytes bytes shoots with a Sony, I guess he's as accurate and as authoritative as anyone else on here.

Last edited:
I agree it can happen with any brand day or night. I've had it on long exposures with Hasselblad too. Look for a function like "pixel mapping" to correct. Fuji has this inbuilt and some Canon models too. I rarely use Sony so not sure about that specifically. For Hasselblad, I recall using their Phocus processing software did a pretty good job. Also, Capture One noise reduction includes a specific feature to deal with hot pixels.

Last edited:

Hot pixels as result of long exposure is not specific to Sony or any single camera for that matter.

I have been a Sony user forever and also used number of other brands. Had a Panasonic till 3 months ago. they all show hot pixels with long exposure and they all have the option of using dark frame subtraction to reduce long exposure noise.
I also regularly practice long exposure photography.

regardless its not a good idea being dismissive of someone trying to help.

Last edited:
Hot pixels as result of long exposure is not specific to Sony or any single camera for that matter.

I have been a Sony user forever and also used number of other brands. Had a Panasonic till 3 months ago. they all show hot pixels with long exposure and they all have the option of using dark frame subtraction to reduce long exposure noise.
I also regularly practice long exposure photography.

regardless its not a good idea being dismissive of someone trying to help.

Not being dismissive, fact, this particular post is not helpful, not even close to answring my original question of "does this happen during long exposures during daylight, or only at night in dark areas".

Not being dismissive, fact, this particular post is not helpful, not even close to answring my original question of "does this happen during long exposures during daylight, or only at night in dark areas".

His post was helpful and was also correct. Brand of camera will not effect this, can happen with any camera.

I have also been a Sony user for some time, I currently have 7 Sony bodies, previous to that I have also had Nikon, Fuji and Canon and all of them have the same issue.

I answered your question in my first response, in fact it's the first thing I said/answered.
In case you missed it I've highlighted it in bold.

Can happen any time of the day with any and all camera brands. It's not specific to Sony or time of day.

It seems that you want someone to say 'yes, this is a problem with Sony cameras'. Perhaps your particular camera has a problem?

For the love of God, guys, keep it on topic. This is about the worse forum I have ever visited for stupid contrary comments. FFS! Get a life. t***s

I have kept on topic and I have answered every single one of your questions.
Not sure why you are lashing out at us, is it because it's not the answer you expected or were hoping for?

For the love of God, guys, keep it on topic. This is about the worse forum I have ever visited for stupid contrary comments. FFS! Get a life. t***s

Did you mean ‘worst’? ;)

I think you should go and find another forum, if you've not been banned from them already for being such a dick.

I'm no fortune teller but with that attitude I foresee a blank space where your name used to be soon.

You have been helped.

I'll reiterate for you.

It happens to all cameras - it's not just Sonys. One of the perils of long exposure shooting with digital cameras.

The OP has requested that his account be deleted as there are "Too many idiots arguing, it's pathetic" so, being the helpful chap that I am, I've obliged.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves for using your knowledge and experience to answer his question. We should be actively discouraging this sort of behaviour on a photography forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back