Sony A7R IV

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone! I am considering buying this camera along with the 200-600 Sony lens I am just worried that my Mac and MacBook Air might not handle the large files. My Macbook is mid 2012 and only 4 GB so think I need to up that to a new system. Looking for some advice please from those of you who have this camera.

Hi everyone! I am considering buying this camera along with the 200-600 Sony lens I am just worried that my Mac and MacBook Air might not handle the large files. My Macbook is mid 2012 and only 4 GB so think I need to up that to a new system. Looking for some advice please from those of you who have this camera.
Get the A9 ;)
I've got an A7ii and the 200-600mm.
Getting an A9 soon.
I use a mid 2012 macbook pro.
Got 16gb ram and changed hdd to an ssd.
Big difference.

Last edited:
Bob don't think I can add 16gb ram into my old MacBook Air so yes I would need a new one or did you get the changes done by Apple to add ram and change your hdd to ssd
I looked at the A9 but felt the sensor in the one above would be better for cropping. I crop a lot of my bird images.

Bob don't think I can add 16gb ram into my old MacBook Air so yes I would need a new one or did you get the changes done by Apple to add ram and change your hdd to ssd
I looked at the A9 but felt the sensor in the one above would be better for cropping. I crop a lot of my bird images.

A 2012 MBA is going to struggle with most raws, unless you have a lot of spare time.

Sorry, its only 8gb, but it will take 16gb although apple say it won't. Its a macbook pro.
I changed the hdd to ssd myself, and was going to change the ram, but so far haven't felt the need.

You can upgrade memory & storage in a Macbook 2012 (SSD will help a little, though only a little when it comes to actually working) but there's nothing can bolster a MBA of that age.

You can add more RAM, 4GB doesn’t even meet the min requirements of Lightroom CC IIRC, and they recommend 16GB.

I have a 16GB MBP and even that struggles (in that it’s slow) at times with LR, mainly as there’s never actually 16GB RAM free. I’m actually wanting to upgrade my MBP and would stick 64GB in, but the current prices are ridiculous.

I have the A7RIV and one way to reduce file sizes is to convert to Adobe DNG, this takes them from circa 120mb to circa 65mb by adding lossless compression. To date I have witnessed no ill effects. That being said file size is one thing, but it still has to render/deal with all those pixels which can slow it down.

Last thing to mention is that there have been reports that the A7RIV doesn’t always play nice with the 200-600mm.

You can add more RAM, 4GB doesn’t even meet the min requirements of Lightroom CC IIRC, and they recommend 16GB.

I have a 16GB MBP and even that struggles (in that it’s slow) at times with LR, mainly as there’s never actually 16GB RAM free. I’m actually wanting to upgrade my MBP and would stick 64GB in, but the current prices are ridiculous.

I have the A7RIV and one way to reduce file sizes is to convert to Adobe DNG, this takes them from circa 120mb to circa 65mb by adding lossless compression. To date I have witnessed no ill effects. That being said file size is one thing, but it still has to render/deal with all those pixels which can slow it down.

Last thing to mention is that there have been reports that the A7RIV doesn’t always play nice with the 200-600mm.

Thank you for this info. I have not purchased a new camera yet and I find this info very helpful.

Re Sony lens I feel I need the reach of the 200-600
I have given up my Sigma 150-600 and used it a lot between 500-600 and I was hoping the Sony might even be better. We’re there any suggestions of what might be better ?

You can upgrade memory & storage in a Macbook 2012 (SSD will help a little, though only a little when it comes to actually working) but there's nothing can bolster a MBA of that age.

Thank you :)
I can see I am going to have to change my MacBook and probably my Big Mac but it is time to be honest I can see that now .

Thank you for this info. I have not purchased a new camera yet and I find this info very helpful.

I have given up my Sigma 150-600 and used it a lot between 500-600 and I was hoping the Sony might even be better. We’re there any suggestions of what might be better ?
The 200-600mm is a great lens.
In the past I've had a Sigma 150-600mm and Leica 100-400mm and the Sony is better on all counts.
There have been some issues with the lens and Riv body, but I think lots of folks use this combination without any issues. I think some of the issues may have been when uv filters have been used on the lens.
It seems to affect bursts where wildlife is moving a lot and bif rather than perched.

Last edited:

As Bobsyouruncle said the 200-600mm is a great lens, and imo those that have issues when using it with the A7RIV are in the vast minority otherwise the internet would be flooded with reports and complaints. There are some unhappy people, but it only appears to be a few. I only mentioned it as whilst it’s the vast minority, the issue is present for some reason and it’s important to have all the info before shelling out thousands of pounds on equipment.

hi quick reply I have the fe 200-600mm and am amazed at the results at the price point , I use it along with the a7iii and have understood thats not the body for you. I get the more pixels for cropping as I shoot a-mount a99ii 42megapixel and 300 2.8 which is great even with the 1.4 teleconverter. I only shoot raw files and uncompressed and they do require a decent spec laptop

Been using 200-600mm with A7RIV and had both from release. Even on the 61mp sensor the sharpness is really great and gives amazing crop room. I notice a sight dip in sharpness in the corner compared to say 100-400GM but if you have your subjects in extreme corners at 600mm/6.3 you have other problems than sharpness :p

After a lot of thought Bob I have ordered the Sony A9 plus the 200-600 just waiting on its arrival :) Thanks to you and other members for all the info given .
This is a great setup I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

Rob.

Back