Sony A7R mk3 or Nikon D850

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
sorry if this has been done before but what do you think?
lots of old videos on YouTube
the prices of a second hand D850 seem to be quite affordable for such a good camera
quit exciting stuff this photography lark, bit of a minefield as well i expect lol

Last edited:
Maybe a more direct comparison would be with the A7Riii?

Personally I'm more comfortable with an optical vf for a more direct viewing experience, But you can tailor the Sony evf to some extent, both to include a live histogram and if you want (in ambient / continuous light), to simulate the exposure set.

sorry if this has been done before but what do you think?
lots of old videos on YouTube
the prices of a second hand D850 seem to be quite affordable for such a good camera
quit exciting stuff this photography lark, bit of a minefield as well i expect lol
Both phenomenal cameras capable of shooting pretty much anything. Decide whether you want mirrorless or DSLR and which feels better to use and take it from there. Both systems have pretty much every lens you will need, but some will be cheaper than others so maybe this will dictate which system you go for.

Both phenomenal cameras capable of shooting pretty much anything. Decide whether you want mirrorless or DSLR and which feels better to use and take it from there. Both systems have pretty much every lens you will need, but some will be cheaper than others so maybe this will dictate which system you go for.
I want the Sony but keep looking at the Nikon...….price of a decent lens will swing it one way or the other

Maybe a more direct comparison would be with the A7Riii?

Personally I'm more comfortable with an optical vf for a more direct viewing experience, But you can tailor the Sony evf to some extent, both to include a live histogram and if you want (in ambient / continuous light), to simulate the exposure set.
ah i meant the R3 i willl have to change the title ........

The A7's aren't exactly light. And the D850 is quite a lump, but to my mind is very (more) comfortable in the hand.

The A7's aren't exactly light. And the D850 is quite a lump, but to my mind is very (more) comfortable in the hand.

650g vs 1005g, that's a decent prime or a few batteries difference.

Last edited:
I made the same decision recently and went D850 but my decision was partly swayed because I had a suite of nice f mount lenses. Although the form factor and physical controls of the Nikon also helped.

If I was starting from scratch it would be a Sony.

ah i meant the R3 i willl have to change the title ........
That makes the decision even harder ;)

I’ve had the D850 and now the A7RIV (with the Z7 in between) and they are totally different cameras tbh. The traditional optical viewfinder is hard to beat in terms of outright viewing, but the extra perks of the EVF are hard to overlook.

Sony’s eye AF is something else. Tbh I couldn’t see what all the fuss was about, I mean it’s not as though I’ve not been able to shoot portraits etc without it before, but now I’ve tried it I get it.

Eye af is awesome I’ve loved using it on my rx100vi

The issue with eye af though is if the subject isn’t looking at you or looking to the side it does cause problems.

The issue with eye af though is if the subject isn’t looking at you or looking to the side it does cause problems.

Not with the A7III, A9, A9II

I had a similar dilemma last year: stay with Nikon but upgrade to something with AF that mostly works or try something different. I chose a Sony A7III because the D850 is excessively heavy, the eye AF function of the Sony is superior when photographing people and I didn't need the extra pixels of the D850.

An A7rIII would have been even better.

I guess there are a couple of key questions not asked.
1. What are your planing to shoot - portrait, landscape, architecture, wildlife ?
2. Budget for lenses / existing kit ?
3. Future aspirations

will help frame a decision

rob

Not with the A7III, A9, A9II
It may we’ll be the settings I’m using as I don’t think the rx100 af system or indeed settings menu is in any different so if your willing to share some settings would be appreciated!

It may we’ll be the settings I’m using as I don’t think the rx100 af system or indeed settings menu is in any different so if your willing to share some settings would be appreciated!

Don't think it would be an issue with settings, more likely to be an issue with processing power. The A9 for example can perform 60 a.f calculations per second.

Not with the A7RIV either. If using wide it will pick up on the nearest subject (not always what you want) but if you're using expandable spot or any kind of tracking it just picks up on the head until they turn around again where it jumps straight back to the eye.

Don't think it would be an issue with settings, more likely to be an issue with processing power. The A9 for example can perform 60 a.f calculations per second.
Ah I think we are talking cross purposes then I mean like when a subject has the back of their heads to you or the eye is barely visible. Like a kid moving around.

NB it’s not processing power the sony rx100 7 has the A9 focus capabilities! I have the 6 though which is more like a7(3) which of course is truly stunning rather than truly truly stunning!

Last edited:
If I had to decide between the two... it most definitely would be the Sony A7R III over the Brickon DSLR. I see no future in DSLR technology.
As others have mentioned, I think Sony now lead when it comes to AF technology and Eye-AF is simply amazing. :)

Not with the A7RIV either. If using wide it will pick up on the nearest subject (not always what you want) but if you're using expandable spot or any kind of tracking it just picks up on the head until they turn around again where it jumps straight back to the eye.
Yes the same with the rx100 but it won’t let me take a shot if I’m on eye at mode until the eye is showing. I’ll have another play and see what I can do’

Yes the same with the rx100 but it won’t let me take a shot if I’m on eye at mode until the eye is showing. I’ll have another play and see what I can do’

Mmm something not right there it should switch to face detect if the eye is not available. You mentioned eye a.f not working with a side on view though, I have never had this issue with my Sony camera's none of them have any issue using eye a.f with a side on view.

Last edited:
Dunno, maybe a 'flaw' with the RX100's?

Back