Sony A7RII and older lenses

Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry if this has been covered if it had could some one please put me in the direction.

Basically looking for an adapter so i can use older lenses, i fancy a bit of experimenting.

Kind regards

Danny

I very nearly started this same thread about an hour ago....I'll just lurk in the replies :)

I've got an LA-EA3 for my A-Mount stuff, but wouldn't mind seeing what else is out there

Depends how old and what mount/functionality you want.

Really old Canon FD lenses for example you’d just need something cheap like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beschoi-Ad...fd-e+mount&dpPl=1&dpID=41AVWsY78UL&ref=plSrch

Clearly it’s basically a metal tube and you’d only have the metadata recorded by the camera (no lens data).

If you wanted to use for example the Minolta Beercan and you wanted the AF and aperture you would need the much more expensive LA-EA3/4.

So all depends on the lenses basically (y)

Last edited:
Depends how old and what mount/functionality you want.

Really old Canon FD lenses for example you’d just need something cheap like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beschoi-Ad...fd-e+mount&dpPl=1&dpID=41AVWsY78UL&ref=plSrch

Clearly it’s basically a metal tube and you’d only have the metadata recorded by the camera (no lens data).

If you wanted to use for example the Minolta Beercan and you wanted the AF and aperture you would need the much more expensive LA-EA3/4.

So all depends on the lenses basically (y)

Thanks for that. Do you know what adaptor I would need for olympus lenses?

I'm struggling to find one for the A7RII the one in the first reply days it's not compatible. Any ideas ??

If you go to evil bay and type in the lens mount to camera mount you'll see lots. For example if you type in "Olympus Zuiko to Sony A7 adapter" you'll see lots.

I have some Novoflex adapter which cost in the region of £100 or so new but I also have some cheap adapters that cost from below £10 to £20 and they seem perfectly fine but at the cheaper end there could be some lemons out there.

If you're interested in old manual lenses I have pre ai Nikon, Minolta Rokkor, Olympus Zuiko and Canon FD and some third party lenses in those mounts and of them all I'd say that the Minolta Rokkors are the best, but they're all perfectly useable. Remember to set the camera to shoot with a lens and you'll be on your way :D I find that focus peaking works well at wide apertures and the magnified view makes very precise manual focus possible if you have the time.

Good luck with it all, I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from any old lenses you pick up.

I noticed when I was looking that several Amazon-sourced Olympus adapters only claimed compatibility with certain Sony bodies. I'm not sure if that was deliberate and I don't know why they wouldn't fit all bodies but for what it is worth I got a Gobe adapter which works fine for all my Olympus lenses (except my Oly 35mm shift but that's a different story) on a Sony A7 original.

Sony changed the mount after criticism of the "plastic" mount on the mk1. From what I've read some adapters sold as for mk1 only and not suitable for mk2 actually work... so some of this may be a bottom covering exercise... but buyer beware...

It may be an idea to avoid any which specifically mention only the Nex series or state that they are for APS-C as in the early days of the A7 I bought one and it vignetted badly with my 24mm lens on my A7 but worked ok from 28mm and up though.

Last edited:
Back