Sony A9 with Sony FE 200-600mm lens

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Hi all I have a query about this combo specifically related to wildlife photography, has anyone on here got this kit ( or had it ), if so what are your thoughts on it as a viable option to photgraph birds in flight/fast moving animals and its low light capability, just to add I'd prefer opinions or views from toggers who have had hands on experience of this Sony kit.
Cheers

Martin

I can comment on the lens, Im very happy with it very fast AF and great IQ use of the limit switch 10mts to infinity for bif makes it keep up with most things .
It is a bit front heavy on my A7R4 a grip may help I might get one for it.

I nearly bought the a9 as it is said to be the top Sony and im sure it is from what iv read but there is a A9mkII on the way so went for the a7r4 and will see what the new a9 gives and may well get one next year.
Rob.

why not consider the Sony 100-400 GM f4.5 / f5.6 ?? link: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-fe-100-400mm-f4-5-5-6-oss-g-master-lens-1625063/

The Sony 200-600 has a maximum aperture of f6.3 at 600mm, so hardly a low light lens

I use one with great success on my Sony a7Rii- ( opinions may of course vary :) )

R1Wl2E6.jpg

8li6W2K.jpg

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can comment on the lens, Im very happy with it very fast AF and great IQ use of the limit switch 10mts to infinity for bif makes it keep up with most things .
It is a bit front heavy on my A7R4 a grip may help I might get one for it.

I nearly bought the a9 as it is said to be the top Sony and im sure it is from what iv read but there is a A9mkII on the way so went for the a7r4 and will see what the new a9 gives and may well get one next year.
Rob.
why not consider the Sony 100-400 GM f4.5 / f5.6 ?? link: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-fe-100-400mm-f4-5-5-6-oss-g-master-lens-1625063/

The Sony 200-600 has a maximum aperture of f6.3 at 600mm, so hardly a low light lens

I use one with great success on my Sony a7Rii- ( opinions may of course vary :) )

R1Wl2E6.jpg

8li6W2K.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on this Sony kit and it gives me some idea how the switch ( if I do ) will fit in with my photography, I will if I do swap, go with the 200-600mm for the extra reach though

Thats why i went for it ,the 100/400 is f8 with a tc and not as sharp as the 200/600 from what iv read oh and it costs a lot more-it has its merits a lot closer focus and lighter too but not what i want/ need.
Rob.

200-600mm isn't very good in low light simply because of the f6.3 aperture (but this is true of any brand with long telezooms). tbh if you want better performance you'll have to buy one of the expensive teleprimes. In decent light it's very good and works really well on my A7RIII.
I imagine it'll perform an order of magnitude better on A9.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on this Sony kit and it gives me some idea how the switch ( if I do ) will fit in with my photography, I will if I do swap, go with the 200-600mm for the extra reach though
Very good image. Lovely colour. Worth getting up early for that mist on the water. Would have been improved by the trees being more in focus. What aperture was used?

Then maybe consider the 100-400mm with a 1.4x or 2.0x teleconverter ( I have both and they do add a certain oomph :) - still a far superior lens to the 200-600mm in my opinion on full frame mirrorless.

A 3rd of a stop difference in f stop from f/5.6 on the 100-400 to f/6.3 on the 200-600 at their longest ends and the 200mm extra reach and the internal zoom makes it a good purchase, I can always put a 1.4x converter on the 200-600mm also with even more reach gained if need be. The A9 itself is supposed to be a great camera for low light performance which in theory would make up for the f/6.3 aperture.

The 100-400mm does focus ever so slightly faster and focuses much closer too. It's more compact to store. That's the main benefits of it.

Optics wise both are about equal. It's down to sample variations and individual copies IMO.
But 200-600mm is definitely slightly sharper than 100-400+1.4x (all of which I owned :) )

The 100-400mm is certainly more versatile and I'd carry it more. The 200-600mm is definitely lens I only carry if I am sure to shooting wildlife. Otherwise it gets left at home!

Horses for courses really.

Back