Sony Alpha 7 III - Heavy Vignetting

Name
Stuart Samuels
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi.

I have the Sony Alpha 7 III and recently bought the MEIKE MK-35mm F/1.4 lens to use with it. However, the vignetting is incredibly heavy, to the point where the lens is pretty much unusable. Have I made a mistake? Is the lens perhaps incompatible with the camera?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this.

Stuart

Hi.

I have the Sony Alpha 7 III and recently bought the MEIKE MK-35mm F/1.4 lens to use with it. However, the vignetting is incredibly heavy, to the point where the lens is pretty much unusable. Have I made a mistake? Is the lens perhaps incompatible with the camera?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this.

Stuart

Yes unfortunately it would seem you have made a mistake you have bought an APSC lens to use on a full frame camera.

If you want a 35mm there are quite a few options.

Samyang 35mm f/2.8 - Not very good a.f, not very sharp, but very cheap.
Samyang 35mm f/1.8- Not very good a.f, but very cheap.
Samyang 35 f/1.4 old version - Horrible rendering, terrible a.f reliability
Samyang 35mm f/1.4 new version - Rendering is nice enough, a.f can not be relied on to be reliable

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 art old version - Good lens, very sharp, struggles in backlit situations a little, a.f is reliable but can be a little bit pedestrian, also is large and heavy
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DN new version - Good lens, not as sharp as the old version, slightly quicker a.f
Sigma 35mm f/2 - Nice well built lens, image quality is nothing to write home about though
Sigma 35mm f/1.2 - Very nice lens weighs a metric ton though and is ridiculously large.

Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f/2.8 - Tiny lens, reliable and fast a.f
Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4 - Old lens design has nice rendering but has issues with being decentered.

Tamron 35mm f/2.8 - Cheap lens, not very sharp, rendering isn't that nice.

Sony 35mm f/1.8 - Decent lens, fast reliable a.f, focuses very close but bokeh can be a bit messy and rendering in some situations isn't nice
Sony 35mm f/1.4 GM - The daddy of them all, far and away the best option for a 35mm in the Sony system, excellent!

Probably forgot some of the other a.f options, and there is a metric ton of manual focus options as well as lenses that can be adpated from other systems/

I'm sure there a cheapish manual full frame lenses too.

Back