Sony Alpha A200

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Just had a mate ask me if this Sony is ok as he is thinking of getting one. Not having used one myself, does anybody here have one? what are your views? If possible could you post up a couple of pics that you have taken with it? Its better to give him a review from a real user :LOL:
Cheers

I've got one, and as I'm a newbie, it seems spot on IMHO..

"The purists" will tell you stay away no doubt, but I reckon its spot on for the cash..

Seems there are a few on here that use them.

yeah definitely. Sony has only been producing their DSLR range for the last couple of years yet they have managed to achieve a lot of the dslr camera market share already, keeping Canon & Nikon on their toes!
I think they're great, a lot more modern and clean cut looking too :)
I have the Sony A100, and i have very little complaints, but maybe just noise at high ISOs. But Sony have responded to this and made the A200 much better at noise handling I read.

i agree that sony are producing some quality DSLR's...i initially had the A100,then got myself the A350,and now also have the A700 which is a real beauty...especially when shooting at the high ISO's in poor light.the A200 is basically an A350,but without the liveview,and 10.2MP instead of the 14.2 that the A350 has...

here's a few shots taken with my A350....

beefiltered-1.jpg

DSC00854_filteredcopy.jpg

heron-2-web.jpg

abbeyfalls1.jpg

Cheers Stan thats spot on :)

I moved over from the Canon 400D to the sony a200 because I felt more comfortable with it. I am very much the amature user and have a very little knowledge base but I am very happy with the results. If I can get by using it then believe me anyone can. See my flicker for samples taken by someone who still struggles with the basics.

Sony has only been producing their DSLR range for the last couple of years yet they have managed to achieve a lot of the dslr camera market share already
they got a definite leg up by buying Konica Minolta's DSLR division with all their experience.
imo it's very, very hard to beat the A200 for vfm as a starter DSLR (& it's very capable of producing professional results in the right hands).

This is one of the shots I took first time out with my Sony Alpha 300
Love it!

6r4.jpg

i am thinking of buying an A200K to take some rally snaps with. would you guys advise me yes or no?? Its a very affordable camera well within my price range!

Ive got the a200 and am very happy with it, you will need a longer lens than the kit lens to get close enough though, a sigma 70-300 are popular and is what i have got. what you need to do though is go and see how it fits in your hand

I love mine! I dont know enough to know what a more expensive camera will do that this one doesnt (apart from live vie but i can live with that) and i am so happy with mine. go to a camera shop and hold a few and see how they feel

at the min i have a fujifilm finepix s1000fd and its a real comfortable little camera and dead easy to use. the sony caught my eye earlier and i quite liked it! Just hope itl do the job i need it for!

Anyone know if the A200 has been discontinued as loads of shops no longer have it in stock. Jessops, Curry's, Jacobs, John Lewis etc all have either removed it from there websites or have no stock. Some places have the double lens pack deals available but not the single lens.

Although I have no experience with Canon/Nikon cameras I will recommend the Sony to you. I have the A300 which on paper is pretty much the same camera apart from the sensor size and Live view (which I don't really use).

I did have a play around with a friends Canon 500d and functionality wise I'd say they were on a par (not including the HD video) and they're very easy to use. I had a mess with a Nikon and found the Sony interface to be far more user friendly.

Check my Flickr for shots (link in signature) with the A300 - PS. Old Minolta lenses fit straight onto the Sony 'Alpha' slot. My 50mm is a Minolta lens.

ive had my sony alpha200 since december, and ive had nothing but joy using it. this is my first dslr camera and i have found it so easy to get to grips with and imho i think the picture quality is superb for a dslr of this price.

Ive had my sony a300 since july and i love it.Its the same camera but with live view. As a started dslr i dont think you can go wrong. Its easy to use with the buttons in all the right places. I bought a new lens for it to get more range and love it.

Here is one from donnington with the 70-300mm sigma

Fcportocar.jpg

And here is one with the standard 18-70mm lens

DSC00621.jpg

Anyone know if the A200 has been discontinued as loads of shops no longer have it in stock. Jessops, Curry's, Jacobs, John Lewis etc all have either removed it from there websites or have no stock. Some places have the double lens pack deals available but not the single lens.
it's been replaced recently by the A230 but there should still be plenty of stock around atm.
the A230 is so new that it's still at initial pricing rather than dropped the usual ~30% or so that DSLR bodies do after a few months.

It's a great camera (y)

I bought an A700 recently and gave my A200 to my father-in-law. He's retiring in a couple of weeks and has been looking to take up photography. The A200 was top of his list. He was chuffed to get one for nowt! :)

sony a300 owner here.
I think you can't really go wrong with Nikon, Canon or Sony newish bodies as there are differing lens choice.

those are fantastic exileded, absolutely amazing shots! I'll hopefully get my camera today and will be at the Lurgan Park Rally on Saturday so I'll see how it goes! But again those photos are amazing, i love the last one! :)

those are fantastic exileded, absolutely amazing shots! I'll hopefully get my camera today and will be at the Lurgan Park Rally on Saturday so I'll see how it goes! But again those photos are amazing, i love the last one! :)

Your welcome, and I'm sure you'll love the Camera(y) Make sure you buy the twin lens kit option if you can, the 75-300 is a perfect introductory lens for motorsports!

As for our poor man crashing here is the whole sequence, 3fps is plenty for catching the action:D

Crash1.jpg

Crash2.jpg

Crash3.jpg

who knew stony ground was so bouncy...

I've got a 200 with sony 75-300mm, and as a complete novice (with aspirations to progess) i absolutely love it, but i'm pretty sure i'll be changing the body for a 700 next year, the 200 is only an entry level DSLR anyway, and for the price i paid, a damn good buy. :D

Back